OCD is not an adjective!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCD is not an adjective!

I really hate when people use OCD as an adjective; for instance, "I can't believe how OCD I was today, I reorganized my whole bookshelf based on the alphabet!" or "Stop acting so OCD".

Not only does this assume that OCD is only having to do with wanting things to be a certain way (that's Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), but it also is completely insulting! I mean, you wouldn't go up to a complete stranger and say "Hey, stop being so (sorry mods) retarded!", yet somehow it's ok to take another disorder and use it in that way.

Not to mention the fact that it's not even grammatically correct; "Stop acting so Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"? It only makes people who use it look unintelligent, and insults those of us who actually struggle with OCD every day. By using this term so casually, people trivialize it.

OCD sucks, and it's not something that I would ever wish on anyone. I actually had someone tell me "wow, I wish I had OCD; my room would be so clean!" Yeah, except you'd also be driving yourself insane about the germs on the walls and having to do all these crazy compulsions that take up half your day. Yeah, other than that, it's a freaking cakewalk.

In short, don't use OCD as an adjective, and don't tell people you'd like to have it. You just might get the one person with OCD who suddenly feels the need to throw something on you... to get rid of the germs, of course.

People do it with ADD too and any other disorder that became Popular at any point.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

If, in some hypothetical other case, someone wanted an adjective form, what would the appropriate one be?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Happens a lot with depression, too. As a sufferer of clinical depression, it does get on my nerves a bit when people say "Oh I'm so depressed cuz my parents told me to tidy my room and I wanted to go out"; especially coming from teenagers who have no idea what depression actually is and think it's just feeling a bit sad. -.-
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I use it, and I'm not that concerned over offending someone who can't leave the house because they are afraid of the germs on the door handle. I may be able to leave the house, but I've been nearly late for work many a time because I found a hair on the bathroom rug or a few puddles still in the shower or I feel the floor is still too dirty, or I think I need to Febreeze the couch again and get the smoke smell off my jacket or whatever. It is OCD, and my mom is the one who uses it offensively.

She constantly screams at me to "QUIT BEING OCD!" when all I'm doing is trying to fluff the couch pillows. She even yelled at me for that when I felt a tick on the dog, and was throwing a fit because it was big and juicy and had obviously been there for days, or when Baby the cat got into something in the basement and it was sticky and she managed to scratch off some of the fur on her face.

Comment

Oh, stop being so Bubonic Plague!
            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Not being used as an adjective here, but if you're in the modd to get mad, check this out:
              http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/med/2749057707.html

Comment

Working...
              X