Everyone Wants a Handout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
    Saving someone's life and investing in someone's business have what do with each other now?
    Either straw man or moving the goal posts; either way, it's bad debate form.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Actually neither one! Just using examples to show that sharing is good.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        I had a friend loved to play the lottery and he would actually ask, "If I won the lottery and gave you part of it what would you do with it"

If you said something cool like take a year off to travel Europe and work on your novel (mine)

You made his list.
        List of people to give money to or list of people to avoid financially at all costs?

My answer to this question has always been 'buy a house'. And since I've been daydreaming for some months of a lovely four-bed close to where I live now...I can guarantee I'm not meaning a mansion.

*daydreams*

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
          List of people to give money to or list of people to avoid financially at all costs?
          List of people to give money to. He had a unique outlook on life. We used to party at his house every week until he settled down got married and became a hermit.

Yeah but Farhook sharing something just because you have it and the other person wants it is stupid, bad, and wrong not to mention setting the wrong precedent.

I will share in that if I am about to order a pizza I will share with those present but I am not going to just start handing out my money no matter how much I have.

If the person has a business idea and I deem it a good investment I will invest but I won't just throw some money their way and say, "Sure here whatever" I am not a dick for refusing to fund a pipe dream that will not work.
          Last edited by jackfaire; 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

It's not an asshole move to not share. But it's also not an asshole move for him to ask. That's what you DO when you start up a business.

It is rude for your family to diss you over not forgiving a loan. But that's the thing about loaning, especially within family. Like they say, 'never a borrower nor a lender be.' It's not because you might not get paid back, it's because money can come between friends.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
              sharing is good.
              Dirty needles and STD's gimmie j/k

When I moved I had saved money to do so given that I had no idea how long I would be unemployed, I got burned there.

Captain Dickhead once asked to borrow a few hundred off me so he could enroll in an evening class
              "A couple of hundred? What the hell class cost's that much?" considering I had spent less than £100 on a 25-30 week evening class it seemed steep.
              "Fancy sounding name."
              "What's that when it's around?"
              "Something to do with flint's"
              Never loaned him a penny (almost typed dime for some reason) turns out it was to help bail out a mutual friend's back rent and it wasn't the first time he had done so, infact cos she didn't need to pay that month she spent what she had accumilated and then went cap in hand for seconds.

He was paying one credit card off with a second and 15k in debt at the time, he should have known better.

I used to get accosted round this time of the month, paid on the 25th or Friday if it's a weekend by one or both of the wastes of space for a few quid here and there, rarely got anything back so I just said,
              "Untill I get money back from all these unpaid £3.50's (always £3.50 with one guy each time) you have no credit here."
              Even then I still get asked and I only pay out if I have enough in bronze or 5p's to make it.

I'm my brothers Gauanteer for his rent and his old place kicked him out cos his work shafted him too many times with late payements and even though I was paying the difference, they or the home owners more than the letting agency said sod it.
              I've not been collared by the new lot yet (so far) but I did have to stump up £1100 + nearly £100 in rail fares cos they wanted me to sign the forms in person to move him in to his current gaff, needless to say over the last year I owe my savings account way too much money and I have kept my going out to all but fuck all trying to claw it back month by month.

I do not see getting any money back any time soon, but anyone other than my brother, sucks to be you, but if you get evicted I can not/will not help you out.

Unless you are a hawt chick then we mgiht be able to come to some form of arrangement

Comment

lol strawman. "Share with your family" turns into "Give money out to random people!" Gotta love it.

Comment

lol strawman. "Share with your family" turns into "Give money out to random people!" Gotta love it.
                  To be fair, countering an argument about the frustration of being hit up for money with 'But, if you had 90 billion dollars...' is a bit silly and unrealistic.

I can certainly see why people are considering this a strawman.

Comment

lol strawman. "Share with your family
                    Sharing with your family is stupid no strawman no exaggeration flat out sharing money with your familly because your brother has a really good use for it that isn't life or death is flat out dumb.

Period.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Sharing with your family is stupid no strawman no exaggeration flat out sharing money with your familly because your brother has a really good use for it that isn't life or death is flat out dumb.
                      Wait, why?

Because I want to be nice to people who've helped me? I like to give gifts to people. It makes them feel good, and it makes me feel good to make them feel good.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

It's easy to spend others money. I could do it all day and night, not break a sweat. Those that argue about how it is bad not to help save lives/etc...how much have you went to the local homeless shelter and volunteered your free time? Doesn't even cost anything, and they do help save lives. Or volunteer as an orderly at a hospital? Hey I mean..every waking moment you are not working and/or eating you could be doing SOMETHING to save lives without spending a dime. It is bad not to share your free time to help save people..how can you be so selfish?

Is it nice to give when you have extra? Absolutely. Is it a requirement? Nope. Should it be? Nope. So yeah..it is easy to say "You should give generously if you have extra." but keep in mind extra is subjective. I am sure you do not give every spare dime you can away. It's easy to spend somebody elses time/money/etc. How much have YOU done?

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                          Wait, why?
                          Honestly if you do it because you truly want to that's fine however if at any point in the "do i really wanna do this" the response was, "Well yeah of course he is my brother"

Then chances are you don't want to loan the money and it will hurt you. However if you say, "Sorry last time you came begging for 20 bucks for diapers for your kid the next day you were bragging about the fun time you had at the club funded by the so called diaper money."

That doesn't make you a dick to say no. The issue is that there are people that would accuse you of being one because how dare you say no to family.

It's right up there with "You always take your sibling's side even if you know they are wrong."

Blindly loaning to family is stupid.

Loaning to someone you feel is a good investment is good.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

Working...
                          X