People who try to micromanage other's posting habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who try to micromanage other's posting habits

This is something... I pretty much hate.

I have mentioned this off and on but I have ADD. I was tested a few years ago and my suspicions were proven right.

This has good and bad points.

I don't really remember usernames well. It takes prolonged exposure - or really good/bad behavior to make me remember you and remember WHY I remember you.

The benefit of that? I can't hold grudges. Seriously, it's too hard to remember who to like or dislike etc. So I don't bother even trying. Some may not like this approach but fuck it... For the most part, everyone gets a clean slate with me at each new thread. So enjoy.

Of course there's also downsides to this. I'll be the first one here to admit, I don't read every single little word on every thread I post to. I also don't read every post either. Some dislike it. To them I say, go micromanage someone else. Cos the last thing I need is someone dictating to me how I should post.

I have LIMITS in attention span. It really DOES cost me energy to remember every little thing I need to do daily. I have to use notes and reminders for even simple things. Hell sometimes it's just an effort to remember to even VISIT some sites. there's some i really should visit more that i keep forgetting about. maybe i should make a list of them for favorites but... again, it's not a priority in my life.

So why the fuck should I spend that precious energy worrying about HOW I read stuff online? Who the fuck make ANY of them the lord and master over my habits. Where did they get the right - or even the wisdom - to decide what should and shouldn't be important for me to focus on. Cos really, online discussions are fun... but are NOT the focus of my life. So they do not rank as high as some others seem to think they should. Micromanage someone else.

*ah*
    and actually yes I do feel better now.

Back to resetting everything and cleaning off people's slates. Seriously, fucking enjoy that part. Piss me off and I'll forget bout it after a while. It may take a bit longer if you really act like a bitch or cockwallet, but it'll still happen.

Last edited by PepperElf; 05-16-2012, 05:02 AM.

I'm definitely with you on the name thing. I'll often *recognize* names (or avatars, or both, but not likely which goes with which) but couldn't keep track of who's said what reliably to save my life. And especially on a site like this, it usually doesn't matter anyway.

But I have to admit, it's hard to hold anything like a coherent debate when people skip over parts of the thread. Particularly if what they skipped over was information showing them to be wrong or a counterargument they ought to answer, and they just keep on going as if nobody ever said that. I don't recall anyone in particular doing that here, but on some sites... of course, the examples that come to mind quickest were deliberate.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

ya but when threads blow up by lots of pages/posts keeping track of any debate is pretty much fucked anyway.

this site isn't as bad as one of my others - i've seen threads go up to 50+ in a weekend there - but if it's over a lot of pages by the time i get to it... i may not have any interest in reading through all of that.

it's not suppose to feel like work. cos if it does... i should be getting paid for it

Comment

I detest micromanagers anyway.

The most irritating micromanaging I'm having to deal with right now is a few twats who fuss over the tiniest details in a story and keep making demands of what people can and can't write. For a shared universe. Where the 'rules' of the universe are ripe for the smooshing for drama's sake. Oh and they only micromanage those authors who aren't part of the free-for-all inner circle (usually their boy/girlfriends). I can understand some debating to make ideas work better and I like doing that but when they demand I do this, or announce I can't do that because they said so, well I told one of them to shut up loudly in public, and online I called them out on it a while ago saying they had better start paying me a living wage before I would ever listen to them as one would an editor.

[/rant]

*phew*

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
          I'll be the first one here to admit, I don't read every single little word on every thread I post to. I also don't read every post either. Some dislike it. To them I say, go micromanage someone else. Cos the last thing I need is someone dictating to me how I should post.
          I know what you mean. I don't read every line of every post either. Sometimes I just skim things, looking for really interesting or controversial quips.

Of course, if I respond to those quips and end up making an argument that's missed the context, missed the point, or has been long-resolved, then its everyone's right to tell me I'm wrong. It's not nitpicking, it's debating.

But I do understand why reading entire threads thoroughly and completely isn't always fun. The shittiest part of being a mod here is when I get a report that someone's being a dick in one of those mega-threads (usually about atheism). When I evaluate the post, I realize that I need to get its context, which requires I read all 50 pages of the back-and-forth bickering and same-old arguments. It's hard to keep myself awake.

Comment

I've never been diagnosed with ADD, but sometimes swear I must have it because my mind does tend to wander. I often have several streams of thought rolling through my head at any given time, and I've always been that way.

As a child, I was always in trouble with teachers for daydreaming in class. Now, as an adult, I often find myself letting my mind wander at work to alleviate the boredom and stress of my job. In general, this trait is strongest when I'm doing things because I have to do them, like being at work or when doing chores at home. Let's just say, it's a safe bet that I'm definitely not there in spirit.

On the other hand, I become extremely focused when I'm doing things that interest me. When I'm doing things I like doing, I practically get lost in my own world.

As for micromanaging the posting habits of others, I don't understand people who want to nitpick everything. I'm too busy living in my own world to bother with watching what everyone else does.

