My sister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sister

So my sister is 3 years younger than me.

And is also mentally sane.

Because of it, she feels that she can boss me around and make "suggestions". Usually they are things like "I think you should do...." and then the suggestions are INSANELY stupid. I'll take her advice on occasion, but if I bring something up as a general rant, she CONTINUES to give me advice. Just LISTEN to my rant once in a while, that's all I ask!

It's also her tone of voice. Like she's automatically more superior. Her suggestions are always given in a condescending tone. Like I'm incapable of doing anything because of my mental illness. And do you want to know what's ironic? She's actually studying to become a special education teacher. I really do have to wonder if that's her attitude towards the special needs kids.

I am honestly dreading the psychiatrist appointment I have in a few months time. Because whatever label I get, she will hear about it and then she will continue to treat me like she's superior and I'm the one below her. -.- (after noticing my lack of concentration/focus, my short-term memory lapses and my agitation during counselling sessions, we're arranging for me to have a psychiatrist appointment)

She either needs to see me as her equal, or move out.

Sanity can be a subjective term, and even if one is sane..that is boring. However, mental illness is not one of those things people can see..and as we all know people have a hard time with things that they can not see. Even in todays day and age, mental illness can be seen as 'not real'. Why? I have no clue.

Some think people are 'just lazy', or 'seeking attention'. Others think that people should just be able to 'suck it up'. Some just don't understand it, and think that people with these illnesses are 'slow' and need to be given directions and treated like children.

Unfortunately all I can do is offer hugs, cookies, and an ear if you need it. I hope your sister will eventually come to see just because somebody has a mental illness..doesn't mean they are any of the above.

Comment

Believe it or not, someone can be good at something and still suck when it comes to interacting with family. A coworker's husband is a nurse and I've seen him in action. He's calm, caring and professional. Yet when coworker is sick he's....pretty unsympathetic. I don't know whether it's job burnout or because of the close relationship he has with his wife, but it's a pretty big change.

You have my sympathies, it's rough dealing with a know-it-all and condescending family member.

Comment

Working...
      X