Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delete this?

Exterminate! Exterminate!

(changed my mind, how do i delete this?)
    Last edited by PepperElf; 05-17-2012, 03:24 AM. Reason: changed my mind on posting. trying to figure out how to delete this

I had wondered that before also. It would truly help at times to be able to delete your own thread that you started.

Comment

You click the report button and request that the mods delete it.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Or we could leave it here and have it become doctor who quote war.

This isn't war this is pest control.

Comment

Being able to delete your own post when it's the first of a thread would be troublesome. Don't like the way an argument you started is going? Just make it all vanish!
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I specifically set up member accounts to be of the sort that when you post something, you mean it.

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              Being able to delete your own post when it's the first of a thread would be troublesome. Don't like the way an argument you started is going? Just make it all vanish!
              Good point. Although in my case there was no replies since I trashed my own thread about 60 seconds after I made it

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
              Or we could leave it here and have it become doctor who quote war.

This isn't war this is pest control.
              I like that!

Captain Jack Harkness: Earth, 1892. Got in a fight on Ellis Island. Man shot me through the heart, then I woke up. Thought it was kinda strange. But then it never stopped. Fell off a cliff, trampled by horses, world war one, world war two, poison, starvation, a stray javelin...

The Doctor: [painful] Ooh!

Comment

Hmm, good point raised in here. Should we prevent people from being able to edit their own posts?

Rapscallion
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I third the Doctor Who Quote...thing.

The Doctor: I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
                  Slade: [stunned] ...No.
                  The Doctor: In that case: Allons-y!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                    Hmm, good point raised in here. Should we prevent people from being able to edit their own posts?

Rapscallion
                    I'd really rather you didn't. I frequently have to edit because I misspelled something or left out a word or what have you. And I even proofread!

Comment

Considering that it's likely that the vast majority of edits are either to correct typos (I know I do that for at least a quarter of my posts), tighten the grammar, or edit out things that a poster realizes weren't said in as decent a manner as intended, I would suggest that disallowing the self-editing of posts would have a notable and immediate negative effect on the board. Plus, you'd end up with about five times the work on the admin side just to handle all of the "Oh, crap, I didn't really mean to be that much of a dick, please edit my post so people don't flame me" requests.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

and again i understand if the thread was something like .... "I think all Klingons should be sterilized for the good of the economy" and the OP gets their ass handed to them... sure don't delete.

cos even the doctor can't cross his own timeline after all.

"Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden — except for cheap tricks"

although if you want, there's a compromise version too - allowing for editing/proofreading for x amount of time. like what they do at m3c

Comment

The other site I frequent, Ars Technica, has a case-by-case policy with regard to editing. You can edit your post as you see fit with no time limit, but wholesale revisionist changes (especially deleting or "zeroing out" an entire post because you didn't like the reaction to it) are considered no-nos, and doing it repeatedly can get you a temp ban. That said, the site DOES allow you to delete posts and threads up until someone else responds to it.
                          Last edited by Nekojin; 05-17-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

You do realise we don't allow grammar flames, right?

Rapscallion
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I edit posts when I catch em cause it sounded better in my head. My brain needs a little work.

Comment

Working...
                              X