Fanboys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanboys

I love Star Trek. I love Zelda games. I love a lot of things that I will geek out about. If you say Luke Skywalker was in Star Trek I will politely correct your factual error to help keep you looking like an idiot.

But I am not a fanboy. I don't care about the technical specs of the Enterprise or any other topic you want to discuss until your blue in the face. I enjoy these shows and movies because they were fun to watch.

That being said let me explain I posted a comment on my facebook page that made a reference to a series of video games and an annoying factor that was in one of them.

Because I was not specific about the game in the series and just cited the series overall a person "corrected" me and said, "You mean Ocarina of Time" *facepalm*

The thing is yes everyone that has played the games knew which game I was talking about correcting me on something that isn't a factual error is unnecessary and annoying.

Getting into arguments about petty little things that don't even matter to the story bad.

Citing that Guinan said a line in an earlier episode of TNG that foreshadowed a later episode that's fine

But telling me in detail the specs of the Warp Drive seriously I don't care let it go.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post

But I am not a fanboy.
    Yes you are.

Sorry. Golden quote from Yahtzee.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ilbag-Showdown

I recommend you watch that video link I just posted. It shows the emails of fanboys of Super Smash Bros Brawl who are responding to a review done by Yahtzee.
    Watch as he corrects their poor grammar and spelling.

Fanboys and girls can be really aggressive (see bronies and Twilight Fans).
    Its mind boggling.

Comment

if you are a fan of something in general you can be seen as a fanboy. but fans, as all things, come in degrees. you can be a star trek fanboy without being a hardcore trekkie. or a starwars geek without being in the 501 legion.
      never got this competitiveness amongst fan groups of "i know/do more so im a real fan and you're not!" pfft tell them to stuff themselves and just do what ya want.
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        Because I was not specific about the game in the series and just cited the series overall a person "corrected" me and said, "You mean Ocarina of Time" *facepalm*
        This struck me as hilarious. Isn't "facepalm" usually reserved for commenting on those occasions where the mistake is obvious and the correct answer is common knowledge and/or common sense?

Your friend is so firmly ensconced in the Realm of Geekdom that he doesn't realize that this isn't common knowledge.

I have no fucking idea what "Ocarina of Time" is, and I'm a fully functional and intelligent adult.

This is the problem with fanboys, I guess. They assume that their pet interest is of such great importance that everyone else is an idiot for not understanding it.

Comment

@ boozy:
          OOT is a zelda thing.
          it's kinda like if he had made a star wars quote and got corrected with the specific movie it was from. in the end its still a star wars referance, so correcting is pointless.
          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
            @ boozy:
            OOT is a zelda thing.
            it's kinda like if he had made a star wars quote and got corrected with the specific movie it was from. in the end its still a star wars referance, so correcting is pointless.
            Except for those that play the equivelant of name that tune, who can then say the film the actors/characters involved and even act out the whole damn scene.

I myself just enjoy starwars for what it is, Ive read a few expanded universe books and my brother has played some of the games, but neither of us could lay claim to knowledge grater than anyone else who has seen the movies more than once, granted when we saw the trilogy marathon in the 80's we knew the answers to all the questions asked in the intervals, but tbh I think most of the kids there did too.

I got myself the Haynes Falcon book as I've always wanted an inside look of it, online was conflicting for a while and the layout was different to the original toy, seeing as it was a purpous built set, the best souce would have been the blueprints.

The relaunched lego one seems to have the 'chess' set seating area in more or less the right place, but it's not info I would fail to live my life without, I don't feel fulfilled knowing it or better than anyone else either.

Not a fan on the newer Dalek's, but I understand the reason for change, but I don't like how the old guard acted in that episode, although the camo paint job rocks (got one for my desk) "would you like a cup of tea?" what next cybermen doing the ironing?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              This is the problem with fanboys, I guess. They assume that their pet interest is of such great importance that everyone else is an idiot for not understanding it.
              I once worked with someone...who had a bit of time on his hands. He felt that unless you knew *all* the stats for the Pittsburgh Steelers...that you weren't as big of a fan, and/or you were an idiot. My reaction? Sorry asshole, but I have better things to do with my time than remember a bunch of useless stats that really have no basis in the real world.

