Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government, and anything associated with it, is evil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government, and anything associated with it, is evil!

Somebody in a group I'm in on Facebook posted a screenshot of their computer.

One of the people responded 'lolchrome.'

The first guy responded that there was nothing wrong with using Chrome.

The second guy said that, no there was, you don't know it yet. When pressed on it, he said "I just don't trust anything made by a government-approved search engine megacorp."

This... I was... What?

I asked him what made it so Government-approved, and his answer was that

1) Google is often called to testify as experts in Congress on things related to the internet and

2) Chrome is used on Government computers.

This...

I...

WHA?

I'm sorry, I don't get it. The fact that people in the Government use it make it evil, because they're the government, and the government is evil.

My dad's a mid-level Government bureaucrat. He uses forks.

Forks are evil too?
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
    One of the people responded 'lolchrome.'

The first guy responded that there was nothing wrong with using Chrome.

The second guy said that, no there was, you don't know it yet. When pressed on it, he said "I just don't trust anything made by a government-approved search engine megacorp."
    I use chrome because it's the only damn way to keep from being reinfected by the dastardly "google redirect" virus, I got that thing like 4 or 5 times, while running anti malware and anti virus programs, plus I have both a hardware and software firewall, and only go to maybe 15 websites. I hate that virus with a passion.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I only use Chrome. I would rather be able to use the internet and not be bombarded with pop-ups. And to top it off, it is faster than the others that I have tried.

Comment

If you're going to insist on only software that the government doesn't use... well, the government is BIG. And divided. There's no way anybody, inside or outside of it, knows every piece of software it uses. So the only way to be certain is to write everything you use yourself.... including the OS. Good luck.

(I still like Safari, myself. I tried Chrome for a week, but the one thing that sticks out about it is that there's no title bar on the windows. I hate that.)
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Similar to the "All government is evil" rant is the, "All lawyers are evil" rant. Since my mother was a Family Law attorney for over a decade (now retired, and working as a Sheriff's Station clerk, so it ties into the OP topic!), so I'd occasionally have to deal with that canard.

Most attorneys are honest, hard-working people, just like everyone else. There are some, particularly some types of Personal Injury attorneys, that give the entire profession a bad name. I've also encountered one person who thinks that all divorce attorneys are scum, because he got railroaded in his divorce (according to him - somehow, I don't think he's telling the whole story).

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
            Similar to the "All government is evil" rant is the, "All lawyers are evil" rant. Since my mother was a Family Law attorney for over a decade (now retired, and working as a Sheriff's Station clerk, so it ties into the OP topic!), so I'd occasionally have to deal with that canard.

Most attorneys are honest, hard-working people, just like everyone else. There are some, particularly some types of Personal Injury attorneys, that give the entire profession a bad name. I've also encountered one person who thinks that all divorce attorneys are scum, because he got railroaded in his divorce (according to him - somehow, I don't think he's telling the whole story).
            It makes for a good joke sometimes (All my uncles are lawyers, as was my grandfather) but it's annoying when it's taken seriously.

Just like I don't mind a joke about obstructive, stupid government bureaucrats (even though my father IS a government bureaucrat) as long as they aren't, well, seriously "THE GOVERNMENT IS EVIL" like this guy was.

His logic seems to be circular. The Government is evil because it's the Government and Governments are inherently evil (except possibly when they're Communist)

Comment

The Government, at least the US's does NOT use chrome at all.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                1) Google is often called to testify as experts in Congress on things related to the internet
                Which just means that Congress recognizes them as experts. If we stopped using everything that Congress said was good at what they do, we'd all be driving exploding Pintos or something.
                "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                We are contented, because he says we are
                He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  The Government, at least the US's does NOT use chrome at all.
                  You know, beyond all possible doubt, that NO branch, department, level, etc of the government uses Chrome in any capacity whatsoever?

That's amazing.

As for lawyers, I really like Snopes's explanation for why people think of them as low. Basically, most people interact with lawyers in their professional capacity only when things go wrong. It's a life-changing event to you, but another day at work for them, and then you get a huge bill for what *looks* like practically no work, often at a time you're already in financial trouble.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I've only spent the past five years of my life working for the DoD. So unless things have changed in the past couple months, then chrome isn't allowed for work use.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

You know that chrome isn't allowed for work use at the DoD.

The government is larger than just the DoD.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        I've only spent the past five years of my life working for the DoD. So unless things have changed in the past couple months, then chrome isn't allowed for work use.
                        See, that's the funny thing about this thread; it's about current events regarding Chrome's use in the government (specifically the State Department) which is what set off the paranoid friend.

Article at Ars Technica

Plus, as Dandy said, the DoD =/= The Government.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Good, I'm glad they are changing. IE sucks balls.

Comment

If that could be done in software, it might.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              If that could be done in software, it might.
                              BRB switching to IE.

Comment

Working...
                              X