Changing the focus to win the argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the focus to win the argument

Okay seriously if you bring up a topic and make a thesis statement and then everyone points out how your thesis statement is wrong don't suddenly say, "Jeez what is it with guys focusing on one little topic and ignoring the big picture"

This is not about here. I was in a Facebook debate where a girl said that the ONLY reason a girl would work in the sex industry is because her life had gone horribly wrong. Regardless of how you feel about that statement that was the topic of discussion that is what we discussed and dissected.

When the girl was getting trounced by both males and females she accused the males of focusing on one little topic instead of discussing the big picture. Naturally she didn't clarify how anyone was doing that. What made it come across as even more pathetic was the fact she did this after announcing, "I am done with this argument."
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I can see how it would be annoying to have someone call you out like that.

Without knowing exactly what was picked at in your discussion, at least with me it's something like a minor misstep in my first statement, which everyone harps on. I'll say 1955 instead of 1965, and suddenly my whole argument is wrong.

Comment

I'm not really on my game today, but I'm guessing it was one of those pathetic attempts to get the ball back in their court again? Like something stupid along the lines of "You're missing my point!"

I absolutely hate those arguments with people. What was your point to begin with, anyway? If we aren't allowed to go into shades of grey to determine why I believe vs what you believe, there is no point. Don't get mad at me for making you look like a fool, by saying "You aren't listening!" or "That's not what I meant!" or "You're missing my point!"

Comment

It comes from when someone knows DAMN WELL what you were talking about, yet they act as if you're speaking chinese. Like in the other thread about handouts - NO ONE is that stupid as to not "get" what I meant, and they knew what I was talking about, but no no, let's harp on one little logically fallacious thing I read from wikipedia and completely mis-applied to the situation.

Or maybe they don't outright know, but it's a certain close-mindedness that says "I refuse to even attempt to grasp what you mean. I'm going to be as stupidly rigid as I can, and not accept even the slightest statement from you."

A lot of cops are like this, although I suppose they have to be to a certain extent. You're accused of a crime, you point out that all their evidence is complete crap, do they listen? Nope, they act like "Well so what if our witness is a sociopathic drug addict? I don't see how that affects his credibility at all!"

Comment

My aunt-in-law actually blocked both myself AND Hubs because I dared to call her out on something she posted. She tried to change the subject before blocking both me and Hubby. Apparently, having a different viewpoint is so offensive that she can't ever talk to us again ever!

Normally, I avoid posting my opinion and calling people out, because I know it will bring drama I don't want, but what my aunt-in-law posted was so ignorant and offensive that I had to throw in my two-cents, and things went downhill from there.

(Apparently, Planned Parenthood shouldn't be needing funding for wellness exams, because the mere act of stepping foot in a PP clinic gives you cancer and if you don't go you don't need an exam because you're magically protected from cancer that way. That's not exactly what she said, but it's what she strongly insinuated. Also, if you get a free wellness exam from PP because you're poor and don't have insurance, you not only now have cancer but you're also a vicious baby killer. That was made clear in subsequent comments before she blocked me.)
          Last edited by bhskittykatt; 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X