The Useless AG in My State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Useless AG in My State

This happened awhile back but I am now facing a similar situation. Last year, hubby and I switched phone companies and had to accept a new phone number. A debt collection company would call the number and ask for a "Darlene". I would politely explain that we just acquired this number and no such person lives here. They continued to call for 5 or more months. They only called 1x per week but it was still getting old. I requested numerous times that the company cease calling me but they ignored these requests. The first two times that I tried to obtain the company's name (which they are required by law to provide) they hung up. I finally got the proper information and a promise of no more calls. They continued to call once a week. After two more unfulfilled promised I contacted the AG of my state. Someone from the AGs office called me and the extent of their investigation was to call the collector and ask them about the calls. I was advised by the AGs employee that if the collector denies calling me (even though I had call logs with their number) that they could not do anything and advised me to change my number. ARRRG. Why have laws regulating what debt collectors can do if they are not enforced? Now, I am getting calls from a different collector on my new cell number and I have no recourse to make them stop except changing numbers.

There's nothing that works for everyone... it's inexcusable having to put up with repeated calls to someone the number doesn't belong to, but then again, *anybody* could *claim* that the collection business has called the wrong number, and all too many people change their numbers specifically to avoid their creditors. With temporary phones and all, giving everybody a new number every time would mean making the numbers even longer than the already-too-long ten digits...

Anyway, their lying about it settles things. That they lie about calling you shows they know they should not be doing it, which pretty much means they know the number doesn't belong to someone who owes them money... but then, in that case, why would they keep calling in the first place?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Check online for debt collection forums or do a search about collection calls. I think if you notify them properly, they are required to stop calling or they'll face a fine for each call. Unfortunately, that may require you to send a certified letter, but I'm not sure. Either way, damn annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        There's nothing that works for everyone... it's inexcusable having to put up with repeated calls to someone the number doesn't belong to, but then again, *anybody* could *claim* that the collection business has called the wrong number, and all too many people change their numbers specifically to avoid their creditors. With temporary phones and all, giving everybody a new number every time would mean making the numbers even longer than the already-too-long ten digits...

Anyway, their lying about it settles things. That they lie about calling you shows they know they should not be doing it, which pretty much means they know the number doesn't belong to someone who owes them money... but then, in that case, why would they keep calling in the first place?
        Isn't it up to the collection agency at that point to prove that you are in fact the person that owes the debt? And if they can't and they persist isn't that harassment? I mean the original poster is right, what is the point of having laws if they aren't going to be enforced.

Comment

If they deny, and the AG can´t do anything, can´t you show your call logs and accuse them of perjury, or something like that?

Or simply call the normal police instead of AG and sue for harassment?

If comes to the worst you can start spamming the lines and being a general nuisance. That should work fine.

Comment

You might also want to look into if this crosses into territory covered by "Do Not Call" laws, since, as you aren't the person who owes them a debt, they don't have prior business with you.
            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

You should be able to file against them in small claims court.

Comment

when they call just pick up the phone and scream as loud as you can into the receiver or make it feedback.

If they won't give you the information then how were you supposed to pay?

honestly the best bet is to just call block them.

And in regards to the AG, everyone has a supervisor, go over their head and don't stop.

Comment

Working...
                X