No announcement yet.

Baby Showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can kind of see why some people wouldn't want kids at a baby shower. Some of the games are paired up with sexual jokes. For example, I've heard of one game where the pregnant woman opens a series of gifts and everyone keeps track of the first things she says after opening each gift, and after it's over everyone will claim that those things were what she said to her husband when the baby was conceived. The joke is that she often says things like "Wow! I've never had one like this before!" or "This is bigger than I thought!"

Of course, some people may not have a problem with kids hearing things like this, but many would.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
      I lost contact with most of my high school 'friends' after graduation. However, this amazing thing happened. Once they all started popping out babies, I was their best buddy again! They wanted me to come to alllll their showers, and bring my mom, too! F you. If I haven't seen or spoken to you in 5 years, why the hell would I buy your baby a present? Ridiculous.
      Stuff like this irks me to no end. I haven't had it happen with people from high school, luckily, but I had something even more irritating happen. There is a girl who was childhood friends with my husband. We went to her wedding, which was the first and only time I have ever talked with her, and that was only for 5 minutes at the most. Not long after she got pregnant, and guess what? I ended up getting an invitation to her baby shower. I understand that she was friends with my husband, but even they hadn't really spoken in years prior to her wedding, and really not much afterwards. I found it incredibly tacky. The invitation should have just said "Please send me money/a gift, because that's all I really care about".

Comment

I am no fan of kids or babies, but I have a keen eye for fashion, and you best bet your last dollar my gift was the cutest of all :P

Comment

I hated my cousin's baby shower. I was roped into helping open the gifts (by the same aunt who told me was my job as cousin to change diapers. Um, no). Gotta love using family as the help. So glad we didn't do that diaper-candy game....ew.

The shower sucked, but good thing the kid turned out pretty cool.

Comment

The diaper game is disgusting. I can't believe anyone finds that amusing.

Maybe it's because I don't have kids. But damn, ever since playing that game, I've had a hard time eating my once favorite candy bars. And I used to love candy

Comment

Amusingly a parent's online support group I belong to was just discussing this topic.

Our overall feeling seemed to be that the baby shower should be about celebrating that there is going to be a baby and that gifts should not be mandatory nor even expected.

As for kids it should be everyone getting together to celebrate the baby. Hell most guys I know are just as excited as their wives are that there is going to be a baby.

Of course some of them I suspect hope he sounds like Bruce Willis.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Working...
              X