No announcement yet.

Gratuities and Begging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing to realize about the existence of tip jars in places such as Subway or Starbucks is that they are there out of necessity.

There are a lot of people out there who like to and want to tip the staff at such locations, and the money given can't be put in the till and it can't just be pocketed for reasons of both practicality and propriety.

The jar on the counter is doing nothing to shame or force anyone into leaving money in it; it's there for the convenience of those who actively desire to leave a tip and for the staff to have some manner of accepting tips that won't get them fired or accused of theft.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's a fair point.

Still, though, power of suggestion is at play, and the very presence of the tip jar sends the message that a tip is expected.
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
        Sometimes that isn't an option.

I had to go to a certain hotel downtown for volunteer work, and there was no option to park your own car. It was either hand your car over to the valet or go fuck yourself.

Believe me, I'd much rather park my own car and walk the extra few yards to the building than have to tip someone.
        They forced you to arrive at the hotel by car, did they?

As for tip jars and the IRS... if they're not reporting the income (and they probably aren't) then that's a separate problem. It's not because there's a place to give them money if you really want to do so: it's because they aren't filing their taxes correctly. NOT the tip jar's problem.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          I suppose I could have taken the bus for 3 hours and promptly vomited all over the place, but I chose not to. Damn me and my motion sickness!

I also had no idea the hotel was strictly valet service, so it was not a nice surprise.

Comment

Tip jars by themselves don't really bother me. What bothers me is just how many places have them when they never did before. Our Subways don't have tip jars and I'd probably be pretty annoyed if I saw one. My Chinese place has one, but I'll admit I forgive them because they have awesome food. But it seems like any smaller non-franchise fast-food type place has a tip jar. I simply ignore the jars, but it rankles me that I'm seeing them more and more.

As for the panhandlers, was the business aware of the issue? Because I'd complain to management and ask them to get rid of the panhandlers. For me it's a safety issue, I hate hate hate random strangers wandering up to me and getting into my space.

Comment

Everywhere you turn now there’s either someone asking for money or expecting a 'handout' for doing their jobs. Maybe if tipping and gratuities where completely stopped by all then there wouldn’t be a case for the guv'ment to allow low wages in those industries.

To keep workers happy and motivated? WTF. I'm a customer not Santa Claus or a strip-o-gram (I would hope having a paycheck and being employed might be incentive enuff?). As mentioned someplace else, I also work hard and always strive to make my customers happy. I don’t get a tip or gratuity for doing this nor expect it.

Valet Parking. O'brother. Normally this is provided because the establishments parking is inadequate and they need to stack-up cars to maximize the space or the owners realizes (or it’s made aware by a 'third party') of why have free if someone will pay for it.

I believe in tipping where warranted by the service provided, but it’s gotten where almost every service sector has a tip jar/expectation of some short. FOR DOING THEIR BASIC JOB FUNCTION. Additionally, there are some services where tipping seems silly: bathrooms, fast food, parking, bartenders (2-5 dollar per drink expectation for watered down drinks or uncapping my overpriced beer bottle?)

So stay home, serve my own drinks and don’t drive? How about applying and acquiring a job where charity/handouts from strangers is not expected?
              Last edited by Josh; 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                So, by your logic, it's all Seifers fault for choosing to arrive by car and she should not have been annoyed that it was valet only? In order to avoid the valet, she should have taken public transportation?

Sure, if there are other options besides valet, I'd agree that it's petty to bitch about it, but if that's the only option given? That's bullshit.

I'm a big supporter of tipping in general and the valet-only fact would annoy the piss out of me. Particularly if I was there for volunteer work. Double ass-kicker.

The sad part about it is that it's the fault of the hotel, not the people working for them who are likely getting stiffed because people are (understandably) pissed off about the valet-only rule.

Comment

My opinion is..it is just money. Little pieces of paper or bits of metal, that only have the value we place on them. So I tip often and generously. I never feel obligated to, even if somebody shoves a tip jar in my face. I do it because a little good will goes a long way.

Comment

Tip jars in coffee shops and the like don't really bother me; if I do tip it's because I like the service and food. I don't feel a sense of obligation though.

