Taking away my menu bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking away my menu bar

Seriously this seems to be the trend of newer software either removing file, edit, view, altogether or hiding it, this is why I don't want to switch to google chrome. At least when office did it, it gave us an interface rather than just one button in the corner.

Press the ALT key and it comes back.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

after pressing alt, go in to view and click Toolbars>Menu and it comes back, yes I made me crazy for a while too and I still get calls at work to remote in and fix this because some people cant press alt it seems.

Comment

Google chrome doesn't have it all and yes I know how to add it back.

Further related rant on my tablet I miss my delete key.

Comment

I'll be honest, I never even noticed it was missing from Chrome, but then again I've never really needed to do anything browsing wise that I couldn't already do with right-click (which, naturally, doesn't seem to be supported with the recently downloaded Safari.. how do you Mac users deal with it!?).

Chrome's an exception to the rule for me, however, as I tend to get rather annoyed whenever any other program behaves in that kind of manner. Often times, though, it'll dissapear due to my own foolishness (ooh, what does THIS button do!?).

(I've actually removed many, if not all, of the menu, bookmark, and similar bars from IE9 because the only thing I use it for is streaming my favorite radio station, and I have the window shrunk to fit the borders of the stream page's appearance.)
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Macs (and Safari, even in Windows, unless it's been removed only from the Windows version and only within the past couple of weeks) allow right-clicking.

If you're using a trackpad, you do it by tapping with two fingers rather than one.

And our menu bar never goes anywhere Though occasionally you'll run into something that doesn't really *use* it.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
              this is why I don't want to switch to google chrome. At least when office did it, it gave us an interface rather than just one button in the corner.
              Never really noticed, when working in the call center you didn't have time to use the mouse, got used to the keyboard shortcuts, which are universal with browsers, my husband(who works in IT as a Net admin) also just uses the shortcuts.

Personally I'd rather adapt sooner, than be left behind when everything changes, and the option you prefer is no longer available.

My cell phone company(us cellular) only offers 3 phones that aren't touchscreen smartphones(out of 21), verizon has 13(out of 68), AT&T 9(out of 57), and sprint only 4(out of 34), pretty soon the people that have opted out of change thus far are going to be 100% out of options(it's not economical for the companies to manufacture obsolete equipment) and will be 100% clueless on how to switch, and facing a very steep learning curve, that they themselves caused by not taking the baby steps along the way.

My husband's job announced the work machines would be upgraded to windows 7 six months after it's release, hubs updated his home computer so he would be used to the changes(as did about half of his coworkers), guess which ones were screaming the loudest that it "sucked" and they were unable to do their jobs?

Progress and change occurs over time, regardless of an individual's desires, and the more a person digs their heels in against it, the farther behind they'll be, and they'll have to climb over a huge pile of dirt to catch up as well.

It the equivalent of whining that Diablo III won't run on your pentium 3, windows 98 machine with a 28.8 modem, or if you prefer, bitching that you can't play super mario galaxy on your original 8 bit nintendo.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

That depends on the context. Yes, you might as well go ahead and get used to the current version of Windows. No, that has nothing whatsoever to do with learning to like features (or lack thereof) in a particular web browser when others are available, nor is it a reason not to complain when the changes are for the worse even if you have adjusted to the new way.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  that has nothing whatsoever to do with learning to like features (or lack thereof) in a particular web browser when others are available
                  But how long will they be available?

when one model is successful, others emulate that model(touch screen phones), soon enough there isn't enough demand for the previous model and it becomes obsolete and is no longer designed that way or supported.

Comment

That depends on whether enough people like the option to keep it around... and what reason is there to assume that its lack of this particular feature has nothing to do with why the people who *don't* use Chrome have stuck with other browsers? What reason is there to assume that it will vanish entirely, rather than at least remaining an option?

Comment

I remember going on a work computer which was there only to sign on to the internal ethernet intranet thing that relied on servers rather than the computer's loaded programs. This computer had IE4 on it. None of the websites were working on it; not even Google, nor the website one needs to go to to upgrade IE... Oops!! XD

I'm still using IE (though a version double than the one I found on this work computer!!) It's amusing to watch the browser wars rage. I'm okay with what I use currently; I don't go to many websites, perhaps a range of 10-15, and I keep my antivirus up to date. It works for me, though I'm not happy with the removed features of more modern IE, so I may switch to something else in time...but at my own pace, and not at the behest of anyone else.

As for smartphones, I worry about my parents who hate technology, can't text and are certain that dumbphones are going to keep going on and on, for as long as they need them...while I see nothing but smartphones flooding the market. XD I still have an old Nokia Navigator, though I am of the type who will use their phone until it dies a death. Helps I'm not being pestered to upgrade as I'm on PAYG. Housemate has a smartphone now, and I've used it a number of times, and I've decided to look for something with a stylus or a third-party one available. Not liking the mistakes my fat fingertip keeps making XP

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
                        I've decided to look for something with a stylus or a third-party one available.
                        that would be...all of them. A touchscreen stylus isn't specific to a single phone, it works on all of them.

Comment

On one hand, I know that's where the technology is going, but on the other hand, I haaaaaate touchscreen-only phones. Mine has a touchscreen, but it also has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. I can text at the speed of light with it! Hubby's Window Phone? A simple message takes 5 minutes and a lot cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                            A simple message takes 5 minutes and a lot cursing.
                            and when I first got mine it took forever to send a message, now I type on the touchscreen quicker than on my computer keyboard, predictive text is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                              and when I first got mine it took forever to send a message, now I type on the touchscreen quicker than on my computer keyboard, predictive text is awesome!
                              I don't know how good the Windows Phone on-screen typing is, but with Swype on my Android, I haven't flipped my physical keyboard out since I first messed with it when it was brand new.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X