Retired people taking jobs from people who could use them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ree View Post
    It just irks me that I see so many of these jobs filled by older retired people who just want to get out of the house.
    Why don't they go volunteer or something?
    {sarcasm on}
    They should quit hiring black people too, what with all those white people needing jobs....
    {sarcasm off}

People are people, you don't get to throw away an entire class of people just because you think someone else is more deserving.

As a customer I want to go to the hardware store where the retired guys work. I don't care if they can lift eleven pounds, I care if they know what size breaker I need for that air conditioner and what size wire I should use to avoid a voltage drop on a 100' run
    Last edited by Imprl59; 05-13-2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I have no issue with retired people working, but if they are unable to perform tasks for which they are specifically hired, then there is a problem. If their application says "must be able to lift 20 pounds" and they can't, or refuse to, they should not keep their job (but this goes for anyone, not just retired people).

Maybe the store is reluctant to hire people who want full-time because they know that if they hire one of these people part-time, they will jump ship as soon as a full-time position comes along somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Imprl59 View Post
        As a customer I want to go to the hardware store where the retired guys work. I don't care if they can lift eleven pounds, I care if they know what size breaker I need for that air conditioner and what size wire I should use to avoid a voltage drop on a 100' run
        This presumes that the young people don't know these things. I run into this at my job all the time and I hate it. I'm under 25, I'm a woman and yep, I'm the assistant manager of the TV department. Day in and day out, people take me less seriously than my employees because I'm younger than they are. I work hard to keep on top of the product knowledge needed to run a technical department, and I do a damn good job. But because I don't have wrinkles, people think I obviously can't know what I'm talking about.

I say give the jobs to the people able to do them properly, no matter what age they are. If they're not able to do the job, young or old, they should be replaced. Period.

Comment

People are people, you don't get to throw away an entire class of people just because you think someone else is more deserving.
          Not sure about your world but in mine need trumps want, and collecting two paychecks while not actually doing anything to earn it while others are homeless and starving because of the selfishness of the wants vs. need crowd, yeah most people would be a bit ticked, especially as some of the people being kept out of a job by someone who doesn't actually want to work, and just needs a hobby, are being supported by tax dollars....I tend to get a bit stabby.

and you don't know that the retired person didn't work as a paperpusher for 40 years and knows nothing proper about electrical wiring, while the 20 something kid in school for electrician's training does. Age discrimination is not pretty. And I know quite a few older retired people that will tell you how they did something 20 years and 15 changes to the housing electrical code ago, or just out and out make something up rather than "lose face", but because they're older "they must be knowledgeable", which is total BS. Hell I know a retired mechanic that tried telling a friend of mine he needed to "check his ignition coil, and adjust his carb floats" when his 1997 geo was running rough, cars haven't had either of those since the 1970's.
          Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 05-13-2012, 10:46 PM.
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

{sarcasm on}
            They should quit hiring black people too, what with all those white people needing jobs....
            {sarcasm off}

I think if you go back and actually read what she wrote, you'll see that it has nothing to do with ageism, or anything you're trying to imply.

She's simply stating that its frustrating that people who want and need the job (not as second income) and are more physically capable of doing the job are passed up for the retirees.

If the retirees can do the job like anyone else, more power to them!!

If anything, *your* post reeks of ageism in reverse, making the assumption that younger people don't know what they're doing and that only the older ones understand your wants and needs.

Comment

{sarcasm on}
              {sarcasm off}
              Give me a break!!!
              Are you seriously comparing my irritation with retired people who have a fantastic pension and no overhead but take a job that could go to an unemployed person with no other income, to discriminating against someone because of skin colour?
              Seriously?
              You really want to go there?
              Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I can see where the frustration comes from, but it's not the old people that are the problem.

This is like being mad about being sick and blaming the runny nose; it's a symptom and an unhealthy attitude.

The problem is the company doing the hiring. What is it that makes them prefer older people who are likely to miss more days, have health issues, be less able to do the jobs necessary, and more likely to quit?

Although, if it can be proven there is a clear history of age discrimination (especially considering that this is a hardware store and, thus, requires a certain amount of physical capability), it might be an issue to take to the local labor board, especially for those who really do need the work when it was given to someone who demonstrably cannot do a part of the job.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  I can see where the frustration comes from, but it's not the old people that are the problem.

This is like being mad about being sick and blaming the runny nose; it's a symptom and an unhealthy attitude.
                  Well, they wouldn't be hiring all these retired "hobby" workers if they didn't apply for the jobs in the first place.

