Fluff Parenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Parenting

I guess since I'm not a parent, maybe I don't understand. I mean, I can understand sometimes going back on a punishment or easing up on it, if something new happens or the truth is discovered too late, because there were many times I was grounded upon the moment my mom heard or found out anything, without thinking, she'd instantly ground me to the highest form of isolation. Then, maybe a day or two would go by and she'd be corrected by a friend's parent or a teacher or something, and she'd realize she jumped gun and she'd let me off a little easier.

But this is just....silly.

My boyfriend has a kid brother. A very naughty little brother. When we first started dating, he was telling me how his mother (who is already bad with money) was putting herself more in the hole because she decided to send his little brother to parochial private school to "get him away from all of his bad friends" at public school. But, my boyfriend explained, his little brother is usually the ring leader, if not that, just as responsible for all the bad things he and his friends have done.

I heard a few stories here and there, and it's mostly his brother and the neighborhood kids (and even with him going to a new school, he still sees them outside of school) doing usual stupid kid vandalism and whatnot.

His little brother never gets punished or stays punished, for long. Honestly, there's been times I've spent more time looking out the window at my car than focusing on the bf at that house because he told me earlier that his brother had smashed pumpkins in the driveway or was throwing rocks or whatnot.

Well, most recently, bf overheard his little brother call up a friend and say to meet him out in the woods, and that he'd stolen some matches from his ma. Bf immediately called his mom, but the little kid got out of the house before bf could catch him (he sleeps all day and the little kid does whatever he wants when ma isn't home and at work till evening), but he had left his phone on the counter, so bf was able to look through it and find the number he'd called, and also, found some text messages he'd been sending to another little boy that were borderline obscene.

His ma came home and bf showed her the messages, and when his brother came back and wreeked of smoke (not to mention those kids are ALWAYS starting fires! At least once every few months!), he tried to lie and say they had a fire in the backyard at that boy's house, but his Ma found the number of the friend and called and spoke to that kids' parents, and they said the boys went out in the woods and his friend smelled like smoke, too. His mom was literally screaming when she saw what he'd texted another little boy.

So she took his phone away and secured her computer so he couldn't get on it, and said he was grounded for two weeks.

Bf told me he'd be surprised if his brother was grounded for two days.

Not surprisingly, he's off grounding.

And next, we wait and see when the woods start on fire, or someone's house or something else valuable starts on fire. But bf says he hopes that doesn't happen, not only because of the obvious reason, but because when his mother will be demanded to pay damages, she doesn't have money to, so she'll try to force him to pay it. Not that he'd have to, but he'd end up probably having to immediately find an apartment or house of his own because she'd probably kick him out or make it so miserable at home that he won't stay. And what's sad is my bf pays part of the mortgage because his mom can't do it on her own. There's a story behind it, the little brother's father broke up with Ma as soon as he found out my bf was still going to stay at home to save money, so he bailed on the house payment and everything, and bf doesn't want his little brother living with that guy.

I'm no parent either but I can say that if my parents found my sisters and I doing the type of shit your bf's little brother is doing, they would've shipped our asses out of the country (I'm South American btw) or put us in boot camp. Fluff parenting is just setting the parents and children up for failure. If they're gonna punish them, be firm and consistent, ffs. Sometimes putting a little fear in God in kids works...along with whoopin' that ass if they really get outta line.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Yeah punishment should be punishment. Yeah I believe in good behavior get some time off but seriously just saying well I am tired of your whining your free to go yeah screw that.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X