Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that one airport commercial

I didn't want to hijack Hyena's thread
    But there is an ad on billboards and buses here that really pisses me off, it's for the newly opened for commercial flights provo airport "It's okay to take the easy way out"... this in the county with one of the highest suicide rates in the state. They know damned well what connotation that phrase has, but still chose to use it... seriously?
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Hmmmm. I've never really thought about 'the easy way out' as a suicide term. I use it alot at work when I'm trying to find a simple solution to a problem that otherwise looks like a clusterfuck.

I could be mistaken, though. Sometimes I feel as though I've been living under a rock, with all the stuff I've never heard of.

Comment

Yeah, that definitely isn't what would come to my mind first when using that phrase... And when I googled the phrase, all of the results I saw within the first four pages either referred to break-ups (shocking!) or the value of hard work.

Comment

I associate the phrase with suicide more than any thing else, I'm not sure who else does.

Comment

The "easy way out" just means not being there or going with the option that takes the least effort over all.

It can also mean suicide, but that's not the primary connotation for most people.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It has a bit of a weaselly connotation to it, hence reassuring that "it' ok." But mostly like "Faced with the prospect of either suffering through another one of Aunt Betty's rants silently or telling her off, I took the easy way out and said I had other plans." It's sometimes used as a euphemism for suicide, but that's not specifically its meaning.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

See, I don't have a problem with the phrase. But, honestly, in this context I don't know what the person would be ESCAPING from, so it seems dishonest to me.
              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
              X