Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love my sister, but she drives me nuts sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my sister, but she drives me nuts sometimes.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before. I love my sister to death, but there are times when she drives me completely insane. I don't think she does it on purpose, but...it happens. It's almost always about the same two things too- Food and money. What happened today threw me for a complete loop, though.

She called to ask me what I want for Christmas, and I happened to mention to her that I was planning on buying the boxed set of the first three Dresden Files books for her husband. So we got to talking about the books, and the following ensued:

Her: "So how many books are in the series?"
    Me: "Either 12 or 13, I think. I'm not sure."
    Her: "And you have all of them?"
    Me: "Yep. I have all of them and have read them all twice."
    Her: "So why not just give him *your* copies?"
    Me: *O.o* "Be...cause they're mine?"
    Her: "Don't you have a Kindle? Are you using that still?"
    Me: "Well, yeah, but..."

Not sure if, by her logic, having a Kindle means that I should give away all my books or what I still have every intention of buying him those books, but....it was just weird.

Um... how about 'cause you want to give him new copies?

I think her logic is that if you just give him yours, you can give him the whole series and they won't have to shell out for the rest of the series.

That's just a guess.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some people are thinking that e-reader means you're not buying physical books anymore. Which is bull but hey they can keep thinking that. So her logic is probably "well, you're going to be getting them in ebook format, why not just get rid of the old copies?"
      I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
        Some people are thinking that e-reader means you're not buying physical books anymore.
        Not always bull. I don't buy physical books anymore and I gave all of my physical books away. I bought an E-Reader for that very purpose.

As to the OP it sounds like your sister is coming from the "read it once" school of thought. In fact she may not understand your desire to reread them and even be seeing your not giving him the books as being selfish which is obviously a screwed up thought in and of itself.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

There's also the cost involved in re-buying what you already have. It's not like Kindle copies are free just because you've already read the book.

Some people also would see a different message if you *were* replacing the physical books with e-books. Depending on the giver and the recipient, "I loved this, thought you would too, and got you a copy" is one thing, and "I'm upgrading and getting rid of my old stuff. Here, have some" quite another.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            I think her logic is that if you just give him yours, you can give him the whole series and they won't have to shell out for the rest of the series.
            Yep, it could be that she's just cheap.

Count me in as one of the people who still buys books. I spend all day at work staring at computer screens. Unless I'm surfing the web at home, why would I want to do that in my leisure time? Plus, reading things on a screen is a bit draining after awhile--too much strain on my eyeballs. Plus, I can't justify spending $200 to buy one of those things...when I could buy an entire shelf of paperbacks for that same amount

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
              Yep, it could be that she's just cheap.
              She definitely can be. Unless it's money that's being spent on her, and sometimes even then, she feels the need to grumble and complain about the expense as though it's her money that's being spent.

Originally posted by protege View Post
              Count me in as one of the people who still buys books.
              I'm very much the same way. Yes, I do have a Kindle. Yes, I do like it very much because it's more convenient than carrying 4 paperbacks at a time (which is what I used to do whenever we went on a trip anywhere). No, that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop buying books. I have three basic reasons why I still buy books-

1) There are some books that the paperback version is cheaper than the Kindle one.

2) Believe it or not, there are some books that aren't *on* the Kindle.

3) If the battery on my Kindle dies, as it is wont to do when I forget that I have the Wi-Fi turned on, I like to have a backup while it's recharging. Because I am one of those people who, unless it's to go out to dinner or a show or to hang out with friends, doesn't like to leave the house without something to read.

Comment

Working...
              X