Taking forever to get ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking forever to get ready

Seriously. There is no reason that any person, from the moment they wake up, cannot be ready for their day and to leave the house in 15 minutes. No, all that stuff you think you need to do, you really don't. They're called luxuries and are for people who allotted themselves enough time.

Unless you're disabled in some way. Then you might need 20 minutes. No more than 30, ever, is acceptable. More than 30 should mean you're on your way to meet the president.

You know what? Fuck this attitude.

If someone wants to take an hour to get ready, and they allot enough time to do so and not be late, who the hell are you to tell them they're not allowed?

Damn. It takes me half an hour just to shower and make sure there's no shampoo left in my hair and then get all dry. I'm not walking out the door naked or dripping because the time it takes me to get ready offends your sensibilities.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, if I wash my hair, it takes at least an hour....an hour and a half if I actually blow dry and straighten my hair. Even my Fiance takes almost thirty to go to work, and he doesn't even shave in the morning.

Comment

If someone wants to take an hour to get ready, and they allot enough time to do so and not be late, who the hell are you to tell them they're not allowed?

Emphasis mine. Besides, all that extra stuff is not required. You're required to be clean and look somewhat like you didn't just get out of bed. People put too much stock in all this getting ready.

I dunno why it annoys me really. Well, sometimes it affects me directly, and its annoying, but even when it doesn't, for some odd reason I just don't get it.

My mother in law spends FOUR FUCKING HOURS every day "getting ready". Seriously, exactly what in the fuck are you doing for FOUR HOURS? I can't even begin to fathom that. 10 a.m. she gets in the bathroom, and just barely gets out in time to be at work by 2. And that's cutting corners! I'm reminded of Kramer taking his showers on Seinfeld.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
          They're called luxuries and are for people who allotted themselves enough time.
          Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          You know what? Fuck this attitude.

look it obviously wasn't meant to apply to those that allot enough time, and you're jumping on him because you do-sense this makes none.....it's not a long post I'm not sure how people missed the entire second line of a 3 line post....unless they read the first line got all indignant and posted without reading the rest-seriously it's 8 sentences, get a grip!
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Without more explanation, the OP leaves far too much out of what's considered "necessary." And despite the included disclaimer about allowing enough time, it reads as, "anybody who doesn't get out this fast is a lazy bum."

One of the things that's necessary for me is to have a bit of time to get used to the idea of being awake again. Admittedly, the doorbell or smoke alarm going off wakes me in a hurry, but otherwise it takes a few minutes to get going. That's just the way it is. Morning is not a race, and just because you may know someone who takes four hours doesn't mean everyone else needs to have a contest to see who can get out fastest to make up for it.

Also, some things may be necessary for some and not for others... and some of those might be done the night before. That doesn't mean it takes less time to get ready, only that it's divided up.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              Without more explanation, the OP leaves far too much out of what's considered "necessary." And despite the included disclaimer about allowing enough time, it reads as, "anybody who doesn't get out this fast is a lazy bum."
              to me it reads as, "if you woke up late" you are going to have to cut corners because you didn't leave yourself enough time. If it takes an hour for you to do your hair perfectly and put on makeup, and you have 10 minutes, you do not get to make others wait. "piss poor planning on your part does not precipitate panic on my part."

Trust me I've been stuck at work for two hours waiting on a replacement to show up because after I called, woke her up, and said "you were supposed to be here 10 minutes ago, she still took a 45 minute shower and an hour to do her hair and make up. The explanation she gave for being two hours late-"I had to do all that for work." No you just had to brush your hair and teeth, put on your uniform, and get to work, it's a gas station, not a photoshoot, perfect hair and makeup is NOT necessary.

Comment

I give myself approx 45 minutes in the morning to get ready. I shower and do the blow drying and straightening of hair the night before. But I find this is enough time to eat breakfast, take morning pills/supplements, get a couple of bottles of water ready for work, make sure I have my shit together, do any last minute chores that need to be done (empty dishwasher or dryer for example)...and chill out and relax for 10 minutes, plus brush my teeth/get dressed/get cold gear on etc. I do NOT like to rush and if I had less time than this I would feel like I'm rushing. I don't even have my coffee until I get to work.

But yeah 10 minutes or even 30 wouldn't cut it for me.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Apologies for missing the bit in the OP about allotting enough time.

However, the "required to be clean" part takes me a minimum of 25 minutes for those days when I was my hair, and there's just no way to shortcut that. It is what it is.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

However, the "required to be clean" part takes me a minimum of 25 minutes for those days when I was my hair, and there's just no way to shortcut that. It is what it is.
                    depends on the person, My hair is down to my waist(seriously it gets tucked into the waistband of my pants quite often), I can take a full shower including washing my hair in 5 minutes. I had a job in a clean room with a four minute timer on the shower, and there was usually another person waiting to get in, also military-12 showers, 200 women, one hour for all of us to shower.

Comment

I agree with BlaqueKatt. My mom gets up at 5 so she can get to work by 7:30, because it takes her bloody forever to do her hair. I don't mind that, she plans for those 2 hours.

I don't get it myself. I don't wear makeup, I shower at night before bed (I used to in the morning, I can't now since I stay at home with a toddler), I can dress in approximately 27 seconds. I often wear braids or a ponytail. Of course, i am lucky enough to have decent skin and great hair, so it doesn't matter if I don't put on makeup or do my hair. It still looks serviceable.

But if we're running late and you spend an hour prettying up... I'd be pissed too.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                        look it obviously wasn't meant to apply to those that allot enough time
                        Actually, in a way, it does.

Sure he says it's a luxury reserved for those who allot enough time, but then, from what I see, he nullifies that by questioning that it would take someone more than 15 minutes to be ready.

Yes, if someone takes longer to be ready, they should get up early enough to do so, and if they somehow sleep in, then they should gauge their time accordingly, especially if their excessive grooming time could cause another person to be late.

On the whole, though, just because one person can toss on a shirt and run a comb through their hair and they're ready, why should they sit as judge and jury over what is an acceptable length of time for everyone to get ready?
                        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                          depends on the person, My hair is down to my waist(seriously it gets tucked into the waistband of my pants quite often), I can take a full shower including washing my hair in 5 minutes.
                          I'm not even sure I could get warm water and actually rinse my body in that time. I know that my hair won't be soaked through, much less have the shampoo do more than cover the outside of my crown.

I'm not sure that a shower that quick would actually result in someone being completely clean at the end of it.

^-.-^

Comment

I'm not sure that a shower that quick would actually result in someone being completely clean at the end of it.
                            soap up while hair is getting wet, lather hair while rinsing soap off body, rinse hair. trust me in the military, you reek by the end of the day in boot camp(often times also covered in mud/dirt), if you don't get clean you still reek and get dragged back into the shower and scrubbed with brushes. We all got clean in under 5 minutes. In Iraq soldiers get two minutes, in the navy they get 90 seconds.

how to shower in 60 seconds

Also if you have a high shower water temp you're not getting all that clean. Higher temp=sweat.

this book is a very interesting read on societies ever changing views on "cleanliness", most of it is nothing more than marketing, and not based in science.

Body odor is caused by bacteria, the layer of sebum on your skin kills bacteria, washing it off causes the bacteria to flourish, deodorant gives it a food supply. The more frequently you shower, the more you need to.
                            Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

That's not even remotely "how to shower in 60 seconds." It's "How to shower while only having the water running for 60 seconds after it's hot and turning it off in between because our water heater is too small to take a shower in a less complex manner." It would be nice if they'd actually included a comment about how long it took overall.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X