Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Story Tellers! or get to the point already.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Story Tellers! or get to the point already.

If you want to tell me something.. tell me.

I do not want, nor require the back story of every person who is even marginally involved in the event. I do not need the road conditions, weather forecast, child updates, school updates, prison records, or any of another million minuscule details that really have nothing to do with what you are actually trying to tell me.

Why take 20 minutes to tell me something you could tell me in less than 30 seconds? I do not understand this.

If I require more details, I will ask. But please limit your response so that you are only answering the question I ask.

Just wondering if Im the only one this bothers?

Bonus points if Im trying to go to work when you accost me.

I only do this when we are all bored and want to hear an "epic" story. Otherwise, it is annoying as hell.

Comment

Sometimes you can tell how full of shit someone is the more details they provide.

"What happened?"

"I crashed." Sounds more credible than "Well see I was coming back from the Circle K, cuz I needed cigarettes. They were out, but I got another brand. I also bought a coke. Then I got back in the car, took a left turn, and was heading down Broker Street and thinking about how good my soda was.....".

Comment

The opposite is at least as irritating: someone who insists that you only answer questions they ask when what they're NOT asking about matters.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

You will love me. I get to the point, right then.

Comment

Ah, I see you've met my Dad.

"Oh man, the other day . . . or, or maybe it was last week, no? Two weeks ago. Yeah, two weeks ago and I was driving through Oregon, it was about evening time, yeah! Because I was just thinking about stopping for dinner, and there was a car passing me in the other lane . . ."

And it'll turn out to be he saw an interesting animal (dead or alive) on the side of the road, or a funny license plate or something equally asinine. It's maddening.
            A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

"Well, you see...as I was telling Suzy, you know Suzy right? The one who's baby's daddy is in prison? He got caught selling Meth, by Michael. Michael is the deputy of Barrracka County. Anyhow, I was telling Suzy that Beth said..oh yeah..Beth is my second niece on my mother side..."

Yeah..those stink..give me enough detail that matters, and no more please.

Comment

I think I probably do something like this, just maybe not to quite the same extreme But then, I'm an absolutely horrid storyteller. I realize this about myself. I try not to tell stories.

Comment

I may be slightly guilty of this too.
                  LOL

I know it's annoying because it bugs me when other people do it, but I guess it's just a bad habit I've gotten into over the years.
                  Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I can be guilty of it, if the person seems even halfway into what I'm saying, I may elaborate.

But what drives me NUTs....is like this instance two Friday mornings ago at my place here:

M= Me, N= Neighbor

M= Hey, just wanted to ask you, if you still were borrowing my storage unit, if you could empty it out by the end of the month? That's when I have to be out of here to move.
                    N= Oh, that's no problem at all...gee, I....well, there's three bikes in there...and....I'm not sure if....
                    M= Totally alright, you got time. Just wanted to give you a head's up! (I need to get going here to get my laundry done!)
                    N= Well, it's just that....my son in law is in jail and those bikes belong to his daughters and I really.....I don't know what else to do right now....no one else visits him in jail and.....
                    M= That sucks.....but yeah, just as long as it's all out by the end of the month...
                    N= Ya know when no one else cares but you, and no one else puts any effort into something, and doesn't...
                    M= I really gotta go!

Comment

I know I'm guilty of long backgrounds sometimes. I'm sorry. I'll try to use more bold brackets so you can skip over if you want. (and use warnings too)

Although I personally love reading long letters, but I understand not everyone's in to that.

Comment

I will take a moment to explain a detail that afterwords might have you going, "Finally you got to the point" but if I hadn't given you background on it you would have been asking about it and confused about the point of the story.

Like if I made a crack about my best friend hitting me for a bad joke. Usually if that is all I said I get, "Wait what?"
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

Can you do me a favour and send this to the writers of how I met your mother?

Comment

This also annoys me on threads at CS.

Not so much the story telling in parts (I get the need for that), but the fan girls/boys who feel the need to come in after every post and whine for the next one.

Comment

I also hate nonsensical rambling mixed into a long, boring and stupid story. Ugh! My m-i-l is constantly guilty of that and it's very annoying. Today's example: Explaining her morning in excruciating detail and then suddenly getting to the point with "I always look out for buses! Know what I mean? Sometimes" <insert long pause here> "And, literally, sorta thing. He was on my right* and he was being slow, he shoulda seen me and literally like just let me onto the roundabout. I had to stop!! Else I'da run into him and he shouldn't have been there. Know what I mean? Kinda thing? Is why I always... sometimes... literally hafta watch out for them buses."

(*The bus had right-of-way, she's a shocking driver and a huge EW as well)

Comment

Working...
                              X