XM Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM Radio

Actually, this isn't accurate. I don't actually hate XM radio, but I'll admit, it can get under my skin sometimes. Let me explain.

in early 2010, I bought a brand new Chevy Cobalt. This Cobalt came with a free year's subscription to XM radio. I enjoyed that free year, listening to it fairly often in the car. When the free year was up, I didn't get a paid subscription.

Several months after that free trial ended, I started getting these notices in the mail from XM. They were offering me a five month subscription for $25. I think it's usually about $12.00 a month, or something like that, so this was a pretty good deal. After I got a few offers for this in the mail, I thought, what they heck, and I bought my five months for $25.

XM gives you access to a pretty big selection of radio stations. Almost anything you want, they have. There are several news stations, several talk radio stations, some comedy stations, lots of different music stations. However, I've found that this makes XM subject to the same fate as a cable TV subscription: you have access to over 100 channels, but can't find anything you want to watch (or listen to, as is the case with XM).

For example, XM has several stations dedicated to decades. They have a fifties station, a sixties station, and so on. Basically, there's a station for every decade from the forties to the nineties (not sure if there is a 30s station or not). I try to listen to the 90s station, since, after all, that was my "coming of age" decade. I swear, though, they will pick the absolute worst songs from the 90s to play on that station. On top of that, to listen to that 90s station, you would think that people in the 90s rarely listened to anything other than rap, R&B, or dance music. The 70s station is even worse. Now, I know there was good music made back in the 70s, but they'll pick the most irritating songs from that decade to play (they do whenever I tune in, anyway).

It's not all bad, though. There is this one XM channel that is a station out of New York, and I usually enjoy it. Plus, it's still better than the local stations where I'll often have to hear six minutes of commercials before I hear any music. Still, it really is a lot like cable: lots of channels, but very little on that I'm interested in.

Maybe having less really is better sometimes.

This reminds me of The Paradox of Choice, which I was just reading in class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

Basically, we have too many choices these days, is the idea.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

If you're looking for 90's rock, like the grunge era type stuff, you might wanna check out Lithium (channel 34). Back before XM made hot sweet love with Sirius, I listened to that channel's predecessor most of the time. Flipped between that and the hard rock channel pretty much nonstop, unless I was in a news or talk radio mood.

And now you've made me want to re-up my XM account. Curse you.

Comment

I find alternative channels play a lot more of the good 90s music than the 90s channels do.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Kayln, if you've been unsubscribed for a while, you might be able to get them to give you that five months for $25 like I got. I kind of thought that was why they offered it to me, just to try to lure me back.

I actually did find the Lithium channel one time. I'm not sure why I didn't stay on it, because that's pretty much what I listened to in the 90s. Well, not completely. I did like Nirvana. But I also listened to Bush and Creed (probably not considered grunge). I rarely hear those when I tune in to the 90s channel.

The other day, when I had that 90s channel on, they played "Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio, and I was pleased, since that song does have some neat memories for me. However, right after "Gangsta's Paradise" ended, they played a Savage Garden song. Not that Savage Garden is bad, but it's kind of hard to get in a Savage Garden mood after listening to something like Gangsta's Paradise.

Comment

I was just browsing the available channels on the website. There's an entire channel devoted to Pearl Jam. I told my husband. He says, "I like Pearl Jam. I just don't know if I could get behind a 24/7 Pearl Jam channel."

Comment

I got XM when I got my 2007 Impala. For the most part, I love it, but you're right. I do find myself flipping through stations a lot. You know what song I've heard over and over on the 90s channel? That stupid Humpty Hump song! Gah! It was enough to make me not listen! Also, there are far more sports stations than anyone could ever want or need. I mean really. I mostly stick to the rock statiions, with a few top 40s thrown in. The one the OP mentioned out of New York is one of my favorites as well. Overall, I think it's mostly worth the money, even if it does have its low points.

Comment

Working...
              X