EBay Listings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBay Listings

Some here are experts on this sort of thing, so it seems like a good place to ask.

I've been looking at computers lately on eBay, including especially "parts or repair" Mac notebooks. (Let's leave the why out of this, please.) But this almost certainly goes for other items as well. I understand saying "I don't know anything about these, but it won't turn on." I understand "X parts are missing and without them I cannot test further." But why do people who *do* know what, specifically, is wrong with a particular machine so often not disclose it?

For example, one I was looking at yesterday, the seller said they'd tested the computer thoroughly, then gave no more description of its problems than "broken." OK... but surely someone looking to buy one for parts would care which parts are no good? Surely knowing that, even if it's something serious, would get more bids from people who want the other parts and now know they're available?

In this case, since the seller said they'd tested it, I asked for more information. Turns out all that made it "broken" was that the battery was missing and the hard drive was bad. Now, for my purposes, it would be a stationary machine anyway, so the battery didn't matter (and if it did, they're readily available.) And much the same with the hard drive: many sold as working don't include them for security reasons, and if it had had one I'd have wiped it anyway, probably after putting in a larger one. So, had that information been included in the listing, I'd have bid more than it wound up selling for... meaning, whether I won or not, they'd have made more money. But by the time they answered, the auction was over anyway, and I suspect many people wouldn't even have asked.

In a similar manner, someone whose computer is fine except for a cracked screen would be happy to get one of the same type with a liquid-damaged logic board, and so forth. So... unless you've already broken or stripped *everything* worth having and are hoping an idiot comes along, why not tell what you know?

(As secondary questions, why do people who put up self-contradictory listings like "G5 Core 2 Duo" (G5 being a PowerPC model, and C2D an Intel) often seem so annoyed at being asked which is correct? And what the **** do people mean when they say it's in excellent cosmetic condition, then go on to say it's got dented corners, missing keys, and the display is taped in place? And why does eBay penalize people with a 0% rating just for not having bought anything recently?)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

They don't give specifics because they want to lure in someone who doesn't pay attention into bidding on their auction. It's completely backwards, but a good percentage of both sellers and buyers are stupid.

Also, if you include detail and you miss something, you can be on the hook for not disclosing it, even if you didn't know about it. While if you just say "broken," with no further detail, it doesn't really matter to what degree, as broken covers everything from "it needs X replaced," to "it was run over by a steamroller."

But, mostly, it's 'cause they're stupid.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

if you include detail and you miss something, you can be on the hook for not disclosing it, even if you didn't know about it.
      I'd thought of that... but so many other sellers who do give details also put "AS IS," "no returns," etc all over the page, and I believe that's supposed to apply to anything listed as "parts or repair" anyway. And this particular seller would have gotten at least another $50, and probably more than 100, which I'd think, surely, would over time offset the occasional combination of "I missed something" and "buyer doesn't admit to knowing what 'as is' means."

But then, I've never tried *selling* anything. (I promise, though, if I ever do then I won't insist that a listing claiming a single computer to be of two contrary processor families is accurate!)
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

You can put a lot of things, but just because they're there, doesn't mean you can enforce or be protected by what they say.

The company I work for has an eBay team, and they go to a lot of trouble to be very precise about the condition of the items being sold, and we still get hit with bs claims for items we've actually described as being broken actually not working. >_<

Plus, that "no refunds" thing is completely and utterly meaningless: All it takes is a claim and proof of mailing (something... doesn't even have to be the item, though expect to be reported for mail fraud if it isn't) for a buyer to get the funds back from PayPal.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That stinks... but still, you'd have to run into a lot of crooks to make it worth losing 20% or more per item... especially if even just saying it's broken and leaving it at that isn't a satisfactory defense anyway. Of course, there's hassle involved too... but again, if they can return it no matter what you say, there shouldn't be any harm in saying it.

I know you've posted about this before, but do you have any idea *why* Paypal refunds the way they do, regardless of the terms of the sale?

(edit: actually, I can guess that it would have to do with claims of wrong item shipped. Impossible to prove either way, and there has to be *some* default answer. And, after all, no rational usage of "no returns" would let you off for, say, listing a computer but shipping a hubcap.)
          Last edited by HYHYBT; 04-12-2012, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X