People Bashing My Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Bashing My Generation

I was born in 1982. According to most sources, this makes me a member of Generation Y or a Millennial (whichever term you prefer). Now, most sources indicate that members of the previous generation, Generation X, were born roughly between 1965 and 1980 (the ranges for each generation vary somewhat depending on which sources you consult). Therefore, I'm kind of on the cusp of these two generations and could probably reasonably identify with either of them.

I don't know if it's just me, but there seems to be some scorn for this generation that I happen to belong to. We're portrayed as entitled, lazy, angry, wanting to blow up buildings and kill people, etc. Nonetheless, here are some sources that give some facts about this generation.

http://www.newamerica.net/files/nafm...l_Pendulum.pdf

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1501/mil...chnology-bound

Some highlights are that the Millennials are less racist than previous generations, less homophobic than previous generations, and have more formal education than previous generations. They are a little less religious than previous generations (which isn't a bad thing or a good thing). Also, as the PewResearch article points out, more than a few of them have a piercing or a tattoo, but this really isn't a bad or good thing. Besides, it also points out that many of the tattooed ones have their tats in places where they are covered by clothing.

As for the accusations of laziness, well, there are lazy people in all groups and all age demographics. Granted, unemployment is pretty high among the Millennial generation, but to be fair, many of them have been hit pretty hard by the recession. Many of them went to college (like they were told they should do) only to get out and not be able to find jobs that paid well enough to live the life that adults typically do.

As for the accusations of being angry, surly, etc. Once again, these people can be found in all groups. When I worked in retail, I was treated like crap by many people from older generations. But of course, as soon as someone meets someone under 30 who acts the same way, it's "Gee, what's with this generation?" Pure confirmation bias.

Oh, there's one more accusation that gets thrown at us, and that's that we're "coddled," "over parented," etc. Well, if that's true, then it's not our fault. It's the fault of our parents, as they would have been the ones doing the "coddling."

Meh. Kids are kids are kids. Any quote about kids you can find today will likely be the same, at it's heart, as some comment made by Socrates.

Besides, if Millennials are worse than Gen Xers, the blame should go to the Baby Boomers who birthed and raised these kids and not necessarily to the kids themselves.

Ultimately, the biggest issue for most is that Millennials usually have a different outlook on society than their predecessors to the degree that makes those previous generations uncomfortable and perceiving a lack of sufficient commonality.

Generation bashing isn't really much different than any other form of demographic group bigotry.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've had dozens of co-workers and employees over the years, and I don't think laziness is generational. There are lazy people and hard workers in every generation. At least, this is my personal experience.

I've never seen this so-called "sense of entitlement" that we're supposed to have, either. If anything, my generation seems to understand that jobs are hard to come by, and we're lucky to have found one.

Comment

Talkin' bout my generation!

But seriously, I get so tired of this. I remember overhearing some old bitty at a restaurant talking about how this generation of kids are not hard workers like back then. How when they were told to work, they did it no questions asked! I actually took it as a compliment, it means I'm willing to question things and not just bow down to authority.

I could probably come up with my own stereotypes about their generation. They're uptight, homophobic, racist, and bitter. However, that would be stooping to their level.

Comment

It's super funny because two generations back were bitching about the previous generation and so on and so forth. It's like every generation forgets how bad they were when they were young.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I always figured each generation hates the next one because the next one is tired of the previous one's bullshit. Think about it - at one time, it was acceptable to beat your kids. Not anymore, and now without being issued random beatings, kids are a little harder to control. ALL SPOILED BRATS I TELL YOU!

Comment

was born in 1980 so also on the cusp but i wish to say the source is wrong

i was brought up to try to be open minded or put myself in the other person's shoes.
              be accepting of other religions, beliefs, traditions and mannerisms. of other people in general.
              respect your elders even though they may get on your nerves they had it harder than you. and after a while i did listen and did all i could to help my grandparents when they became ailing because after all the hardships some comfort was deserved. and i kind of understand my granny's point of view and why she was so "crotchety" and grumpy. because her kids and grandkids were spoiled and these kids today and so on....(i miss her)
              even if its not a well paying job take it to get your foot in the door and work your way up or just hold on for now until you can move on to a better job. this was of course WAAAY before the crisis of economy that we have now
              i didn't go to college and still managed to get a semi managerial position.
              but i also have bad motivation skills but manage my time well.
              have no tattoos used to have ears pierced...etc...not that this matters but...i suppose one of the few that say the sources for my generation are wrong.

i may be lazy but only because i worked my butt off and am too damn tired to move
              Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
              Yeah we're so over, over
              Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

1990 here, so definitely Gen Y.

I see this quite a bit. In fact, one of the more common arguments that crops up on AdelaideNow tends to involve something along the lines of young people being "irresponsible, lazy, no respect for the general public etc." (one of the areas where this crops up repeatedly is concerning P-Platers and road rules) My boyfriend (who's in the "most likely to do stupid shit" age-group) and I are both sensible drivers.

And then of course I tend to point out that there seems to be a consensus that around Age 30, you can forget about road rules. If you get caught, you can blame it on everyone but yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                  And then of course I tend to point out that there seems to be a consensus that around Age 30, you can forget about Road Rules.
                  Yeah I am 31 and trying but that piece of crap show is still stuck in some part of my brain
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

What gets me is when someone will say this despite the fact that they work with or are around several Millennials who work hard, try to do things right, etc. Yet there are still a few hypothetical ones off in some obscure place who are taking down civilization.

And I do know that a job is hard to come by. It took me about a year to find the one I have now. I'm very thankful for it, and I put my all into it.

Comment

I was born in 1981. I have held a job for ten years--okay, it's a C-Store job, but it's still a job. I have very rarely called out or asked for time off. I am open-minded, not racist and definitely NOT bigoted. It was thanks to my mother (born in 1946, rest her soul) that I AM so open-minded. My father, too. People can blame our generation all they want, but, from my view, a lot of how people act as adults is in how they're raised as children. Not blaming anyone for anything-- a lot of it is the environment, economy, etc. Just something to think about there is all.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post

I don't know if it's just me, but there seems to be some scorn for this generation that I happen to belong to. We're portrayed as entitled, lazy, angry, ...

...As for the accusations of laziness, well, there are lazy people in all groups and all age demographics. Granted, unemployment is pretty high among the Millennial generation, but to be fair, many of them have been hit pretty hard by the recession. Many of them went to college (like they were told they should do) only to get out and not be able to find jobs that paid well enough to live the life that adults typically do.
                        As I've pointed out to some of my mother's friends, you spent our entire childhood telling us how there was nothing worse than flipping burgers and to go to college, well, we went to college and now the only jobs are flipping burgers and we still have to pay off our five figure student loans we got because you told us we'd be successful if we went to college. How would you act in that situation?
                        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

This cracked article has a good view on this topic.

Comment

I was born in 1974..so no clue. As for working, I did farm work since old enough to go collect the eggs..and have a couple of times pulled my parents from living on the street. Currently not doing so well, but I've been down before and came back. So yep, just a lazy shiftless bum

Comment

Has anyone else notcied that there's somewhat of an inter-generational rift in Gen Y, or is it just how things are over here? The other night I was chatting with some other 80's-born people and they were whinging about how bad the 90's born lot were and how they have no work ethic, they're lazy, they're irresponsible and disrespectful, etc.

My little sister was a 90's baby, and she works really hard. She's always busy, is great with customers and is already in charge of training new employees. Kitty hates training teenagers because most of them seem to just want to stand around and look pretty instead of doing their jobs properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X