I want an upgrade, but I don't want to be inconvenienced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want an upgrade, but I don't want to be inconvenienced

I am seeing this more and more down here.

Lately, they are beginning the process of electrifying the rail lines. They're also upgrading ALL the lines to ensure that they are capable of electrification. They've been doing this in a rolling process. So far, three out of the six lines in my state have gone through, or are currently undertaking this process. Now they're closing down two of the smaller lines so they can be upgraded and also to take the pressure off of the terminating station in the city so the station itself can also be upgraded.

People however seem to think that electrification simply involves sticking a cable overhead and ta-dah! Electrified trainline! But I swear to God, the amount of bitching and whining that is going on about them being "inconvenienced" and how people will not want to go back onto public transport once the project is completed astounds me. I swear that they seem to have this magical idea that an electrification project can be done while the train lines are still running.

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
    But I swear to God, the amount of bitching and whining that is going on about them being "inconvenienced" and how people will not want to go back onto public transport once the project is completed astounds me.
    This is right up there with, "We need X dammit when will the government get their heads out of their asses and give us X"

*The votes finally make X possible*

"Wait what do you mean you want us to pay for X your the government you can just make people work for free X better not cost me anything!"
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
      This is right up there with, "We need X dammit when will the government get their heads out of their asses and give us X"

"Wait what do you mean you want us to pay for X your the government you can just make people work for free X better not cost me anything!"
      I can't help but be reminded of that Simpsons episode where Homer convinces the city to set up a Bear Patrol but then gets upset when he realizes he (and the rest of Springfield) will have to pay for it.

Comment

A *bit* oversimplified, but pretty much, yes, I would expect that electrifying a rail line would require very little other than stringing up the wires. I mean, they'd need posts here and there to support them, and anything already there might have to be moved out of the way, but it should be relatively simple.

They replaced the rails themselves on the (single-track) line near where my brother lives, and did so in a way that only required closing it for a day or two at a time adding up to less than a week. That's freight, not passenger, but it shouldn't make a difference in the time involved. Seems like if they wanted to they could do it only on off days, or only at night. It would cost more, but it might well be worth the extra.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Seems like if they wanted to they could do it only on off days, or only at night. It would cost more, but it might well be worth the extra.
          Typical taxpayer response to this proposal, "What do you mean that would cost more no make them work nights and weekends for the same money as weekdays and tell their families to fuck off"
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

It's how they repaved (I think it was the Downtown Connector) in Atlanta recently. The thing is fully packed much of the day when there's *not* construction, and it needed doing. They closed a few lanes at a time, and only at night (and, I think, on weekends when there was no big event going on) and had it fully open when it was really needed. I don't know how many, if any, complaints there were about the extra labor cost... but all things considered, the cost of either doing it the other way or not doing it at all were higher.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post

People with that attitude need to be told "You think it's OK to make people work for free? Fine - you're drafted for the project". Sort of like our mayor being elected on a "derail the gravy train" platform to get rid of waste in the system. The only gravy that he found was that city workers were able to put food on the table, and he proceeded to get rid of that "gravy".

Comment

Working...
              X