Hating on artists when you don't like the genre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hating on artists when you don't like the genre

Recently, I was in a rather intellectual discussion with a friend of mine on a facebook page about various Eminem songs, and specifically the messages and meanings, and the difference between "Slim Shady" songs and "Eminem" songs, how the personas have both evolved over his career. It was all terribly classy. Then someone interrupted us telling us that Eminem was horrible because he was a rapper, and we should listen to real music like Slipknot instead, and we're just looking 'like fags' for analyzing Eminem, because there's no intelligence or thought in his songs. There couldn't be, because they're rap songs.

This... Frustrates me. Look, its one thing to say you don't like rap music. Or you don't like Eminem. I mean, not all music is for everyone. Personally, I don't like Slipknot. But I won't say that their music has no meaning and shouldn't be analyzed because of the genre they're in.

I mean, in general, I don't like calling music "Bad" or "Good." I can call it complex or simple, and I suppose you can call it deep or shallow. But I think "Good" and "Bad" music are subjective qualities, based on whether or not the person in question enjoys the music, and feels the emotions the singer intends to evoke. I suppose, from my perspective, that would make Big and Rich better than Lady Gaga (because I don't like Lady Gaga). I kind of tear up a little when I hear "8th of November". No Lady Gaga songs make me do that. Musically speaking, theirs is more simple, probably less intelligent.

But anyway.

I just think, if you don't like the GENRE, you shouldn't discuss artists WITHIN the genre.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

There's some good rapper and there's shitty ones or the ones that sold out really. Here's some good ones: Biggie, Tupac, Nas are legends, Jay-Z, 50 Cent and Eminem are still rockin' it after all these years. Then you have the shitty ones like Soulja Boy and Lil B....they fucking suck rotten eggs. Their lyrics are crap and the music has no meaning to it. Then there's the corny ass rappers like P.Diddy (Puff Daddy...whatever the hell he goes by now) and Ja Rule. P.Diddy is such a biter then there's Ja Rule who sounds like Cookie Monster on crack when he tries to "sing" the hooks and tries to pretend he's a hard thug when really he's a soft ass bitch. I don't like country music as a whole because it's cheesy as hell. I like certain rock groups, r &b (some old and new school) and some pop like Rihanna but I'm not going to bash a genre of music over just one artist.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

I completely agree with you, HD. I listen to everything from Eminem to Ozzy to 80's hair bands to classical.

The only genre I actively dislike is country.

However, despite my distaste for it, I can still appreciate some of the artists and their singing ability and songwriting talent.

Im too, can't stand it when people do what you mentioned above. It makes them appear narrowminded and ignorant.

Comment

Country is probably the number one most disliked genre of music around. Most everyone I know can't deal with it. Including me However while I don't like 99 percent of country out there I do like an artist here and there, like Patsy Cline and the Judds. Don't know why I just do. I also like country flavored rock. I tend to like a lot genres when they are mixed rather than in their pure forms.

Jazz on the other hand I hate with a passion I can't even describe. All forms, all flavors. All artists. And people that I normally like, if they venture into it like Joni Mitchell, I can't stand those particular songs. But I can still be interested in the artist because they do other things.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I evaluate music on the level of talent I perceive in the artist themselves. Whether or not I actually like the genre is a side concern. I can not like a type of music but still appreciate that the artist in question has talent. Even if its not my thing.

For example I generally don't like rap and loath gangsta rap, because the barrier for entry is pretty low talent wise and much of it is posing for image alone. The same goes for pop. Its not that there aren't talented artists in both genres, its just that the bulk are talentless and propped up by record labels. Surviving on a manufactured image instead of actual talent and/or the sin against nature that is autotune.

I don't care for Eminem's music, nor Eminem as a person ( though even I've seen his more recent stuff and see only suck ). But I would not piss all over the rap genre as a whole based on him alone. Nor anyone who listens to it. Neither do I care much for pop, but I can fully admit Lady Gaga has talent and she works her ass off for what she does.

Though I, like most of the world, still irrationally loath country for no clear reason. But I can still admit individual artists in it have talent ;p

Comment

I mostly despise rap. However, I do like me some Snoop Dogg, and even went to see him live when he was opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers a while back.

I also mostly despise country, yet I LOVE Garth Brooks circa mid to late 90s, as well as a lot of other country that came out around then because that was the era in which I actually enjoyed it for a while.

I HAAAAAATE Nickelback...except for about six songs that I actually love. And even the songs I hate, I can't help but sing along with when they play on the radio. One thing I'll give them, their songs are damn catchy, even if they do all sound the same. And I hate Kid Rock's newer stuff, but adored his first album; in my opinion, his newer stuff doesn't even make sense lyrically.

Just goes to show you that it's possible to hate a genre or even an artist and still enjoy certain artists within a genre, or certain songs that an artist puts out. If I like a song I like it, and if I don't like a song I'll evaluate it based on itself, not on my opinion of the genre or artist.

Comment

The opposite, where people hate on you for saying you don't know of their favorite artist or don't listen to that kind of music, stinks too. I'm not equipped to judge the merits (if any) of one type of music that's not to my taste over another, much less to compare artists I've never even heard of, much less heard.

In many cases, in music-related issues I don't even like saying one anything is better. Too much depends on what you're going for. For example, I've been told that the piano is a better musical instrument than the harpsichord, because it allows for more expression. Well, it *does*... but that's only better if that's what you want out of it. If you want the sound that a harpsichord makes, well, you won't get that playing a piano no matter how much better it is for dynamics.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylyn View Post
                And I hate Kid Rock's newer stuff, but adored his first album; in my opinion, his newer stuff doesn't even make sense lyrically.
                I still listen to Devil Without a Cause occasionally, mostly the nostalgia factor. I spent many hours as a teen driving around blasting that album.

I like older country music..the stuff I grew up with (George Jones, Alabama, Reba McEntire, Willie Nelson, and yes, Garth Brooks). I despise the new stuff, though. Instead of genuine and heartfelt it's....redneck chic. Bleh.

I've been getting into electronica lately, and I've never seen so much infighting between fans of a genre of music. "BT is the best! Armin sucks!" "Nu-UH! Armin rocks! BT and Tiesto SUCK." Or the whole, "Is Skrillex dubstep?" argument. It's just music! Some of it is pretty and some of it is dancy. Do all these little squabbles actually matter?

Comment

I'm not a fan of country or rap, and I really dislike modern pop. Does everything have to be autotuned? When a guy and a gal sound about near the same, I'd say there's a problem.

But there are some country songs and artists I like (I'm really digging Lady Antebellum right now), and I'll listen to 90s rap occasionally.
                  I has a blog!

Comment

Where I live, I'm actually in the minority with regard to Country.

Getting anyone to go see rock or metal with me is like pulling teeth. Makes me sad.

Comment

I'm fairly open minded when it comes to music. I wont rule out any genre and if I like it, I like it. I don't care if its country, rap, classical or whatever. Makes for odd days when I listen to the Ipod on shuffle though.

Comment

Can I hate Kenye West and Chris Brown on the basis they are epic douche bags? I honestly wouldnt know who either man was if they did not have the episodes of douchebagery.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                          I'm fairly open minded when it comes to music. I wont rule out any genre and if I like it, I like it. I don't care if its country, rap, classical or whatever. Makes for odd days when I listen to the Ipod on shuffle though.
                          Quoted for truth.

I've got quite an eclectic selection of channels on Pandora, and when I let it play on the shuffle option, there are some bizarre song lists as a result.

Originally posted by bara View Post
                          Can I hate Kenye West and Chris Brown on the basis they are epic douche bags? I honestly wouldnt know who either man was if they did not have the episodes of douchebagery.
                          Sure. Feel free to dislike people because they're douchebags. However, no matter what your opinions on the artists themselves, that doesn't change the merits of the music they perform.

^-.-^
                          Last edited by Andara Bledin; 12-13-2011, 09:00 PM.
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I actually like a few songs that Chris Brown has put out, and there's no doubt that he is a good dancer. Makes the fact that he's a terrible human being even worse.

Comment

Type of music doesnt bother me. Im not a big fan of rap in general but I have enjoyed rap music from time to time.

I listen to mostly country, rock, classic rock, alternative and recently ive been enjoying music like Sarah Brightman's Harem.
                              I like pandora.. I hear a lot of stuff id never hear on the radio and enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X