If their only choice is people who actually do need the job, then hiring these frail old retirees wouldn't even be an issue.
                  Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                    Not sure about your world but in mine need trumps want, and collecting two paychecks while not actually doing anything to earn it while others are homeless and starving because of the selfishness of the wants vs. need crowd, yeah most people would be a bit ticked, especially as some of the people being kept out of a job by someone who doesn't actually want to work, and just needs a hobby, are being supported by tax dollars....I tend to get a bit stabby.

Really? Because it looks to me like you are posting this from a computer using an internet service and I'm sure we can find someone in your town who doesn't have electricity right now. So lets cut your hours since you obviously have more than you need and we can give that work to them, after all they are more deserving.

Comment

So, what, are retired people supposed to stay in their retirement homes wasting away to keep from offending people's sensibilities?

Just because they're financial needs are met does not equate to all of their needs being met.

I thought it was pretty much commonly accepted at this point that old people need a purpose just as much as young people. For some, that job can make a massive difference to their overall quality of life.

Seriously, if you keep focusing on the old people (the symptom) instead of the hiring personnel (the actual source of the problem), it's only going to reinforce the impression that you have a problem with old people.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Give me a break!!!
                        Are you seriously comparing my irritation with retired people who have a fantastic pension and no overhead but take a job that could go to an unemployed person with no other income, to discriminating against someone because of skin colour?
                        Seriously?
                        You really want to go there?
                        Yes, I really want to go there.
                        And while we're at it we have to let you go 'cause it looks like you could stand to loose ten pounds and it looks like Julie is starving to death. She must need the hours more than you, you go on back home with grandma and eat your cat food now.

Comment

Really? Because it looks to me like you are posting this from a computer using an internet service and I'm sure we can find someone in your town who doesn't have electricity right now. So lets cut your hours since you obviously have more than you need and we can give that work to them, after all they are more deserving.
                          Yes, I really want to go there.
                          And while we're at it we have to let you go 'cause it looks like you could stand to loose ten pounds and it looks like Julie is starving to death. She must need the hours more than you, you go on back home with grandma and eat your cat food now.
                          I guess, if you can't find a valid argument to back up a disagreement with the ACTUAL point being made, the only recourse is skew what has been said.

You are jumping to all these incorrect conclusions that we are making a decision on who is deserving of a job and discriminating against certain age groups.

I think it's very clear that we are talking about people who already have a full source of income and are only working to have something to do or get some extra cash versus someone who is just trying to make ends meet, or has no choice but to go on assistance or hit the streets.

How can you equate that with "more deserving" in the contexts that you have used it?

Nobody is saying anyone is "more deserving".
                          In fact, I think you are the only one who has actually used that phrase in an attempt to discredit anyone who has an issue with jobs going to retired people on pensions who want to earn extra cash instead of going to those of actual working age who need the income.
                          Point to Ponder:

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                            I think if you go back and actually read what she wrote, you'll see that it has nothing to do with ageism, or anything you're trying to imply.

I went back and read it again. You thought wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              So, what, are retired people supposed to stay in their retirement homes wasting away to keep from offending people's sensibilities?

Just because they're financial needs are met does not equate to all of their needs being met.
                              Then go volunteer.

There are lots of places that can use the skills these people have developed over the years, and they wouldn't be taking away a job from someone who needs the job for more than personal fulfilment to ease loneliness and keep from being bored or feeling useless to society.

I realize, when my time comes, there is a very real possibility that I will be forced to continue in the workplace because I simply can't afford to retire.
                              Somebody will probably be making the same snap judgment about me.

I have very clearly stated that I do not feel all elderly and retired people should be put to pasture.
                              I have also very clearly stated that I am perfectly aware that not all retired people are rich and flush with cash.

I am talking about the people who know they are only taking the job for something to do and get some EXTRA cash.

Obviously, I don't go around asking to see their bank statements, so, yeah, maybe I am jumping to the conclusion that some of these people really don't need the job.

I do know, however, that there are some who do know what their finances are like, and they know they don't actually "need" the money. They are the ones that irritate me when they take that job.
                              Point to Ponder:

Comment

I do know, however, that there are some who do know what their finances are like, and they know they don't actually "need" the money. They are the ones that irritate me when they take that job.
                                There are probably just as many kids with jobs in the same situation, though.

I've known more than a few "trust fund kids" that have taken jobs just to have something to do to get out of the house

As for the whole "go volunteer" thing, there's a massive difference between having a job and being a volunteer. Having a job gives a large degree of structure to a person's schedule. Volunteering generally does not provide that type of structure, which is often what the person who doesn't need the money part of it is looking for.

After all, if they just needed something to do with their time, they'd just take up a hobby (which, in some ways, is what volunteering is).

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                                X