Comment

I'm a cosplayer, and lately I've moved from cosplaying Star Wars to doing my own original characters. At the latest con this year, I dressed up as the Avatar of One Penn Plaza, an NYC skyscraper. One lady came up to me and asked what I was. I explained it to her, saying that the costume was an original design. She was all like "Thank God, I don't lose geek cred for not knowing who you were!".

I have to admit, I find the mentality of "losing geek cred" to be strange. Really, there's so much stuff out there (whether you are into Anime, sci-fi, fantasy, whatever) that nobody can see or know everything.

But in terms of the fanboy mentality, I have to admit- some cosplayers get the opposite. I've heard from some SW cosplayers that more casual SW fans have been known to get in their faces, saying things like "It's geeks like you with your toy lightsabers who make us normal fans look bad!"

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post

I have to admit, I find the mentality of "losing geek cred" to be strange. Really, there's so much stuff out there (whether you are into Anime, sci-fi, fantasy, whatever) that nobody can see or know everything.
                  It can be strange, but there's a basis to it too. If you're into a particular genre, then there should be certain things you at least know or are aware of to be able to count yourself as a "geek" of that genre. Like you can't be a geek of Star Wars if you haven't seen the whole series. Or be an anime nerd if you aren't familiar with Akira. And I'm just saying be familiar with. Because there is so much info that you can't be a geek/nerd/whatever term you want to use for knowing way too much about a topic without being selective about which series/portion you concentrate in.
                  I has a blog!

Comment

There are a couple members of Ghostbusters Fans who are also in the 501st, and some of their nitpicking about the GB fan groups can get amusing. Apparently we are just 'nerds who run around in costume' because most of the chapters don't have a insanely detailed charter, and a lot of groups take some creative liberties with their uniforms because we can and it also helps keep the lawyers at bay. (wait, you're a member of the same rabid fanbase you're insulting...)

Pfft. What happened to just having fun with it?
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-12-2011, 03:20 AM.
                    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

^That's part of the reason why I started doing Original Character cosplay. Nobody to bitch and growl at me because my costume isn't made of the exact same type of inobtanium used in the movies or whatever.
                      The only thing I might have to worry about would be the property management of some skyscraper I personified getting mad at me if they ever found out
                      Heck, my One Penn Plaza costume attracted the attention of some of the real One Penn's security staff. When they found out what it was all about, they thought it was cool, and thought the building manager would get a kick out of it if he was around.

Although online, I do have to deal with the occasional idiot- one such person said that to her, if she saw somebody cosplaying a building, she would assume that the person was crazy and should be avoided. Yeah, I raked her over the coals for that one, and the slew of other ignorant comments she made. Let's see- Using mental health as a basis for insult? Check. Perpetuating the stigma associated with, and trivializing genuine mental illness? Check. Close-mindedness and ignorance? Check. Gee, I'm sorry that cosplaying something other than Anime is too much for you to wrap your head around, little girl. And I'm sorry that apparently, I've got too much imagination for you to comprehend.
                      I guess that's another sort of fanboy/fangirl I can't stand- The ones who are so close-minded, they can't see or refuse to try and understand anything outside of their personal fandom.
                      Last edited by Amanita; 12-11-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I really want to see one of these building cosplays now. This may be the best idea ever.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I've seen all of the live-action Star Wars films (including the Christmas Special).
                          I've seen the majority of the Star Trek films (except for the first, oddly enough, and I don't think I saw Nemesis but I saw most of Generations?)

Er, anyway, my point is.. I still forget which series uses "photon" and which uses "proton."
                          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
                            I've seen all of the live-action Star Wars films (including the Christmas Special).
                            Oh god...I'm sorry? Why did you do that to yourself?
                            I has a blog!

Comment

Here's my One Penn cosplay with the headdress:
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/3121754...in/photostream

Here it is before I completed the crown, and had to use a wig instead. The braids were my elevator cables
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/3121754...n/photostream/

There's a bunch more NYC skyscrapers I wanna cosplay- Empire State and Chrysler, and a few less well known ones, like One and Two New York Plaza and 55 Water Street. And if I can get some friends, it would be epic to do the XYZ buildings of Rockefeller Center.

BTW, at the con I went to, I shared the remarks of that ignorant anime chick with some people I talked to..they all thought she was full of it. And I had some people tell me that it was obvious how much love had gone into the costume.

And before I forget, here's the concept art:
                              http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/#/d3e0t39
                              Last edited by Amanita; 12-12-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X