Comment

I've never been diagnosed with ADD, but sometimes swear I must have it because my mind does tend to wander. I often have several streams of thought rolling through my head at any given time, and I've always been that way.
              http://totallyadd.com/
              They have a free test there, although of course it won't take the place of an official diag. and it's designed for an ADD/ADHD attention span

Comment

I'm certain I don't have ADD by the clinical definition. I've long since discussed it with my doctor. I did check it out for my own amusement, though. My wandering mind is just a coping mechanism for dealing with anxiety and stress.

I have been diagnosed with general anxiety and depression, and some of those traits are a manifestation of that. I have also been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and those traits are symptoms of that condition as well. I pretty much know the source of my issues because I've been dealing with it for a long time.

Comment

although ... the extreme focus you mention ... I have that too. It's a side effect that ADD shares.

Much to the frustration of my boyfriend. I've gotten better but at times, if I'm reading a story online for example, I may get in *deep* into hyper-focus. Or when I'm coding. When I'm there it takes a LOT to get my attention. I may even answer back without really listening.

It's not that I'm really trying to ignore someone it's just that there's a threshold that has to be breached first in order to pull my head out from the deep attention trance.

Comment

Originally posted by aurelemsrealm View Post
                    I'm certain I don't have ADD by the clinical definition. I've long since discussed it with my doctor. I did check it out for my own amusement, though. My wandering mind is just a coping mechanism for dealing with anxiety and stress.

I have been diagnosed with general anxiety and depression, and some of those traits are a manifestation of that. I have also been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and those traits are symptoms of that condition as well. I pretty much know the source of my issues because I've been dealing with it for a long time.
                    Are you me? I have all the exact same issues you do and do have a bad habit of daydreaming and foregetting where I am, and also get extremely focused on some thing to the point of not hearing anything around me.

How do you like sleeping with the cpap getup? I've been doing it for five years already.

Sorry for the threadjack this just caught my attention I have a good friend who has ADD really bad and she's a challenge to work with for sure.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                      although ... the extreme focus you mention ... I have that too. It's a side effect that ADD shares.
                      I'll be the first to admit that I am selectively attentive, if you see what I mean. It helps me keep my sanity, especially when dealing with certain people I know.

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                      How do you like sleeping with the cpap getup?
                      It did take some time to get used to using the CPAP. I don't use it as often as I should, though. I have a habit of falling asleep in the recliner before I make it to bed because I am a night owl by nature. Also, I have a toddler who likes to sleep with Mommy and Daddy, and the bed is sometimes too crowded to be comfortable. In general, I have unusual sleep patterns, so I sometimes don't get hooked to the CPAP before I fall asleep for the night. I'm working on changing that because I can tell a difference when I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by aurelemsrealm View Post
                        As a child, I was always in trouble with teachers for daydreaming in class. Now, as an adult, I often find myself letting my mind wander at work to alleviate the boredom and stress of my job. In general, this trait is strongest when I'm doing things because I have to do them, like being at work or when doing chores at home. Let's just say, it's a safe bet that I'm definitely not there in spirit.
                        Are you sure we're not related? I too was constantly taking flak from teachers for either falling asleep in class or having my head in the clouds. It's not my fault I'm more interested in sports cars or machines than Romeo & Juliet. Not my fault that Shakespeare was so Zzzzzzzz

On the other hand, I become extremely focused when I'm doing things that interest me. When I'm doing things I like doing, I practically get lost in my own world.
                        I tend to do that too. If I'm working on some important (actually important, not "Important" as per the boss) I can easily get lost in it. I tend to tune out most of the outside world. And yes, I do occasionally get into trouble for it, since I'm "ignoring" the boss. Never mind that I can't even hear him, because he mumbles!

Outside of work, I can easily get lost in my own world in my workshop, or even at the hobby shop. Too many ideas swimming around in my head. You name it, I've probably thought of it, and probably have a page or two of diagrams and various notes. Turning a Ford Sierra two-door (by Tamiya) into a Merkur XR4Ti? It's on the workbench now. What about a '58 Chrysler 300D from a '57 300C? It's in primer. Stuffing a Chevy V8 into a BMW 5-series? Drawings made, kits acquired, body shell marked up with Sharpies, project hidden away for later.

As for micromanaging the posting habits of others, I don't understand people who want to nitpick everything. I'm too busy living in my own world to bother with watching what everyone else does.
                        I don't understand that either. Unless someone is being a total douche, I don't care what gets posted for the most part. However, if someone starts telling *me* what I can and cannot post on my own boards--Facebook or LJ--I tend to get a bit pissed. Why? Nobody forced anyone to read what I've posted. I talk about my model projects, the MG's upcoming suspension rebuild, the kitties, work, etc. I make no apologies for what I post, but I'll be damned if someone is going to dictate what I do. Fuck that. Don't like that I've spent multiple posts about the various tools and parts I just bought? Too damn bad. There's the door, don't let it hit your ass on the way out

Comment

Working...
                        X