That's Too Much!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's Too Much!

All right. I mainly don't go to specific sites for news, but instead have RSS feeds for news on subjects I'm interested in. So I read a little bit each from a lot of sites... and, fairly often, get involved in comment threads. So I'm used to registering for a bunch of them (and much prefer Disqus, unless the site's specific implementation of it is horrible.) Sometimes, sites which have their own system will nonetheless have you log in through your choice of other sites. How convenient... but sometimes, they demand way too much for the privilege.

Just now, for example, I tried first to sign in through Facebook. Oh, you're going to post garbage on my wall? "No thanks," as the button said.... but instead of letting me comment anyway, it put me back at the method selection screen.

OK, how about Google? Fine, except they require *access to my contacts list.*

##### no. And so on. Now, until recently, there was often a "YES! PLEASE HAVE EVERYONE YOU KNOW SPAM ME!" checkbox, which could simply be deselected, but now they're going tough. It's just.... aggravating. And sleazy.

(The email spam I've been unable to avoid is usually something I couldn't possibly want anyway, like half off plumbing service from a local company a thousand miles away. You'd think they'd take location into consideration... but of course, sending emails is essentially free, so why bother?)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Fun fact about Gmail: You can set unique email addresses based off of your actual email address. Unless the site has a setup that strips the added characters you can put in, you can just set a filter to shunt it right past your inbox.

Article at Lifehacker

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The thing is, I don't particularly mind their having my email address. Besides mail being easy to delete, it's pretty much public (and, for that matter, easy to guess). Contact list is a whole other matter.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
      X