Private Property =/= Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
    That's still the owner's complaint to make, not yours. And, even aside from that, it doesn't really explain why you would object to someone who is not threatening anybody, dumping, blocking traffic, making noise, or any other side complaint that actually affects anyone (which "trespassing" does not) you care to come up with making use of stuff nobody else wants.
    In this case I agree with the complaint.

since it was explained above that it is indeed illegal it can bring to mind other issues

1) if people are illegally pawing thru the trash what other laws will they break? Will they also break into cars to steal valuables? This could easily escalate into more crime.

Plus if they make a mess ... well that's just nasty. And unhealthy

2) If they're dumping then...
    - first off if they fill it then it means legal residents have nowhere to put their trash. and they are paying for the service in their rent

- if they're illegally dumping chemicals then it poses a fire hazard too.

Comment

I'll admit I've done this. There is a VERY large, sprawling apartment complex a few blocks down the hill from me. They have a big main dumpster area in addition to all the little ones, that has a big open space behind a little gate. On any given day, this contains (in addition to about thirty assorted shopping carts) anything from couches, chairs, bed parts, tables, shelves, pictures and/or lamps to microwaves, TVs, tires, etc. I walk at night (quieter, less traffic and noise) for exercise, and I usually walk through this complex as it's the best route down the hill. En route, I usually check this area.

I never dig in the dumpsters or leave a mess. Sometimes I take home broken lamps and use the electrical parts in other projects. On one occasion, I found an adorable little girl's bicycle in full working order dumped in there, and after it staying a few days, I took it to a nearby corner and set it out, hoping someone else would find it and put it to use. Did the same with a Razor scooter once, after leaving it for a few days to make sure it wasn't just hidden there temporarily. The stuff in this area, the big stuff, gets collected as trash infrequently; it often sits there for weeks or months.

There are NO "No Trespassing" signs on property - I know it's still trespassing, but I doubt anyone cares since I don't dig, make noise, or make a mess. I figure that once it's thrown away, I'd rather a lamp be stripped of its cord and socket and have parts put to use again than just adding the whole darned thing to the landfill.

Comment

Working...
      X