No announcement yet.

Calling people martyrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, stupid comments aside, my point is that these people using words like "fag" as a slur...they're NOT. You say the meaning can't change? It HAS changed. And not just because of me.

If you're a homosexual and you play wow and see someone call the lich king a faggot...GET OVER YOUR FUCKING GAY SELF. They're not talking about you.

Comment

First, my comments were not stupid.

Second, continue with that antagonistic attitude elsewhere, or you don't play here. I'm not in the mood to put up with your usual attempts to make your fellow forumers into punching bags.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

*I* have an antagonistic attitude? You going to troll me with your insanely stupid comments and run and hide when I snap back?

Comment

By request, then.

Rapscallion
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

raps, i think i love you sometimes.

(slightly innapropriate comment i know. it just had to be said)
            Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM.
            All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I'd appreciate it if we could get back on with the subject at hand, thanks.

Rapscallion
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Saw that coming.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to themselves as a martyr, only ever be accused of trying to play one for sympathy.
                I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Martyr is one of the few insults that I've rarely heard thrown around unless it is entirely fitting and appropriate. The example conversation in the OP...no conversation like that has ever taken place. The other person would've said "Wow, rough day, huh?" A martyr isn't somebody who complains about work, it's somebody who acts like the entire world is trying to crucify them at any given moment. It's not much different than drama queen, really.

Comment

I know what you mean, Jaden.

I know I'm being actually really insulting and rude calling my coworkers that, and the way I'm using the word isn't what it used to mean.

It just seems fitting though, ya know? Someone who subjects themselves willingly to whatever abuse at work or wherever, then complains about how tired or taken advantage of that they are.

Comment

My former mother-in-law loved to play the martyr.

She'd request something be done and I'd specifically ask what time limit was set on the something (because I'm a procrastinator, and will wait until the last minute). She'd give me a time, I'd let the time get close, and before it got there, she'd do the chore and then whine about how much work she did around the house.

Then again, this is the woman so neurotic about cleanliness that when I tipped over a glass of water on her new scotchgarded carpet, she had to run to get a warm bowl of soapy water to clean it up with. She also, despite being a nurse, honestly believed that lice would spontaneously generate from being dirty. >_<

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, my mom plays the martyr really well with my dad's little drinking problem.

She and I got into it yesterday, because I told her I didn't want dad getting into my car and driving it (I've been having a problem with some funny noises) because he's had a few beers and quite frankly, my dad likes to mark his territory, meaning, rip a lot of ass. And, for some reason, wherever he does it, it sticks. I know, petty, but I like to have a nice smelling car.

She then starts her pouty look and nearly gets weepy, going "Why should I be the only one who has to deal with him drinking and borrowing the car?! Why should I be the only one who has to deal with him making everything smell around here?!"

Um, because you married him?

Oh, I did tell her that. She got really, really mad. Because, as a family, we should ALL have to babysit and deal with dad. Not just her. It's not FAIR, ya know. She passively aggressively plays little games with him that only further encourage him to drink more and act more obnoxious and childish, so she gets even more pissed at him, and then dares to try to make my brother and I have to stay at home with him so she can get away from him for a while.

When she starts the fake crying and the "poor me" routine, I try to remind her that I dated a real bad, violent alcoholic, and that it's not fair to try to force others to "deal" with that person. You can get away or you can stay and keep whining.

Comment

I only hate "martyrs" when they try to manipulate or guilt you into doing things for them. Like if they make some needless sacrifice and lord it over your head to make you look like a selfish prick. Those people are miserable. I can't think of any real life examples at the top of my head, but the horrible song "Grenade" by Bruno Mars is good fictional one.

If someone genuinely wants to help people, fine, but it shouldn't be used as a guilt tool to manipulate others.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                            I only hate "martyrs" when they try to manipulate or guilt you into doing things for them.
                            grandma is fantastic at that. she wonders why some members of the family don't speak to her anymore.
                            she picks fights with everyone and then cries when you tell her to knock it off, that she was only trying to help/ speaking out of concern/ love/ egoism.
                            we arent letting her be alone with my bro's kids when they get older, just to avoid dealing with the passive-agressive drama.
                            All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Oh God, that "Grenade" example is perfect!!!

Comment

This thread made me think of a Facebook posting I saw. It said, "Some people on high horses are actually riding a mule on stilts." All I could think when I saw that post was, "I guess every ass needs an asshole." Sorry, that's just what I think of the drama queen martyrs.

Comment

Working...
                                X