LoL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoL

I hate "filler" text messages, or if I were chatting online, responses like "lol". Why? Because what I just said wasn't funny. If you don't know what to say, you don't have to reply. We can text or chat later. I'm not the type of person who goes apeshit because someone doesn't answer me. My mom and I drop conversations and start them over several times during the week, I usually quit responding because I went to sleep for the day, and we can't really talk before I go to work because she's leaving work by then. I've had conversations go on and off for several days with friends.

I hate when someone texts me, something like "Morning, what's up?" and I reply "Going to the gym pretty soon" and the answer is "lol", and then I say "brb" and an hour and a half or so later, I text back "Alright, back!" and I get "lol" as a response, and then I say "So what's for dinner at your place tonight?" and they answer "Pizza" and I say "Oh nice. Just got Subway." and I get "lol" as a response.

Really? Am I that boring, or are you that unable to hold a conversation? I just made a new rule today, after 3 "lol" replies, I'm not answering anymore until they respond with something halfway intelligent, meaning anything BUT lol.

lol

I am so sorry for doing that.
    Yes, I know what you mean. It is lazy just to type so little. It shows they don't give a damn.

Comment

It's the second.

"lol" has become the go-to phrase for the conversationally-challenged. They can't not say something, but they have nothing to say.

Alternately, it's also the go-to phrase for douchebags who like to pretend that the insults they're slinging aren't really insults and they're just joking.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Nah, it's "just kidding!" or "just playing around!" or something defensive, a tactic to play victim when someone's crossed the line with their joking. My great aunt and her daughter are freaking experts at that game.

Sorry this is such a petty rant but good lord it just chaps my ass. We are not bound to have to chat for hours on end. If you have nothing to say and can't think of anything, I won't cry if you don't answer back.

Or, alternating between a few "lol"s and then a "haha" or two.

Comment

I'll admit that I use LOL a bit. But when I use it, I'm actually acknowledging that someone said something funny.

Something to the effect of...

Friend - My cat was chasing a fly and walked right off the coffee table. Stupid Cat
          Me - LOL

Which in a real face to face conversation would be where I would respond to that comment with actual laughter. Then either I'd reply with something to follow along the "stupid cats" thread of the conversation or let my friend continue on.

I do agree that LOL does get over used and to the point where it is simply a filler comment because someone couldn't be arsed to figure out something intelligent to reply with.
          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I use "lol" when something is funny. Generally, I try not to use it by itself, unless I'm being a prick back to the "lol" person texting me.

It's just like, texts like "Leaving for work" or "Just got home" or "Going to go to bed soon", do NOT warrant a "lol" response.

It's just damn irritating.

Comment

I luckily haven't experienced this with texts. But I see 'lol' sprawled all over FB statuses where they really have no need, and it bothers the hell out of me -.- There's one girl I'm friends with who uses them so liberally it's as if she's getting paid every time she uses one. She'll have these serious statuses about how difficult it is being a single mom going to college, and yet she'll toss in 'lol' at least 4 times. Seriously? What's so funny about the fact that you're struggling? Sure, people sometimes laugh when things are really tough to keep from totally cracking up, but she does it All. The. Fucking. Time. Honestly, people, 'lol' is not a form of punctuation!

Comment

"Lol" isn't particularly appropriate.... but it sounds like, in the original example, they're just trying to send *something* that lets you know they've read your message, and don't at the moment have anything more to say. Should they say "roger" instead?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  Should they say "roger" instead?
                  If I don't have a response to a person's post I respond with Ok.

I will post LOL by itself if what they said is funny if what they said is funny.

Honestly adding anything to LOL is not always necessary. Someone says a joke I LOL to let them know it made me laugh then if I have something to say I say it but just adding stuff on so the LOL isn't by itself would like sitting in a movie theater laughing at a bit then turning to your right and explaining to the person there why you laughed.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

That's so irritating.

I have an ex bf (great friend, shitty boyfriend) who texts 'lol' or 'haha' alot. It's generally when he's busy at work and doesn't want people to feel ignored. I told him most people (me included) would rather receive nothing than 'lol' or 'haha', particularly in response to something that's not funny.

I mean, it's nice that he thinks he's doing the right thing, but still frustrating.
                    Last edited by Peppergirl; 11-23-2011, 03:44 AM. Reason: think's is not the same as thinks

Comment

Whilst I find it slightly irking, I tend to temper this by remembering they're at least laughing. Far better than crying or running away.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I gotta go with Pepper. Not that I'm ungrateful that they aren't trying to do the right thing and keep the conversation going, but that they really aren't, though. It's just filler messages of the same word over and over to avoid not saying anything. So annoying.

Comment

See also: this, I agree, bump, discuss...

Comment

Bump it really depends on the forum.

For example a fan fiction forum I like people will Bump a story they like to let the author know people are still eagerly awaiting for further chapters.

It often is the push the author needs to realize people do like their work and would like more of it.
                            Jack Faire
                            Friend
                            Father
                            Smartass

Comment

Personally, I find "ok" or "k" messages annoying. I usually only use texting for quick FYI messages that don't require a response, or to ask about something specific when I don't have time to call the recipient. I don't generally text just to chit chat. Unless I'm asking a question, I'm not really looking for a response. I'm just communicating a quick message.

Comment

Working...
                              X