Technology Causes Extra Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology Causes Extra Work

One of those classic examples of technology making our lives more difficult...

I'm a Teaching Assistant for a course; there are two other TA's, a part-time 'tech wizard', and the professor. The professor is, to put it charitably, technophobic. It's a miracle that she knows how to use Powerpoint. (Actually, I think she's just one of those people who wants to wake up, and it's 1969 again.) So, of course, last summer she decided that our course would use iClicker. The iClicker is a remote that each student buys at the bookstore, and they can be used for administering quizzes and exams in lectures. The software records each student's answer, compares it to the correct answer (programmed in by the instructor), and compiles it all in a neat little report. Ideally, this can be easily plugged into the course's grade center on Blackboard (the online course management software used by most US universities). The quiz scores were to be added to exam grades, and used as a kind of extra credit.

Of course, it doesn't really work. After last semester's fiasco, I suggested that we switch to paper quizzes given in discussion on Friday. Each TA could make their own. It would take, tops, 30 minutes of work each week to create and grade these. Then we would manually add up quiz scores, which would take all of a minute to set up in Excel. But, no. That would take too much time. She didn't want to give us extra work. (Bull, she doesn't want us writing the questions. She wants to give deliberately confusing trick questions because she hates students.) So, we went with iClicker again this semester. And, surprisingly, it doesn't work.

The 'tech' TA has spent hours this semester, tweaking the iClicker settings and Blackboard's grade center, so that the quiz points are automatically added to the mid-term grade. I spent 2-3 hours e-mailing and meeting with a few students who couldn't get their damn Clickers to even work. We had to re-enter mid-term grades three times because it wasn't adding up correctly. A giant pain in the ass that could have been avoided, but of course the professor doesn't have to deal with this shit, so why should she care?

arrrrrrrggghhhh.

When my semester is up, there will be a *massive* post about the professor I've had to work for this year. She is a stunning example of everything that most people hate about higher education.

(Sorry if any of this is confusing. I have to rush off to a performance, plus I have a splitting migraine.)

The only time I used the clicker was in by general biology class which had 150 people in it. I can understand why they liked it. Saves time and theoretically, it'd be a much more efficient way of figuring out who was participating. It definitely didn't work half the time and the teachers refused to do away with it despite it not working every semester.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

The only good things are that 1) I'm not teaching that next year and 2) Prof has finally decided to abandon it, not because it doesn't work, but because she doesn't like to impose objective questions on art or some bullshit.

Comment

Amazing how many people take how useful something would be if it worked and use that to ignore that it doesn't.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

That's really a fascinating piece of technology. I hope they can get the bugs out of it, I would love to be in a class were I got to take a quiz that way. I would think that it would make quizzes easier to take because instead of seeming like a quiz, it would seem more like a game show. I might take away some test anxiety.

Comment

I think each piece of technology works okay separately. It's when you try to get iClicker to play nice with Blackboard that you have problems.

Comment

Well a calculator can be used to quickly add up (etc) many long numbers very quickly...which does absolutely no good if the calculator is broken. Once had a calculator that insisted that 2+3=9...or in fact any number that should have a 5 in it (at all) had a 9 in it instead. Never did figure that one out. Since it would do 1+5 fine...(etc). Then again it was about 5"x5" and was free with a purchase of a calender..so...

Technology is amazing, when it works. When it doesn't...well..it is not so amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                Well a calculator can be used to quickly add up (etc) many long numbers very quickly...which does absolutely no good if the calculator is broken. Once had a calculator that insisted that 2+3=9...or in fact any number that should have a 5 in it (at all) had a 9 in it instead. Never did figure that one out. Since it would do 1+5 fine...(etc). Then again it was about 5"x5" and was free with a purchase of a calender..so...
                That's a weird one. I could understand it if it also insisted that 1+5=8, but you say it did that fine. If it did both 5->9 and 6->8, my guess would be a defective display/driver that left the top half of the right side of the number always lit.

Comment

It's not the technology causing extra work, it's the idiot insisting on using a less effective method because they don't want to be seen as a Luddite that's causing the extra work.

Comment

Working...
                  X