You Can Ask, I Don't Care!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Can Ask, I Don't Care!

This is one of those things I understand, but it still annoys me.

My son looks androgynous, even for a toddler. Though I never have him dressed up in pink tutus (though he totally could wear one if he wanted), people still often mistake him for a girl, because he has long, curly hair.

I don't care if people think he is a girl. If a stranger refers to him as 'her', I don't bother correcting them usually, since I will never see them again.

But it annoys me when people get all coy about it. Today a woman asked him 4 times what his name was. He of course refused to answer because he is shy, but instead of asking me, she kept badgering him. I cannot be 100% sure but I think she was trying to determine his gender and would have been embarrassed if she asked, "What is his/her name?" and got it wrong (she had been whispering to another woman and they were both staring at him before she asked, which made me think they were debating what he was).

Also today in the restroom a little girl asked her grandma, "Is that a boy or girl?" Instead of asking me, the grandma said, "Uhhhhhhh it's a girl." (she was obviously guessing).

I understand the confusion. I understand they would be embarrassed if they assumed he was a boy and he was really a girl who liked Thomas the Tank Engine t-shirts. I understand they don't want to upset me. But seriously, I'm not dumb enough to think my kid doesn't look androgynous and I don't mind if you guess wrong or if you have to ask!

So, I know there is nothing I can do about it, I understand and sympathize with the reasons for it, but I still find it mildly irritating so I wanted to bitch about it here.

On a side note, other little kids rarely seem to have a problem divining his gender (the little girl in the restroom was a rarity). I wonder why. I think adults are maybe just more aware of embarrassing themselves or the parents if they get it wrong and second-guess themselves, and little kids just don't give a crap.

Pretty much all babies look androgynous; most of what makes them look like boys are girls are things adults do to them to make them stand out as one or the other.

Why anyone would be embarrassed to not automatically know the sex of every baby they come across leaves me baffled.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

Why anyone would be embarrassed to not automatically know the sex of every baby they come across leaves me baffled.

^-.-^
      Some of us have made the wrong assumption and said 'she' instead of 'he' and vice versa and gotten catbutt face from the parents, along with them snapping "It's a GIRL/BOY!" at us. Granted, usually the times this has happened to me, it was a little boy with shoulder length curls wearing pink shorts or something similar.
      A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

I can definitely sympathize with this. Whether anyone in my family likes to admit it or not, I get stared at. A lot. Only once in a blue moon, though, will anyone bother to actually ask me why I'm in a wheelchair. Otherwise, it's just 'Hey, let's stare at that girl and make her feel all self-conscious' most of the time.

And, yes, I have noticed that kids are more open and more willing to ask me why I'm in a wheelchair and it's the adults that mostly just gawk at me like I'm a three-headed sloth.

Comment

From my experience most people would rather be asked than stared at and whispered about, My friend said he gets the same thing by people trying to figure out the ethnicity of his kids (Filipino/African-America). It's tricky though, I don't think I would encourage Khan to ask people stuff like that either, because not everyone feels the way you do.

Comment

I don't have kids. But I have that happen to me all the time. I am a girl with short hair, usually spiked up. I wear men's clothes and have a semi deep voice. People just stare and stare. Oddly enough, its either old people or 30 something year old women that do that to me.

Comment

I had the absolute worst infant/toddlerhood because I was supposed to have been a boy. And coming from a family so poor that dirt laughs, well, you can imagine how hard it was to replace my wardrobe with more appropriate stuff.

There are pictures of me in pink and ruffles and whatnot, just not many.

Comment

You have an older brother, right, blas? The vast majority of my wardrobe was handed down from my sister, at least until I was 10 or so. But at least we were the same gender.

Comment

Nope, I have a younger brother.

I did have a lot of hand-me-downs from cousins and older kids of friends of my parents. Again, lots of boy clothes. I really only had one female cousin who was actually very girly and feminine, so her hand me downs were like a gold mine. I had other female cousins, but they were tomboys or so much older than me that they no longer really had clothes that they kept around from younger ages.

Comment

We were about a year apart but for the first few years of my life my mom would dress me and my brother in matching outfits any chance she got.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Working...
                    X