"You're welcome!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're welcome!"

This phrase has been misused twice in the last few weeks by several Facebook friends.

Example the first:

Status update: "Victoria's Secret fashion show on TV? You're welcome!". Written by a lawyer specializing in international copyright law. Has, to my knowledge, never been professionally or personally involved with Victoria's Secret or the fashion industry in general. What is he taking credit for, exactly?

Example the second:

"[Status update regarding some particularly homo-erotic scene involving attractive men in a popular film]. Followed by "You're welcome!". Written by a moderately successful author of gay erotica, but who has no screenplays to his credit, and certainly not this one (I think it was "300" he was referring to). Here he seems to be taking credit for ALL homo-erotic scenes, regardless of whether he wrote them or not.

A minor annoyance, I know. But I was wondering if anyone else knows someone who does this.

Did either of these include links?

If they did, the "you're welcome" bit is supposed to be funny. It's a joke about having made said link available to those who might otherwise not have found the content.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Nope, no links! If they'd given links, I'd understand the joke.

I don't think they understood that you have to provide something to be thanked, and therefore be able to say, "You're welcome".

Comment

Unless the action for which they believe they should be thanked is *not* providing a link...

(There are times when that would make sense, but not in these examples. The second one *might* if the post had been made by and to strongly homophobic people, but clearly that's not the case. At least, if such people write gay erotica, it's not likely to be erotic )
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The second his "You're Welcome" sounds more like he is taking credit for being an influential author and assuming it's because of his work that more homoerotic scenes are coming into being.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Working...
          X