Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insensitive Christian Website (another depression thread).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insensitive Christian Website (another depression thread).

**Disclaimer, this is not a rant against all Christians or Christianity, as I know most Christians who would be first in line to condemn this shit. It's more directed at the hardline hellfire stuff that brings out the insensitivity in people.**

Every once in a while I stumble upon this Christian Fundamentalist website (either via google or other means). Like most fundamentalist websites, I think it's bullshit at best and downright dangerous at best. However, of all the nutty websites I've found, this one always pushes a button. You see, he has an "advice collumn" for those who are struggling in life, feel worthless, unloved, or just want out of this world. What's his advice to those who are suffering emotionally? To tell them that if they kill themselves, they will spent eternity in hell!

Because that's exactly you need to hear when you're feeling hopeless and up shit creek with out a paddle! It gets worse, he tells them that

-Their addictions and struggles "sin" and deserve to be punished by God.
    -That everyone deserves to go to hell.
    -That they're selfish for not putting God first and that their problems are not important.
    -That they're either a slave to "sin" or a slave to God.
    -That life on earth is not important.
    -That modern psychology is evil for not condemning people's sins enough.

He has many Christians post to him (particularly teens) who'm he gives the same spiel. When they feel like God abandoned them, he tells them that God doesn't them owe them anything and assumes it's something they did to alienate God (not that God may have other plans for them). And don't even get me started on his advice towards those who are struggling with the "sin" of homosexuality...

I know this clown doesn't represent Christianity because he's had other Christians (even fundamentalists) call him out on his jerkassery. But he's so sure of himself, thinking he has "The Truth" and that anyone else who disagrees isn't a "True Christian". It doesn't help that he prides himself in being "brutally honest", acting like any positive or healthy message is just a lie. Because that's exactly what anyone who feels unloved needs to hear! Fucker...

I guess what really pisses me off is that this clown hides behind God and religion to be an insensitive douchebag to people who are reaching out. While I'm not religious myself (raised Catholic), I think people should be able to find comfort in a religious belief, not more fear, despair, and self hated.

**I'd post a link to the site, but I'm not sure if it's against the rules of the forum.**

Hm. I wonder if his words could be reported as a hate crime... >_>

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, that's really terrible. As a Christian struggling with severe depression myself, I stopped going to church because I felt like I didn't get any support there. It wasn't anywhere near as hateful as the kind of thing you're describing, but the modern Christian seems to just spew cliche Bible verses and empty promises of prayer as opposed to providing any actual friendship or support. Also, I'd get subtle hints that maybe I somehow deserved this, like my relationship with God wasn't strong enough or something. So I stopped going =/

Comment

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/

Is it that site?

This guy is a real gem, even if he isn't the one you're talking about.

Here's another amusing one.

http://usminc.org/

This guy (I think it's a guy) mainly just has it in for Wicca and other pagan religions.
        Last edited by guywithashovel; 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

No matter whose name you claim, if you're hurting people, you're doing the devil's work.

Which, though the 0 messes it up slightly, makes the thread number an appropriate coincidence
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
            http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/

Is it that site?

This guy is a real jem, even if he isn't the one you're talking about.
            Dear www.jesus-is-savior.com: 1996 called and wants its web design back. I took one look at that page. Oh God MY EYES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
              ... the modern Christian seems to just spew cliche Bible verses and empty promises of prayer as opposed to providing any actual friendship or support.
              That's more a churchian trait than Christian. Full of platitudes and Bible verses crowding out any redeeming qualities.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, I just feel like the average modern Christian would fall under the "churchian" tag...including a lot of those who use "churchian" in a derogatory manner, for example, like the people at my church.

Anyways, obviously I know not all Christians are like that, since I am one.

Comment

I should probably be more specific. His site had letters written to him and his responses. He wasn't openingly dissing anyone, just showing some "tough Christian love". But as with a lot of people showing tough love *coughtigermomscough*, his advice probably did more harm than good. I actually think the most damaging thing about his "advice" is that he makes it seem like God doesn't give a damn about the persons problem. Like "Why should God care about your piddly dink problems! You're just a sinner. Be glad you're not in hell, because that's really all you deserve". Otherwise, he'd just be another asshole.

It's one of those things I shouldn't get too upset about (just as with most crap on the internet), but it really strikes a nerve with me. It's the perfect example how NOT to be. But what I find scary is that this guy might think he's helping those people. I think when someone holds such a depressing, self defeating belief system, it clouds their view.

No, it's not Jesus Is Savior. However, JIS is in a category of it's own crazy. It's almost as bad as Westboro Baptist! I also heard the owner, David J Steward, faced charges of sexual misconduct with minors. Either way, he is one sick invididual.

Comment

I'd really like to have a link to this site. If you're worried about it being against the rules to post it, maybe run it by a mod first?

Comment

http://www.behindthebadge.net/

This is the one. The guy is a cop who found Jesus and now wants to spread his "good news". Unfortunately, he has a really shitty way of relating to those who are suicidal and depressed. If you are depressed, I would read this with caution as it makes me both extremely angry and sick every time I read it.

Sadly, there are a few others like him who view all suffering an endurance as a "test" from God or Satan. Therefore, they aren't very empathetic towards those who struggle.

Comment

I feel sorry for the people who wrote to him.

This attitude is all too common. The idea that depression is just all in your head and you just have to flip a switch to make it go away - both Christians and non-Christians preach it, it's just that Christians tend to add further guilt by making it a spiritual or a God relationship issue.

Reading that website made me want to cry =/

Comment

To borrow from one of the Harry Potter books: of course depression is all in your head. That doesn't make it any less real.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
                            I feel sorry for the people who wrote to him.

This attitude is all too common. The idea that depression is just all in your head and you just have to flip a switch to make it go away - both Christians and non-Christians preach it, it's just that Christians tend to add further guilt by making it a spiritual or a God relationship issue.

Reading that website made me want to cry =/
                            True, I've seen non religious people hold the same view. I heard one idiot online say that people who are depressed are depressed because they are failures at life. I nearly broke my screen reading that just as I wanted to punch something reading officer douchebags advice.

And speaking of officer douchebag, I wonder if it's similar extreme theology which is causing people to be depressed (or at least worsening it).

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                              And speaking of officer douchebag, I wonder if it's similar extreme theology which is causing people to be depressed (or at least worsening it).
                              I don't know if it'll lead to it, but worsen it? Most certainly. The last thing you want to hear when you're depressed is that it's all your fault you're depressed, and that you'd better fix it or you're going to burn.

It's people like this that make me not want to go back to church. I'm afraid of my depression being treated either flippantly or like this guy treats it.

Comment

Working...
                              X