Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
    I think I already covered that

losing things important to me, some of it irreplaceable, having all the food in the house eaten by my roommate's friends, and attempted rape are not worth it in my book.
    I've rented rooms (rather than full apartments) a few times, and there's a few good guidelines that you can follow:

1.) Ask if your room will be lockable, and whether you'll be the only one with the key. If not, ask why not. You deserve privacy and security as well as the next person. This one alone will eliminate most of the problems listed above. If the person renting the space takes offense at the idea of you wanting to secure the room (or blows it off as unimportant), move on and write that potential landlord off.

2.) Ask for personal shelves in the community fridge - where your stuff goes, and nobody else's. Many times in communal arrangements, people eating other people's stuff happens because it's not clear who owns certain food items. At one house I lived in, each of the roomers had their own fridge (the owners of the house rented out each of the five bedrooms), and it was an ejection offense to take anything from others' fridges. In a worst-case scenario, you CAN bolt a ring-and-padlock setup on the outside of a mini-fridge. Or just get a mini-fridge in your own room, secured by #1.

3.) Get the rules for community spaces set down in writing, and stick to them. If there's another renting roommate causing problems, you want to make sure that the owners don't have any reason to look at you over it.

Renting a room can be a great way to save money, even if you're rooming with total strangers. And if there isn't any suckiness going on, you can end up with some new friends, to boot. =^_^=

Comment

I agree, Nekojin. There are ways to make shared living spaces safer and more comfortable for everyone involved.

You're not the only one in your situation, BK. You'll be able to find others looking for shared acommodation in your city. Most of them are probably good people down on their luck, just like you.

At the very least, it's clear that taking another chance with new roommates is safer than living on the streets, which from the sound of it is your only other option.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
        I agree, Nekojin. There are ways to make shared living spaces safer and more comfortable for everyone involved.
        After looking over my list again, I guess it boils down to clearly defining boundaries, and having a way to enforce them for yourself (and not simply relying on the landlord). People who don't respect your boundaries aren't likely to respect you in other ways.

Comment

I feel for you, this is not an easy situation to be in. I am curious though why you wouldn't be entitled to alimony, even if it has been less than 10 years? Seriously? What do they expect women to do in these situations, just live on the streets? It's not fair you should fight for some of that money. If people can do palimony surely you can get some alimony out of this deal.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Are there any CSers out in your neck of the woods? Maybe one of them has a couch or knows someone who has a couch you could crash on. I'd offer mine, but if I remember correctly, you live in Wisconsin. Texas might be a wee bit of a commute.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              You're not the only one in your situation, BK. You'll be able to find others looking for shared acommodation in your city. Most of them are probably good people down on their luck, just like you.
              checking the "roommates wanted" on CL(I can't afford what the "roommate matching companies charge) gives results like:
              One large private bedroom currently available to share in house with other grad students, young professionals, and visiting scholars. Non-cigarette smokers, no pets.

and

Looking for a fellow female grad student.

or the ones that want to dictate your political views:
              Pro-choice, pro-union, pro-equality M seeking similar M/F gay/straight/trans roomie.

some even want to dictate your entire personal life:
              no smokers, no drinkers, must be home on weekends because I like to hang out with my roommates.

I have sent emails to around 30 different ads, all of them have rejected me out of hand due to my age, non-student status, or my cats, or the fact that I smoke....OUTSIDE.

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
              I feel for you, this is not an easy situation to be in. I am curious though why you wouldn't be entitled to alimony, even if it has been less than 10 years? Seriously? What do they expect women to do in these situations, just live on the streets? It's not fair you should fight for some of that money. If people can do palimony surely you can get some alimony out of this deal.
              1, I can't afford a lawyer, he can.
              2, that's how the laws in this state are
              3, 85% of the population of this town has a degree(or family and friends, or a car and can move to an outlying community where rent is cheaper, move 10 miles and I can get a two bedroom HOUSE for $600/month).
              4, in order for me to get ANYTHING from him, I have to prove we had a verbal agreement for him to pay for my schooling once he was done and his car was paid off, which is fundamentally impossible to prove.
              Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 05-20-2012, 10:05 PM.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
              X