I've had a few customers at the supermarket tip me just for bagging or helping them shop. I don't expect tips in that line of work, and the customers who do tip are genuinely appreciative (and the practice could be culturally acceptable to them).
                    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Now add this into the mix

Because of the way the Federal and most state labor and wage laws concerning tipped employees are written a company CAN and WILL try to further lower those employees wages.

case in point
                      My franchise is crying poor (IMO they screwed themselves but that is another story). so what happened???? All of the delivery drivers were FORCED to take a 20% paycut. I went from making around $7 per hour all the time to making $5.25 while on the road and minimum wage while inside.

Now to some this might seem to be a good thing. but if you look at it strictly from a numbers point of view it SUCKS BIG TIME.

I have, during the last 6 months (the time that we got split wage forced upon us) calculated out what my pay would have been if I stayed at my old "all the time wage" vs the new pay system.

Wouldn't you know it???? I am losing about $2000 in base pay PER YEAR because of the new pay structure. The company's solution:

GO OUT AND MAKE BETTER TIPS!!!!!

Yeah right. I will get right on that. They base my income ON getting tips but restrict me from even mentioning that I am a TIPPED employee or discussing tiping in any way shape or form.

again with a LOT of places allowing "tip jars" to somehow "motivate" their employees just dilutes what I have to work my ass of for too but they get to keep their money free and clear but I can get wacked or audited.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Now we have fast food workers expecting tips…
                        There's the problem: the word "expecting." That is incorrect. The tip jar signals that they *accept* tips. Not, not, NOT that they *expect* you to give one. Do you ("you" meaning all those who have made some variation on the "expect" line) really not see the difference, or is there some specific reason you have decided to discount it?

I suppose I could have taken the bus for 3 hours and promptly vomited all over the place, but I chose not to. Damn me and my motion sickness!

I also had no idea the hotel was strictly valet service, so it was not a nice surprise.
                        Sorry; I didn't quite mean it that way. No, that wouldn't be a nice surprise. But what I meant was that (I assume) you had a choice of parking at the hotel and using their valet service, or parking elsewhere, probably paying more for it than the tip would have cost, and walking to the hotel on principle. And you also have a choice, if you are making your own arrangements, to find out whether they require use of a valet in advance and choosing your hotel accordingly.

The last is the thing to do. If you use the valet, it's right to tip them. That's part of the pay, and it's the hotel's fault and not yours. So punish the hotel, not the valet. Tip, complain (to hotel management) about the policy, and then stay elsewhere in the future.

My opinion is..it is just money. Little pieces of paper or bits of metal, that only have the value we place on them.
                        True, in a sense… but far easier to say in practice when you *have* the bits of paper or metal in question.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I tip, and only tip, people who are in jobs where they are making significantly less than standard hourly wage. Because their job is dependent on tips.

I tip the delivery folk, servers, hair stylists (don't think they make a lot of money. They don't. And most salons require "rent" on their chairs, so there goes a lot of their money), and the like.

Anyone making a standard hourly wage, even if it's at Subway or Starbucks....forget it. That jar is just a begging chip.

Comment

Racket Man, it wasn't until reading some of your posts over on CS that I learned delivery drivers can make less than minimum wage. And frankly, that sucks. I used to deliver for "rolled dice" about 13 years ago and everyone made at least minimum wage. Hell, the local PH in town had a company vehicle that people used for delivery, so you didn't have to burn out your own vehicle.

So now, not only do I have to pay a delivery fee (something that wasn't around back when I delivered and something that does NOT go to the driver), I'm expected to tip, PLUS subsidize the company's wages because they're too cheap to even pay their workers minimum wage. Oh and let's not forget subsidizing the employee's gas costs, because I'm pretty sure the company's "reimbursement" isn't enough to cover that either. Nor will they cover your higher insurance premiums because your job is now racking up miles on the road.

Your employer sucks ass. I can guarantee your customers aren't suddenly tipping at hugely higher rates. Matter of fact, they're probably tipping less and blaming the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
                              Racket Man, it wasn't until reading some of your posts over on CS that I learned delivery drivers can make less than minimum wage. And frankly, that sucks. I used to deliver for "rolled dice" about 13 years ago and everyone made at least minimum wage. Hell, the local PH in town had a company vehicle that people used for delivery, so you didn't have to burn out your own vehicle.
                              yes it USED to be the way you remember it. drivers got minimum wage all the time AND used to be compensated for their vehicle either via the IRS's suggested rate per mile OR a percentage (I have heard 5 or 6 %???) of the $$$'s delivered on a shift as a "commission".

in the last 4 years or so the pay and compensation landscape has drastically changed.

So now, not only do I have to pay a delivery fee (something that wasn't around back when I delivered and something that does NOT go to the driver), I'm expected to tip, PLUS subsidize the company's wages because they're too cheap to even pay their workers minimum wage. Oh and let's not forget subsidizing the employee's gas costs, because I'm pretty sure the company's "reimbursement" isn't enough to cover that either. Nor will they cover your higher insurance premiums because your job is now racking up miles on the road.
                              QFT in the last 4 or 5 years most larger (and a lot of smaller) pizza places have gone sub-sub minimum wage all the time. The IRS rate per mile went out the window also. most places pay a straight "dollar amount" per delivery reguardless of how many miles it it or how big the order is. This amount can be as low as 70 cents to as high as $1.20 per delivery.

starting about 5 years ago the prices of raw ingredants such as cheese and veggies and meat skyrocketed because of the spike in oil/gas prices. the companies raised the delivery charge a LOT but gave us little inn he sway of extra vehicle compensation. Yes delivery business went way up during that spike BUT tips went down cause "Hey, the economy is bad and I don't have very much money".

The problem is is that commodity prices have stay high and companies have done really insane low price promotions that lasted way too long. so they had to "make up" for those "lost profits" somehow. Well they took it out on their employees and forced wage cuts on to said employees.

as for my costs... HMMMMM they do not seem to be diminishing at all but I am forced to cover more and more of those costs. my average vehicle comensation is around 23 CENTS PER MILE yet the IRS suggests that the per mile rate should be 55.1 or 55.5 cents per mile---- a difference of 32 cents

and I can not even claim those mile on my Federal Taxes to get back some of that "lost" money. in order to do so you really have to itemize your Federal return and even then you will only get back like 15%

Your employer sucks ass. I can guarantee your customers aren't suddenly tipping at hugely higher rates. Matter of fact, they're probably tipping less and blaming the economy.
                              more than you know

and to HYDYBT:
                              the one thing that make me mad is that YES there may be the "we accept tips" thing implied but it is so overt, guilt ridden and pervasive these days that it dilutes those jobs actually depend on tips.

My other problem is the overtness of these jars. they are RIGHT THERE with signs on them. I AM NOT allowed to be even covert about tips. Stiff me I have to suck it up, Laugh in my face about tips I have to suck it up ETC. if I even get slightly convert about tips I CAN be fired, YET my job heavily depends on tips but I am not allowed the same "freedom" as the tip jars.

To Quote Blas
                              Anyone making a standard hourly wage, even if it's at Subway or Starbucks....forget it. That jar is just a begging chip.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
                                So now, not only do I have to pay a delivery fee (something that wasn't around back when I delivered and something that does NOT go to the driver)....
                                That actually depends on several factors. Some places actually pass some or all of that fee on to the drivers. I suspect those are the minority, however.

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                                My other problem is the overtness of these jars. they are RIGHT THERE with signs on them. I AM NOT allowed to be even covert about tips.
                                You're blaming the jars when the problem is the policies of the workplace.

Yes, it absolutely sucks that you can't tell the people who stiffed you on the tip that you don't even get paid minimum wage and that you make little or nothing out of the "delivery fee" that they paid the company, but it has nothing to do with the existence or lack thereof of the tip jars. Your anger is misguided.

Again, the jars are there because some people like to tip and they give those people an opportunity to do so that won't endanger the livelihoods of the people they wish to tip. The jars are neutral. Any guilt anyone feels about not putting money into a tip jar for an establishment where the employees are paid at least minimum wage is putting that on themselves.

I've actually put money in the jar for my favorite Subway because they do go above and beyond, and the workers there acted like they'd forgotten it was even there. Heck, I'd tip my favorite Jack in the Box workers if there was a mechanism available to do so, because they, too, are awesome, above and beyond the requirements of their jobs.

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X