Wahhh. No Snow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahhh. No Snow!

If I hear one more person around here in Cheeselandialand bellowing and bellyaching that it's not snowing and we won't have a "white" Christmas and "Dis here be Wisconsin we need snow derpaderp!", I'm gonna scream.

You should be thankful that this could be the first year in a long time there won't be travel delays or winter weather related accidents or people being stranded because of bad weather right before Christmas.

Besides the point, it's never set in stone that it won't snow.

A year ago, it was -22 after we had 20+ inches of snow dumped in this part of Wisconsin on December 11-12th. I'd MUCH rather have this 20-30 degree weather and the melted snow with the grass showing

I mean, unless you people want another huge dumping and then arctic Canadian air to follow and put us in double digit negative degree windchills, whatever.

So far, this has been the BEST holiday weather ever.

Things are not as things frequently are.

Damn you things!
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I'm so glad we don't have snow. I moved to a warmer base for about three weeks so we won't have snow here. According to accuweather, it's 54F here and cloudy. Definitely cloudy but feels warmer. I'm too hot with a hoodie on. Also, they forgot to mention that it smells like crap (Seriously, we have a "poo pond" in the middle of the base. The smell reeks this time of day.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Yeah, it's been great here lately. I've still worn my mittens in the morning after work, but I've traded my winter-ish jacket for one of my zip fleeces and haven't had to fill the washer up to the gills because I have to dress so warm. It's been so nice not having to spend forever scraping the windshield and leaving for work early because of snow.

Comment

I was just mentioning the other day how we've had a pretty easy winter so far this year. Of course, I probably shouldn't speak too soon since winter hasn't technicall started yet (no winter solstice as of right now). Still, it's supposed to be around 50F here today, and since seasonal is somewhere in the low to mid 40s, I'd say we're doing pretty good. I sometimes like snow, but I think I'm ready for a mild winter this year instead of dealing with one snowstorm per week between December and March.

And yes, I, too, have seen Facebook comments and the like to the effect of "If it's going to be cold there should be some snow!" Also, one of the newscasters the other night lamented that we're not having any snow to make things pretty. Well, I'd say you got your fill on that stuff during the past few winters.

Comment

I live in the Canadian equivalent of your climate, blas, and we've been hit by a huge lack of snow for this time of year as well. And you know what? I miss it. I'm built to live in the cold, and when I can't even go sledding or have a snowball fight, even though it's almost Christmas, it makes me sad. Snow makes the colder climate worth looking at, as everything is grey and dusty now - it's depressing as hell because it hasn't gotten warm enough to get rid of the ice, so the sand trucks still come around and cover everything in a nice layer of yuk.

So I make no apologies in wanting the snow - if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't live in this climate.

Comment

I used to be that way, but since I learned to drive, I hate the snow. Though if we get any more rainy weather, I WILL settle for snow. The only thing worse than snow is when it's just above freezing and it's pissing rain.

At this point, I wouldn't mind snow, but I also wouldn't care if I don't get it.

Comment

Personally, I'm loving the mild winter we're having so far. Fiance has a 30-mile commute every day, so a bad snowstorm usually means taking PTO or risking an accident. Our University doesn't close for anything less than nuclear apocalypse, so I usually end up walking for 45 minutes on those days. This town and especially the college don't do a decent job of cleaning the roads. The University takes forever to get the roads somewhat clean, doesn't bother with the parking lots, and eventually does some of the sidewalks, and then lays down a bit of sand, which does no damn good whatsoever.

Of course, I'm native to the southern part of the US, so I'm more accustomed to 50 F weather in December.

Comment

If you're cold enough to get ice but no snow, then I don't blame them for bitching.

But if you don't have snow because it's been to warm, then they need to quit bitching and be thankful they aren't trapped anywhere because of it.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If I didn't have to get out and drive in snow, I honestly wouldn't care if it snowed or not. I don't care what anyone else insists, it is not "fun" to drive when there is several inches of snow on the road. Well, maybe it would be if one miscalculated move didn't mean damage to my car and money out of my pocket.

Really, though, now that I have a car that does pretty well on snow, it's not that bad to drive in it. However, I have to drive to and from work during rush hour, and fighting all the other drivers on the freeway in the snow isn't that fun, especially not when you live in a city like mine that has very aggressive drivers.

Comment

I'm actually glad we have no snow/ice right now...I could live with going a winter and not getting a concussion. Every time I get one the symptoms are lasting longer and I'm forgetting more.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                        I live in the Canadian equivalent of your climate, blas, and we've been hit by a huge lack of snow for this time of year as well. And you know what? I miss it.
                        As a fellow Canadian, I say this with honesty and sincerity:

I think you're F***ing nuts.

Actually, I can see the point. Really I can. But I have to shovel the snow where I live regardless of the amount so long as it's on the sidewalks. After last year's 10 day long, 4 1/2 foot dump, it will take a lot longer to make me want to miss it.

Comment

I'm not naive enough to think it will stay this way, but we, too, have had a rather mild start to our winter. There's just a dusting of snow predicted in the southern part of the state this week, and you know what? I'm glad we won't really have a white Christmas for once. It might sound idyllic, having snow to add to the holiday cheer, but in reality, it'd be nothing but a mess for travelers AND their familes/loved ones. I, for one, will NOT be complaining about the lack of white (or slippery) stuff outside!

Comment

Well, after nearly 25 years, I'm "built" for several feet of snow and -40 windchills, but that doesn't mean I miss it any or even want it.

I think this will be the safest driving holiday in years in this area in the longest time, not to mention no one will have to freeze their tooshies off for a nice walk after dinner.

I relish every moment this time of year that I don't have to risk my life just to go to work.

This is the best December ever.

I have never after age like 10 seen any point in bundling up like a damn tire man and playing in freezing cold weather and nasty snow. I'd much rather be laying out in the sun. I'd like it better if the sun didn't go down at 4:30 pm.

Comment

Watching the news right now--there's a blizzard nailing Kansas, Okalahoma, Texas, etc, and people are getting stranded, dying, etc because of it. Is a white Christmas really worth that? I think not. My thoughts are with all of those affected by the harsh weather down there!

Comment

Working...
                              X