• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
    I think you missed something somewhere.
    Really?

I want one of two things. Either A) I'm required to remind someone of their mistakes, and someone else is required to remind me of my mistakes. Or B) I am not required to tell anyone of their mistakes, and neither is anyone else.
    And yet:

Couple of examples - say you get a letter from the court. It says "You are hereby ordered to appear before the honorable Judge Douchebag on October..."

But then it's blank. They never gave you a date! So how the hell do I know when to go? Oh, I could call. But why is that my job? It's the courts job to give me the right info. Why do they get to just pass of responsibility? I try to do it all the time but I'm told it's my responsibility. Why do they get to make excuses but I can't.
    Now the proper response in a case of someone making a mistake is to let them know an error was made and to verify the correct info, but you think you shouldn't have to.

Then there's this:

Or even, with a game. World of Warcraft. Let's say the programmers screw up, don't do their jobs and they let a bug through that enables you to mine the same place over and over again with no delay. Awesome! Again...why is that my fault? Oh, it's an exploit? Fuck off, it's your job to take care of this. It is not my job.
    Once again, the proper response to a bug that allows you to have an unfair advantage is to REPORT IT AND NOT USE IT! And I will repeat what I said earlier: A mistake in programming on their part is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for exploiting it to gain an unfair advantage. Yet here you are trying to justify you not taking any responsibility for your own actions by saying it's someone else job.

Comment

I want one of two things. Either A) I'm required to remind someone of their mistakes, and someone else is required to remind me of my mistakes. Or B) I am not required to tell anyone of their mistakes, and neither is anyone else.
      The problem is: it doesn't work like that.

Whether it's the court, or the WoW programmers, or whatever institution you're talking about: they are a small number of people dedicated to serve *millions*. They simply don't have the manpower to check every single person within their "service area" for mistakes. If they had, you'd pay ten times the municipal tax you do now, or ten times the monthly rate to play WoW.

So: suck it up.
      "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
      "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
        Yet here you are trying to justify you not taking any responsibility for your own actions by saying it's someone else job.
        lol this again? Ok, let's clear it up - no i'm not. OK? There, that point is covered.

I want it to be CONSISTENT. Is that so wrong? If it's my responsibility, then it's theirs too. If they get to pass of their mistakes to others, then so do I.
        Yeah yeah they're so busy oh noes. I'm busy too. Do your damn job.

Of course, I can't FORCE anyone to behave this way, even if it is the right thing to do.

Comment

I think what DrFaroohk is trying to say, isn´t that he shouldn´t have to warn others of their mistake.

It is that when "the system" makes a mistake, he is inconvenienced because he has to fix it(i.e.: find out the date and time he must meet the judge)

But if HE makes a mistake when dealing the system, he is inconvenienced, since the system punishes him for his mistake, while he cannot punish "the system" for the system´s mistakes.

In other words, he never feels the system has towards him the goodwill he is forced to have with the system, and is thus being treated unfairly.

therefore he feels he is in a lose-lose situation.

Comment

And I happen to see through the inconsistencies better than most, and because I'm better at understanding people a little better than most. I can usually tell when someone's lying to me, or when they're screwing me, or when they honestly believe in the rules they are enforcing because they really think it's fair.
            I think this is where I'm confused. In both the court and WoW example, you're not dealing with individual people and their bullshit, you're dealing with a government entity or corporation. They make rules to cover everyone, which means there are some folks that won't be happy, because you can't please everybody 100% of the time. If individual exceptions were made for every person/claim/excuse, it would add time and expense to these services and the response would be inconsistent at best.

Saying that a big corporation should give you individual consideration is a nice thought, but not practical. So go ahead and argue it isn't fair, no one said it was. But be prepared to accept the consequences if you break "their" rules.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
              I think what DrFaroohk is trying to say, isn´t that he shouldn´t have to warn others of their mistake.

It is that when "the system" makes a mistake, he is inconvenienced because he has to fix it(i.e.: find out the date and time he must meet the judge)

But if HE makes a mistake when dealing the system, he is inconvenienced, since the system punishes him for his mistake, while he cannot punish "the system" for the system´s mistakes.

In other words, he never feels the system has towards him the goodwill he is forced to have with the system, and is thus being treated unfairly.

therefore he feels he is in a lose-lose situation.
              Pretty much this. It's this, and other things like this that make me feel like the odds are stacked against me in pretty much any situation before I get started.

Comment

Working...
              X