Fiscal Irresponsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiscal Irresponsibility

I ran into a bit of a quandary this week. The short version is that I've been saving up heavily for solar panelling, which under the current government is a good deal as you get paid back about three times the value of the electricity - it means people are more likely to install panels as an investment. Fair enough, I was up for that, and the cut-off was about March next year. That fell through and even if Ihad the money right now the stuff couldn't be installed until after December the 12th.

I'll not bore you with the details, but effectively I've been saving fairly heavily for a while and I have a chunk of change (not that huge - could spend it tomorrow and not notice - could get a smart phone and a computer and some car repairs that aren't urgent and see most of it go) that I now have what I recognise to be first world problem syndrome over. Sure, there are several things I could use it on, up to and including building up to what my Grandad always said of keeping three months worth of income in the bank just in case. He ... had many jobs in his lifetime.

Of two main mates I'd consider asking for advice, I'd get radically different advice. One would mostly be of the attitude of not being able to take it with you, so spend it on foreign trips and ladies of negotiable affection. Heh, Holidays and Whores, not a game you'd get from TSR etc. He has a few investments at the moment anyway, so it's fine for him. The other would be trying to attain a high score at any and every cost. Both suggestions have their good and bad points. Mix and match?

So, I'm doing the first world problem thing and thinking about this as I arrived at my parents today. My father's basically an idiot when it comes to money and they only owe seventy percent of their house as a result. He's also heavily in credit card debt and so on and so forth. The details aren't fun, but suffice it to say where money is concerned he's a moron. He's mid-sixties and still having to work. Should be retired by now.

So, I get up there and as usual their computer's going funny, but not replicating it while I'm there. As usual, he can't tell me what the messages were, and he never writes these down. As usual, I tell him to write them down as well as what he was doing - in one ear, out the other. As I'm there, he's jabbering on about how he thinks he'll just get another computer to stop the troubles he's having. With sodding what?

Oh, and they've had a bloke around to measure up for new carpets, and someone's around tomorrow to price up replacing three sealed units in their double-glazing...

Hang on a fucking minute. He was falling over himself to tell me all this. What's gone on? He then excitedly starts to show me paperwork from a bank. There was a pensions mis-selling thing a while back and the banks were forced to pay compensation for selling shit pensions. Apparently he had four things taken out with them and there's a five-figure chunk of change coming his way. It seems like he's got most of it spent already.

Granted, the carpets in question are somewhat tatty, and yes there is condensation in the sealed units in the double-glazing, but not really the sort of things you'd consider major investments if you were broke. I asked the obvious - you're going to make inroads into your debts with this, aren't you?

Let's just say that I didn't consider his reply to be satisfactory. Then he said he'd had a bad couple of weeks for work (courier driver - self-employed) and could he borrow half a grand for a few days? You know, until this money had come in.

The fuck?

I can't do as much overtime as I used to. That money is time out of my life - over a week's income on top of the ordinary work I do. Sure, I've got it and don't have plans yet, and I've lent him stuff before and got it back (eventually). Yes, I've seen the paperwork and the money's coming in in the near future, but the daft fucker can't spend it fast enough.

*sigh*

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

honestly? this may sound cold, but let them worry about their own finances.
    if you dont want to spend all the money in one go, but know you wont be getting solar panels any time soon, why not sock half the dough into your retirement savings? let it gather intrest for ya.

also, i think we are gonna get those solar panels on the farmland. seems like a good way to use up some of the extra space, and still make income over the off-season.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Locally, according to according to this site I'd need about 6 panels to power my home. 6 panels, at $1,000 (US) is a bit more than I can afford. Plus, even if I could...I'd never get my money back. My monthly electric bill is usually around $40. It would take me over 3 years to get a return on my investment. Sure, I'd get a tax break, of $1,800, and a rebate from the Feds of up to 35% of the cost...would it really be worth it? I can't see the point of spending thousands...to save $40 a month.

Back on topic, my own parents are in debt up to their eyeballs. Some of it was because there was very little money coming in for most of the 1980s and '90s. Dad was out of work, the bills piled up, forcing them to borrow heavily. They're just now starting to get out of that mess. What didn't help, is that they both went back to school for advanced degrees. Dad's been teaching full-time, and my mom is going to retire from the health department (a job she hates), and will guest-lecture at colleges.

What has me going is that even though they're in debt...they've done some expensive repairs to their home. The most recent? They redid their family room...including new carpeting, furniture, new windows and doors. I know what that stuff costs, since my dad told me. He was a bit annoyed about it, because he knows that they're in debt...and thinks that they should be more worried about that, instead of what their family room looks like.

Raps, you can only do so much. I no longer worry about my parents' finances. If they screw up again, it's their problem...and I'm not getting involved in it. I can say that it's served up as a learning tool. That is, what *not* to do. Watching things unravel helped me become more careful with my money. That's why I don't spend it foolishly, and won't make a big purchase, without carefully doing a lot of research, and weighing my options. What can I say, other than I'm an accountant?

That's how I was able to buy a new car...and beat the dealership at their own game. I found, that I could cash in a CD, finance the rest...and up with a monthly payment that was less than half of the *lease* payment. Plus, I wouldn't be paying as much in interest over the life of the loan.

Comment

In my case it would be costing me fifty quid a month for three years, until the finance had paid off, and then it would pay me fifty quid a month on average for the remaining twenty-two years of the scheme.

In those terms, yes - it's about a nine-year payback, but then free money.

I've got to look into other options, such as photothermic cells on the roof (generate central heating that way), but right now I'm thinking I could live a little, save a chunk, or do all sorts of other things.

As it stands, though, my father is a salutory lesson of who not to be when it's money involved.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
        X