Malware and other nasty stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malware and other nasty stuff.

About a month ago, my laptop has been infected with one of those trojans. It was that "privacy protection" bug that disguised as a virus removal tool, but really just wanted to infect your computer. Well it managed to prevent me from accessing my internet and I couldn't even do system restore. I eventually used Mcafee virus scan (which took hours and didn't even complete the scan) but it appeared to get my internet back on track until a week later when the same thing happened again. Rinse and repeat. Well last Sunday, I finally ended up installing an anti malware program that appeared to do the trick when I experienced another attack. Yet when I do the virus scan, it makes it up to 94% before it slows down and sometimes just freezes. Then I still find out I have a fucking trojan and I get these unknown programs wanting access to my computer (and I don't even trust the known ones like that damned Java Auto Updater).

So to keep me from rambling, here's what pisses me off.

-Stupid POS Mcafee virus scan coming to a near halt when it get to 94%, sometimes freezing my computer.

-These goddamn updaters causing my computer to slow down for the first few minutes every time I turn it on.

-Fucking useless firewall TURNING off 2 hours after I turn it on. I try to turn it back on but seconds later it goes back off. I end up having to restart my computer every 2 hours (which temperarly solves the issue).

-Other viruses and crap which do nothing but slow down the computer in the middle of something (giving me that damn spinning circle of DEATH).

-Most of all, the fact that this faux virus removal software is actually a MARKETING tool to trick me into buying said software. It fucks up my entire computer and they expect me to want to buy their shit! Fuck that! None of them are getting a penny from me and if I knew who was responsible for this shit, I'd file a lawsuit. As if marketing schemes weren't dirty enough with those annoying popups.

Has anyone had similar experiences recently? I'm mostly just letting off steam, but if I can find out what's wrong, it would be nice.

As the "computer guy" for my friends and family, I've experienced it quite often.

I've used quite a few different tools over the years, but the one I seem to have the most luck with is Malwarebytes. There's a free and a paid version. I've never used the paid version. The free version works just fine for me. Just click on "Products" and select the free version from the drop-down.

"Quick scan" is usually enough to fix things, but if you want to be sure, you can do "full scan." Just a word of warning, the full scan can take hours.

If you're not having any luck, you can check out the "Security Cleanup" forum at www.dslreports.com. I've gone there a few times when I got stuck, and the people there are very helpful. You don't even need to create an account to post over there.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I think you might be better off with Norton. I hate Macfee. It doesn't do crap. You can also try getting spyware blaster and spybot search and destroy. They are pretty good tools.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Comment

I use AVG free which I think does a good job. But I have also gotten the type of virus you are describing. I was able to completely get rid of it by starting windows in safe mode and then did an advanced search for any new files that were added in the time frame I beleive my comp got infected. I cant remember the file name but it self replicated several times which is how I figured out which one it was.

Solved the problem completely for me and took less than an hour once I figured out the file I needed to delete.

Comment

I've... never really had trouble with viruses, either on Mac or Windows. I scan now and then, but nothing worse than cookies ever turns up and the computer doesn't act peculiarly.

(finding wood to knock on)
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Something I forgot to mention -- if you're able to run these tools in Safe Mode, you might have better luck with them.
            --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

MadMike: Malwarebytes was the one I used to get rid of the attack I had on Sunday. It worked for the time, but when I continued having problems, I ran it again last night for good meassure. Unfortunately, it ended up causing my Internet Explorer not work. I managed to reset things so it appears to work for now (internet explorer --> tools --> internet options --> advanced --> reset). But I have a feeling this isn't the last of the problems I'll be having.

I might check out those other links if I have other problems. And yes, Mcafee does indeed suck.

Comment

Rage, please, for the love of all that is holy, install Google Chrome. It's a much, much better browser than IE and less cluttered than Firefox.

Comment

lol I remember when my step-father-in-law needed computer help...I looked over his computer and basically every time he saw a pop up for a virus scanner, internet protection or a registry cleaner, he clicked the link and installed it.

I told him not to do this, and I deleted them all, but within a week they were all back, because no one knows as much about computers as he does of course and I must've been mistaken.

Comment

I have Chrome. It's missing a lot of basic and what I consider important features. Like, say, a way to delete cookies on close, or being able to password protect your saved passwords.

But I stand behind the idea of getting rid of IE except for things that absolutely will not work with any other browser (and most of them will still work with Firefox anyway).

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainJaneway View Post
                      I think you might be better off with Norton. I hate Macfee. It doesn't do crap. You can also try getting spyware blaster and spybot search and destroy. They are pretty good tools.

Don't use Norton (or not on as I've heard it called) it can be broken in under 30s by a hacker, I was told this by someone in the industry. Use AVG (paid version is excellent).

Comment

I second both Malwarebytes and Anything-But-Explorer. Most viruses propagate via ad banners and pop-ups, and Firefox + AdBlockPlus + NoScript will negate most of those for you. Also, if trojans are preventing you from running or completing a virus scan, you might look for a program called "rkill" or "roguekill". It shuts down trojans briefly to let scanners do their thing. I had to use it to get rid of "Internet Security 2010"/"winlogon32.exe", which I picked up off the ad banner on a webcomic a year or two ago.
                        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I never had much with AVG or Avast, two of the ones I hear a lot about. They usually work fine...for a month. Then I have to buy it. But I don't want to buy it.

Not only that but they kind of laggy, at least for me. I always liked Malwarebytes and I assume it does mostly the same thing. Nice and light, runs quick, doesn't get in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainJaneway View Post

Not to be rude, but Norton? Seriously?

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                            MadMike: Malwarebytes was the one I used to get rid of the attack I had on Sunday. It worked for the time, but when I continued having problems, I ran it again last night for good meassure. Unfortunately, it ended up causing my Internet Explorer not work. I managed to reset things so it appears to work for now (internet explorer --> tools --> internet options --> advanced --> reset). But I have a feeling this isn't the last of the problems I'll be having.

I might check out those other links if I have other problems. And yes, Mcafee does indeed suck.
                            As someone else said earlier, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE install another browser. I use Chrome with no problems.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                            I never had much with AVG or Avast, two of the ones I hear a lot about. They usually work fine...for a month. Then I have to buy it. But I don't want to buy it.

Not only that but they kind of laggy, at least for me. I always liked Malwarebytes and I assume it does mostly the same thing. Nice and light, runs quick, doesn't get in the way.
                            Malwarebytes is fine. There is a free version of avast out there that works just fine for me. Doesn't lag and works nicely in the background. Also, you can set it to pirate mode!

Comment

I know its easy to just turn it off, but I always hated sitting there and suddenly "YOUR VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!!!!!!"

Even with the free version, after a month it was like "Your trial has run out, you get no new updates!" So like any virus created right after my trial expired will be able to slip through undetected.

Comment

Working...
                              X