Shipping woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping woes

I'm the shipping manager for our company (by which, I mean that I actually do all of the shipping, from boxing, to entering the orders on FedEx/UPS/USPS, to dealing with the respective drivers).

Today, I've essentially been asked to be psychic, and come up with the ability to bend space. It started with a simple conversation about ordering more boxes, and especially ordering some double-walled boxes for larger items. The guy who is addressing me about it - let's call him Mick - is one of the company's chief buyers. He buys large lots of items at customs auctions and other sources, brings them back to the company, and others go through the lots to determine what can be sold in which venues, and what's crap. Mick's main area of expertise is optics - microscopes, laser arrays, and other things that use lenses. What he buys tend to be large and heavy.

No problem so far. But now he wants me to go through a long list of box sizes, and pick out the sizes I'll need to ship his items. I don't know what items he plans to buy - he knows that far better than I do, but he wants to push that job onto me.

More than that, though, he's talking about buying a WIDE range of sizes, rather than a smaller selection of utilitarian sizes. He wants to get boxes that more closely fit his things, so that there's less room in packaging. Which involves more logistics in storing and record-keeping, which he's willing to hand-wave away as unimportant (because he won't be the one keeping track of them!).

Moreover, he has an unrealistic idea of what kind of space we're talking about. He wants to order potentially hundreds of boxes (10 each from a wide selection), and store them under a desk in my department. A space that has room for maybe 10-20 double-walled boxes.

And I'm the unreasonable one for objecting to all of this.

Why does he even care, anyway? He buys junk, you box it up and send it out. What does he care how many kinds of boxes you use, as long as the stuff arrives safely?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If he genuinely doesn´t grasp the space issue, sending a photo of the space you do have, might to wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
        If he genuinely doesn´t grasp the space issue, sending a photo of the space you do have, might to wonders.
        Oh, he understands how much space I have. He just doesn't comprehend how much space the boxes he's asking for would take up.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Why does he even care, anyway? He buys junk, you box it up and send it out. What does he care how many kinds of boxes you use, as long as the stuff arrives safely?
          Two reasons. First, he's too involved with his products - they're something he cares about personally, as well as professionally, so he doesn't want to see any of it get damaged (plus, he loses commission on things that have to be refunded).

Second, we HAVE had problems with a few of his items getting damaged. A lot of what he sells are both heavy and fragile (microscopes, etc), and frankly, single-wall boxes are inadequate for the task. Plus, we've had carrier negligence/abuse causing damage, and the carriers refusing to honor their insurance policies.

You remember the video that was floating around a few months back where a FedEx driver tossed a big-screen TV over a wooden fence, and was caught on camera? That happened about 15 miles North of here; our FedEx driver knew the driver who did that. Our company has had similar situations - one where a 50 pound package was rolled up the customer's driveway by the UPS driver who was kicking it along. The customer caught that on his motion-activated security camera, and even with video footage of it, UPS still wanted to insist that it was inadequately packaged. We had to appeal their initial decision (wasting many hours in the process) in order for someone to finally acknowledge that the package was mishandled, and an insurance payment was due.

Comment

As an aside, this stuff might be "junk," but some of it is very valuable "junk."

The guy in question has a habit of turning to someone he's decided is in charge of whatever he wants done and just saying, "Make it happen," with no consideration for the logistics, physical reality, or whether it's even the sort of thing the person in question can even deal with. And then playing the "I'm a manager and you're not" card to get out of having to actually be responsible for the mess that results.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Poor choice of words. I didn't really mean "junk," and should have said "stuff" instead.

Wouldn't a tightly-fitted box with little room for padding be *more* likely to get the contents broken than a larger one stuffed with whatever?
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

You don't want a tightly-fitted box, but if you have one that's over-large, you end up with shifting, which can be worse, since then the weight will be out of balance.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We've always been told to tell customers that if you can't throw it at a brick wall, then it's not packed correctly. I objected to that till I was taking a plane ride from Chicago to LA, I glanced over and got all giggly cause I could watch the guys load the plane. I wish I had a recording camera on my phone then to tape these guys. One of them picked up one of the USPS triangle shapped boxes and began to hit the packages up to the hold. The guys down their laughing and having a grand ol time. Cause it wouldn't be them getting into trouble for damaged materials it would be us carriers.

I just wish the Stewerdess had believed me and stopped the handlers from doing that.

Comment

Sure, and I have no problem with the general idea of having double-walled boxes for additional protection. We even established that, in some cases, the double-walled boxes were cheaper than comparable single-walled boxes (because they're all Seconds that the box manufacturer wants to get rid of).

The objections are:

1.) He wants me to do all of the work of ordering and handling the boxes, without giving me any input on the sizes of the things he expects to be shipping, or additional space in which to store them, and

2.) He expects me to just simply make room for an arbitrary number of boxes in an already-crowded shipping bay. We're talking potentially dozens of different sizes of box, 10 each. He suggested that I shove them under a desk. After measuring the thickness of one of the double-walled boxes I have handy already (~1 cm per side, or ~1 inch per box), and measuring the desk he wants me to stash them under (~33 inch clearance, with a ~2 inch footrest rod at shin height), I figure I can fit about 30 boxes there if EVERYTHING else that is currently there is moved somewhere else. That's a far cry from what he's talking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X