Having my life threatened for my opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having my life threatened for my opinions

I stated what is an unpopular opinion it seems. Piracy is bad. Well okay so people don't agree with my opinion but seriously I think telling me your gonna send Meth Heads to get me is a little over the top in the reaction department.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

What's the context here? Did this happen in real life or on the Internet somewhere?

Comment

I could see it happening on both sides.

When that radio DJ had his rant about autism and a bunch of people on the Asperger's website wrongplanet freaked out over it, I was the badguy for defending his freedom of speech.

I got more than my fair share of Us/Them mentality threats.
      The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

indeed.

in my opinion any RL threat is over the top. and requires swift and legal handling. teaches people to stfu when they're talking shit trying to intimidate others etc.

hope you're OK

Comment

Know your audience. If you like to kicks hornet nests, play devils advocate or can't control your urges to exercise your own view or 'freedom of speech' in the wrong place, expect to be antagonized (actually, thats trolling). Obvs. the way the threat was communicated would need to be known, internet threats for the most parts are gibberish . I'm not a a moron so I dont believe/feel threatened by all the threats I've gotten in my MMORPG games. A raving lunatic infront of me making threaths would be totally something else. This sounds like an internet threat.

Some people resort to threats or name calling when anyone disagrees with them. Seems like you've been trough this before so claiming persecution while knowingly pissing on the cheerios of the wrong audience, I mean trolling, seems, well.. kinda self serving.

Comment

Context was friend of a friend posted an article about SOPA I posted my opinion on the situation in a respectful, "This is my opinion" way and he went off on me. I should have mentioned in my OP that I don't really think it was much in the way of a real threat but it shocked me that his initial reaction to my opinion was personal attacks.

I guess I am spoiled by fratching where people question my opinions rather than attack me as a person.

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            Seems like you've been trough this before so claiming persecution while knowingly pissing on the cheerios of the wrong audience, I mean trolling, seems, well.. kinda self serving.
            I don't troll but if people post up a topic of conversation I will politely state my opinion. Usually people will argue my opinion not tell me how much I as a person suck.
            Last edited by jackfaire; 02-14-2012, 03:32 AM.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

If it was on FB, get used to it. I had some very interesting things said to and about me for questioning someone's bad behaviour. *Evil grin* The poor bastard ended up blocking ME even though I was perfectly polite and he was the one yelling, cussing and making death threats. I guess I should know better than to question how a person making controlling statements and deaththreats against my sister-in-law's family isn't being abusive.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                I guess I am spoiled by fratching where people question my opinions rather than attack me as a person.
                This sentiment is why I have drifted away from various other forums (Gaia Online, the Escapist) because they are full of wailing infants who do not know how to argue or avoid logical fallacies.

*hugs Fratching and CS*

Comment

If you like to kicks hornet nests, play devils advocate or can't control your urges to exercise your own view or 'freedom of speech' in the wrong place, expect to be antagonized (actually, thats trolling).
                  It's really not trolling to share an opinion you have if it's not a popular opinion. It may not be popular, but it's not TROLLING, if it's a sincerely held, respectfully stated belief.
                  "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                  ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
                  X