Excessive use of abbreviations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive use of abbreviations

I know that abbreviations are supposed to save time or whatever, especially when texting. But I saw this status update on Facebook about a friend's birthday. Another one of his friends commented: "HBD!" Is it really that hard to write out Happy Birthday? If you're not getting them a present, at least write the whole thing out for crying out loud.

i guess I'm just too old??!!

I guess people not knowing how to spell properly bugs me more than abbreviations.

Like in text messages or responses to FB updates.

Comment

To me, it depends largely on whether it's a fairly common abbreviation (LOL) or one that's blatantly obvious and done because you only have a few characters available, or something cryptic. And I'd put "HBD" for "happy birthday" squarely in the last group.

I tend to spell everything out unless it's impossible to fit that way. Even when typing on a phone keypad where you press 2 three times if you want a C, etc.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        To me, it depends largely on whether it's a fairly common abbreviation (LOL) or one that's blatantly obvious and done because you only have a few characters available, or something cryptic. And I'd put "HBD" for "happy birthday" squarely in the last group.

I tend to spell everything out unless it's impossible to fit that way. Even when typing on a phone keypad where you press 2 three times if you want a C, etc.
        See LOL as an abbreviation has always made sense to me because it's not something you would actually say in conversation. I usually only abbreviate actions.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

How about abbreviations with the wrong letters? I just wanna smack my head against the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
            See LOL as an abbreviation has always made sense to me because it's not something you would actually say in conversation. I usually only abbreviate actions.
            I've never said LOL in a conversation...

Unless I misread you?
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
              I've never said LOL in a conversation...

Unless I misread you?
              I don't know I don't know how you read me. I wasn't saying anyone does say it in conversation though God Save me I have heard them. More it was just about pointing out that it seems things the other person can't see you do but you can describe doing would be more appropriate for abbreviation.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

I get that a lot in wow. "First use IA and then BS your TD with a 5SR and then spam TT."

Then I have to get looking at all my abilities and spells to try and translate it.

Comment

DrFaroohk - I think my brain just broke.
                  Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Working...
                  X