Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitpicking

Let me explain.

Not that I don't appreciate a heads up or someone preventing a potentially embarrassing situation, but damn, can't some people just keep their hands to themselves or learn some tact and manners?

Growing up, my parents taught me that it was polite to let someone know if they had food on their face or whatnot, but to never just go ahead and touch someone or pull on their clothes to fix them without telling them. They always said, "Ask, 'May I fix this for you?" or just say "Excuse me, your tag is sticking out."

I know I pride myself on my appearance. But, I can't stop the wind. And occasionally, or...well, more often than that, I will walk inside from outside and there will be a hair or two or ten out of place. If I don't get to a mirror or just not care, I really HATE the nitpicker who has to stare at me, and make gestures about having hair sticking up. Or someone who just comes up behind me and flattens against the back of my head with their hand because sitting in the car made my hair staticy.

Or the person sitting at the break table nearby who has to immediately, the MOMENT I take a bite and start chewing, start wildly pointing at the side of their mouth, indicating I have a bit of mayo on my lip. Ok, I'm just gonna wipe while I just started chewing because it bothers you oh so much!

Or, the random person who just walks up behind me and fixes the tag sticking out of the back of my shirt, and usually makes a comment like "Geez, who dressed you today, child?"

To me, it's only ok for people I'm comfortable with to just go ahead and touch me like that. If someone just says "Oh, your tag is sticking out," that's fine.

If someone just wants to say "Your hair's a little messy, was it windy outside?" or "It looks like you might have an eyelash on your nose there," that's fine. If they ask permission because I can't see what's wrong, they can go ahead and try to fix it.

But. Don't. Pick. At. Me without asking, don't make gestures and stare and expect me to fix myself the moment you take offense to something mildly wrong with my appearance.

Stupid rant, I know. But I'm sick of rude people.

I always hate people who pick at me for my style. Look, I choose to wear these clothes; I'm not forcing you at gunpoint to wear them, am I? So shut up.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

For the people who feel they have the right to fix whatever it is that is bothering them without so much as a by your leave, I'd got all Kuzco with the "no touchy" and stuff.

Seriously, since when is it ok to touch anyone without their express permission?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, nitpicking in the almost-literal sense!

I'm surprised to hear adults actually do that to each other. Moms to their kids, yes, but let the grown-ups handle themselves.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Next thing you know, they'll be spitting on a tissue and wiping your face. O_o

Comment

I used to have ladies from my church do that all the time. I have a big personal space issue, and when I'd freeze and start to panic because they'd stuck their hand down the back of my shirt to fix my tag, they'd look at me and say, "Child, you need to calm down," or something like that. Well, you need to at least ask first before touching me!

Comment

I'm sure they wouldn't be so keen on doing that if you were the kind of person who automatically hit out when your bubble was invaded.

Comment

Ah yes....the touchers. I missed the sticker on the back of a new pair of jeans on my way to work one night and had a girl behind me on the escalator peel it off my ass. -.-

Comment

Tags are itchy. Sometimes I'll deliberately flip a tag out, because it's itching my neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Ah yes....the touchers. I missed the sticker on the back of a new pair of jeans on my way to work one night and had a girl behind me on the escalator peel it off my ass. -.-
                    Reminds me of this: http://youtu.be/W1wPG3o8drU

Yeah, clip is in Spanish, but you get the picture. O_o

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      Next thing you know, they'll be spitting on a tissue and wiping your face. O_o
                      That is just disgusting! I hate seeing people do that, it grosses me out. What's wrong with using a wet wipe or making a quick trip to the washroom?

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                        Nearly inside leg for me in the middle of the canteen - in front of her girlfriend so I knew it wasn't a ploy.

Rapscallion
                        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I make extra sure not to forget price tags or stickers, even the little circular size stickers or the big ones that go on jeans.

I don't get people's deals with violating personal space. Seriously.....does someone's tag out really bother you that badly? Really?

Comment

When I worked at Wal-Mart, I had a vest where the tag kept sticking out no matter how many times I tucked it back in. One day, one of my coworkers said, "Ack, I've had it!" and took her box cutter out and came up behind me and sliced off the tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishi View Post
                              That is just disgusting! I hate seeing people do that, it grosses me out. What's wrong with using a wet wipe or making a quick trip to the washroom?
                              It's mostly mothers I see doing this; and yeah, it's disgusting. Carry wet wipes!

Comment

Working...
                              X