Your a jerk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your a jerk

I hate when people are considered jerks or bad people because they didn't bend over backwards.

In my book if you slam a door in someone's face that makes you a jerk.

Not standing there and holding the door for someone doesn't really make you a jerk.

I am all for going the extra mile for people but I hate the philosophy that teaches, "You shouldn't thank someone for going the extra mile it should be expected."

And I don't mean the implied philosophy I mean I have actually met people with that philosophy.

For example watching a show and one character was considered a jerk for not letting another character go ahead of him in line even though the other character never explained why it was important.

It seems like a growing expectation that you should not only throw yourself in front of a bullet for another person but you should now thank them for letting you do so.

If someone goes the extra mile I thank them rather than expecting them to thank me for going the extra mile. And if they decide not to hold the door for me. It doesn't make them a jerk.
    Last edited by jackfaire; 01-15-2012, 07:50 PM.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Oh Lord, please edit that to "You're" before you trigger a completely different thread on things people hate. >.>

Comment

I hold doors for just about everyone if they are close (if Im in a hurry I may not do this). For an elderly couple I stood and waited for about a minute since one had a walker and one had a cane. They were very thankful that I did so, but I was happy to help them out. I mean, whats a minute of my time?

Another time I would not give up my place in line to someone else at a roller coaster. I refused to do so because my friends had already gone and were waiting for me. We got out of place somehow so they were on the ride before me.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
        Another time I would not give up my place in line to someone else at a roller coaster. I refused to do so because my friends had already gone and were waiting for me. We got out of place somehow so they were on the ride before me.
        See and that is what I am talking about. We live in a culture where you couldn't just stop at "Another time I would not give up my place in line to someone else at a roller coaster."

Because if you don't quantify it with something beyond, "Because I was in line first" then boom your a jerk for not giving up your spot. It's right up there with your a jerk for not letting the person behind you sit down.

The other day I was on the train my bag was in the seat next to me because when I got on the train was mostly empty. About 20 minutes in I notice the people to my left are glaring at me.

I am holding a laptop with earbuds in my ears obviously not hearing anyone. I look behind me and there is this old guy waiting for a seat who never tried to get my attention at all. I moved my bag and told him next time he should tap me on the shoulder or something that I didn't even know he was there.

People were still angry at me for something I had no control over.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

The one time I was called a jerk that really caused me to flip out was this one time when I was walking into an apartment building with a fairly large stack of boxes. Both hands were full and I was trying to get the door to the lobby open.

I managed to do it without having to put everything down (which would have been a pain in the ass to pick back up) and walked inside.

Some couple called me a jerk for not holding the door open for them and their empty and unencumbered hands.

I actually turned around when I heard that and I dropped my items on the floor in front of them (thankfully they were books and not anything breakable) and shouted back "*I'm* a jerk for not holding the door open for you? Where the fuck were you when I was trying to open the door with my hands full?"

The couple beat a hasty retreat and I picked up my stuff and headed back to my apartment.
          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Working...
          X