Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socially Awkward

Things that suck about being socially awkward -

1) I never know what to say to people, and I usually pick the wrong one. Just the other day, I asked someone how a relative was doing, trying to be polite and show interest in their world. Of course, turns out their relative is not doing so well, and it's a sensitive subject and I shouldn't have brought it up. Not like anyone yelled at me, but it was just like, gee whiz, sorry. Other times, I won't say anything, and then it's like "Dude, you should've asked her how Megan was doing. At least ACT like you care." Or even with less serious issues, I'll just start blathering on about something the other person clearly doesn't care about. Like talking up WoW while everyone is trying to watch football. Or taking it too far - knowing I'm in a room of sports nuts, so I'll start blathering on about every bit of sports trivia I can think of.

2) I never know what people are saying to me. I have a hard time understanding what people tell me. I can even hear them just fine, but for some reason my brain misinterprets words as like a foreign language. Isup pose it would bel ike read ingthis sentence like this. Thesyll ables areall off.

3) I'm always on the wrong wavelength. Someone might say "Dude that was so awesome!" To which I'll say "Thank you!" recalling the awesome thing I did a few minutes ago. "Oh I meant the beer." Sometimes it's obvious too, and I just don't get it.

4) I give too much of a shit what people think of me. Wish I didn't. I try not to, I can pretend not to, but I do.

5) I feel unwelcome just about everywhere I go. You know, like if you were at your ex-wife's house and her family was over and they hate you for cheating on her. Feel like everyone is staring at me like "You're not welcome here. What are you even doing here? You don't belong. Get out."
Working...
X