British Republicans!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Republicans!!

YOU!! Yes, you there standing on the street, posting bile on the internet, taking over comment sections in news websites and arsing about in Letters to the Editor!! Yes YOU, constantly bitching about our Monarchy and Royal Family and how you want to get rid of them!! Yes YOU who tell me half the time that I'm a fucking moron!!

I HATE YOU. GO DIE IN A FIRE.

I have...resisted...ranting about these pond scum because of the spirit of this weekend. But once again, when we come to any British celebration, they come in their droves and WHINE! One should be able to ignore their bleatings - after all, it's highly unlikely our Royal Family are going anywhere, thank deities - but when they turn it into a personal attack on all Royalists everywhere, yup, then it pisses me off.

IT'S THE BLOODY JUBILEE. SHUT UP!! SHUT THE GODDAMN HELL UP AND LET ME ENJOY THE STUFF ON TV!!! Take your example from the Yanks, or the rare few friendly and tolerant BRs in my circle, who are usually happy to let Royalists enjoy themselves FOR ONCE!! Yes SOME PEOPLE actually like and support our Monarchy - SHOCK HORROR - and we're watching the pageant and the concert because we want to!!

Fratching, I am so sorry I've had to post this; I truly, truly tried to ignore it. But it's got to the point I have to unbottle because it drove me to the Gaviscon. I didn't post this in Politics because they don't really have a decent leg to stand on and also people might take my attitude towards replacing the Welsh with British Republicans in the ancient law that makes it legal to put an arrow in them in the high street or as a serious political stance (just be thankful I am never considering ever standing for office; I've seen my political compass result and many might call it rather terrifying!!) I'm sorry for unloading my bile on you again *offers towels* I don't really mean the bow and arrow thing it just gives me a happy thought to calm me down.

I would be watching it, too! I think the pageantry of things like the Royal Wedding or the Diamond Jubilee is fascinating, and when Elizabeth II finally does step down, I will glued to my TV for the Coronation of the new Monarch. Besides, it's not like the Royal Family just sits around in silk pajamas all day. They have all served in the military (it's a requirement, I believe), they all do a lot of charity work, make diplomatic visits, etc. I've seen interviews from Elizabeth II and Prince Charles and they both seemed to be very intelligent and personable.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
      I would be watching it, too! I think the pageantry of things like the Royal Wedding or the Diamond Jubilee is fascinating, and when Elizabeth II finally does step down, I will glued to my TV for the Coronation of the new Monarch. Besides, it's not like the Royal Family just sits around in silk pajamas all day. They have all served in the military (it's a requirement, I believe), they all do a lot of charity work, make diplomatic visits, etc. I've seen interviews from Elizabeth II and Prince Charles and they both seemed to be very intelligent and personable.
      I think I will sit and watch the Coronation as well, as it would have to be more interesting than the Innauguration (sp?) of the US President (plus will be the first time in my life it has happened).

Just my opinion, Prince Charles has no personality (or at least the personality of cardboard). Queen Elizabeth II, though, does seem quite nice.

Comment

Semi-relevant: I once had an argument with a member from another forum, who insisted that he knew all about the US government, but that we didn't know dick about the UK government. The argument was already fairly heated (and I'm 80% sure he was drunk) when he declared that the Royal Family has NO power whatsoever. He got downright belligerent when I suggested otherwise.

Excuse me? Perhaps they don't have de facto direct authority, but they're high-class, heavily socially-connected, and rich. They have power. They even have political power, if they choose to exert their social power enough.

Comment

I think the Queen still has veto power over the Government, and I know she has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister to let him bitch freely about the Cabinet/Opposition/etc and to let her voice any concerns.

I get the 'useless' argument from these tits constantly too. They know NOTHING. AT ALL. Single-handedly she had improved UK relations to other countries - remember when she visited the Republic of Ireland and made the Irish PM go 'wow!!' when she spoke in Irish? Eeeeyup. She pulls a more difficult job, with no holidays or anything, dawn till dusk every day, than the vast majority of us.

And yet still those arsehole BRs spout that they do nothing...

Comment

I don't get the complaints. First, complaining about the Jubilee: what, you don't like an excuse for the nation to throw a party? It's not like this happens every day...

As for the monarchy itself, well, if you're going to argue that they don't actually have power within the government, and you're against having kings and queens, wouldn't you prefer a powerless one? