Being a Wheelchair for People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a Wheelchair for People

I'd say being a crutch for people to lean on, but that just seems like a gross understatement to me.

I'm sick and tired of always being the person people come to for every problem. Boyfriend issues? They come to me. Parent issues? They come to me. Alcohol/drug issues? They come to me. Thinking about killing themselves? They come to me. It's never ending. My best friend is awesome, but she has a lot of issues. And every single time anything is bothering her, she has to come to me. While I was out here in Afghanistan, due to me not being around, she became suicidal. Another woman that I kind of like just has 50 million problems and it's constant issues. It keeps me from wanting to meet up with her and make anything happen. I feel like I could make a fortune if I started charging people to have me listen to their problems and help them with it. I'm like a magnet for women with enough baggage that no airline would allow them to check it all in.

And while I'm posting, I'd just like to add a quick rant about people who bitch to me about their problems that involve making Christmas not awesome. For instance, one friend IMed me to cry about how she misses her ex-boyfriend and is upset she can't spend Christmas with him. I'm sorry, but boo fucking hoo. I'm in the middle of fucking Afghanistan, surrounded by assholes who'd love nothing more than to see me die, away from all my family and friends, and temporarily transferred bases for this month so I can't even be with what few friends I've made at my normal base. And you want me to have a pity session for you? GTFO.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
    I'm like a magnet for women with enough baggage that no airline would allow them to check it all in.
    blame the society that teaches people to treat women with issues like garbage.

I was relatively well adjusted at one point, never got a second date because I had a physically abusive ex husband, and an emotionally abusive one, but nope my two divorces meant something was wrong with me. And now that I'm having problems in my current marriage, must be my fault again, and I can't even make friends, and no I don't "burden others" or even talk about my problems with outsiders, but I'm not going to lie and say everything's peachy. I don't go into detail but explain that currently I'm having issues that I'd rather not discuss-let's go watch a movie or have coffee...nope don't want to even associate with the "damaged person", even when it has zero effect on them or their lives.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Most people have baggage of some sort, I'm no exception. But it's just every woman I meet that I'm interested in or close friends with, it's never ending. Draining doesn't even cover how it feels.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Ahhh... You put off the "nice guy, good listener" vibe. Some of us have it and get used as sounding boards for the less mentally secure among our acquaintances.

I get the same thing, including from guys who would bitch about not being able to find a decent girl to date, while spending a ton of time with me (who was single at the time).

I just take it as confirmation that I'm an awesome person that so many others would want to come to me to get advice about how to be happier.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          You put off the "nice guy, good listener" vibe.

I get the same thing, including from guys who would bitch about not being able to find a decent girl to date, while spending a ton of time with me (who was single at the time).
          Well, I do hate talking and would much rather listen so I guess I can see that.

I hear that more often these days. Back when I first started college it went more like this:

Friend: "I just wish I could get laid right now."
          Me: "..."
          Friend: "It's just so hard to find a decent guy to hook up with around here!"

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            Friend: "I just wish I could get laid right now."
            Friend: "It's just so hard to find a decent guy to hook up with around here!"
            Heh, that's me right now. Not that I normally say that to my friends.

Seriously, I know how you feel about the "support" thing. I have become the go-to person for a co-worker who is overly emotional about everything. And I mean everything. She does have some good reasons for it but damn, it's gotten to the point where if someone looks sideways at her, she's over at my desk crying about it. Literally. In fact, one of her problems at work is that she's not at her desk as much as she should be, which just becomes another reason for her to come and cry at my desk....You see the problem.

Trouble with being sympathetic is that you get caught up in other people's problems, and you become the place they go to to let off steam. I call it "cheap therapy" and "drama mama syndrome." It's nice to be appreciated but it can be very draining. Sometimes emotionally needy people are like vampires, they just suck all the energy out of you.

Comment

Working...
            X