sportswear manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sportswear manufacturers

As part of my education degree, I have a Health/PE curriculum class this semester. Said class is obviously practical. And is fast becoming an area of torture for me.

I went hunting for some suitable PE gear to wear to class. What I wanted was something more durable. I didn't give a rats about whether it was a brand name or not, only if it fit.
    And what I discovered, was that very few sports manufacturers actually manufacture plus-sized sports clothing. If I want durable sports clothing, I apparently have to hit up the local Kmart for their very cheaply-made clothing and pray that it can last 1 week before falling apart.

(Ironically I ended up picking up a skirt from there which hopefully should be suitable, along with some bike shorts underneath for modestys sake. If the skirt fails, I can hopefully sit through the semester-long class in bike-shorts)

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
    And what I discovered, was that very few sports manufacturers actually manufacture plus-sized sports clothing.
    May I ask what sorts of sportswear you're looking for? There's no market for high-performance sportswear in plus-sizes, since by the time a person has reached the need for such clothes, they're presumably high-performing and are no longer obese.

You're not going to need a fancy sportsbra that prevents chafing even after running a half-marathon, for example. Your class isn't likely to require that much.

I see lots of overweight and obese women at my gym, all of whom are dressed comfortably and appropriately for their workouts. All you really need is a good pair of shoes and pants and a t-shirt made of something stretchy. I wore really cheap tights and t-shirts for the first six months of going to the gym.

If you can find something made of moisture-wicking material, that would be beneficial. Try Old Navy. Their stuff is usually cheap and won't last long, but I've had good luck with their yoga pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
      If you can find something made of moisture-wicking material, that would be beneficial. Try Old Navy. Their stuff is usually cheap and won't last long, but I've had good luck with their yoga pants.
      I live by my local Old Navy, and find their stuff lasts quite well to be honest. Never thrown out anything from Old Navy due to wear and tear. Usually end up donating it. Identical items with designer labels at 3x the price I have destroyed in literally 2 weeks though, meh.

Can't remember the last time I bought anything from a "high end" clothing company. Mainly wear Old Navy stuff and get good, solid boots from Pay Less Shoes that last years. Only thing I'll go outside of that realm for is really good winter coats or formal wear.

Comment

Old Navy doesn't carry plus-size merchandise in stores. I've noticed 'workout' type clothing at JC Penney's (my go-to for plus-size basics), but I'm not sure on price. You may not need a lot of high-performance clothing, but a lot of us larger ladies do need a larger, quality sports bra. Otherwise, even going on the elliptical can be quite painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
          You're not going to need a fancy sportsbra that prevents chafing even after running a half-marathon, for example. Your class isn't likely to require that much.
          Actually, I need anti-chafe stuff because I'm vulnerable to 'intertrigo'. I don't even count as 'obese' anymore, just 'overweight' (using the BMI): honestly, a lot of larger-sized people do need moisture-wicking & durable sports garb 'just' for 'low impact' stuff, because of vulnerability to intertrigo, chafing, and other medical issues.

It really is a problem, and one of the many which hinder people who are struggling to become fit.

Comment

Old Navy workout clothes are actually built pretty decent and last very well, in my experience.

Edit to add: I have a coworker who only wears those black straight flare leg workout pants from Old Navy to work. Not the yoga pants, because she hates those flaps on the waist band (I don't have any of those from Old Navy but I have them from other stores). She has a pair for every day at work, and she only has to buy a new pair every few months, after wearing them for not only a 12 hour on-her-feet shift, but also to the gym after work for running.

I finally got a pair of those black pants myself, and I found them to be very great for the elliptical and treadmill. Not too warm and very comfy. I even slept in them when I got back home, they are so nice. I want to go back and get more. They are a lot better than the yoga pants I've gotten at Charlotte or Wet Seal.

I have three of the stay-dry workout tanks. They aren't really that great for "staying dry", but they are a lot comfier and go well with my sports bras better than the female wife beater tanks I was using before. I still have some of those and will use them until they get too nasty, but for $7-$10 a piece, you can't go wrong. If you get there at a good sale, you can usually get two for $10.
            Last edited by blas87; 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
              I went hunting for some suitable PE gear to wear to class. What I wanted was something more durable. I didn't give a rats about whether it was a brand name or not, only if it fit.
              under armor, is sold online, it's a bit pricy, but highly moisture wicking, the women's line usually only goes to size XL, but the men's goes up to 4XL, I wear men's clothing if I can, it's usually cheaper.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I wear men's clothing on a daily basis. I go to Walmart for workout stuff. So far its lasting me. Plus I feel trapped in women's clothes. I don't like skin tight clothing.

Comment

Working...
                X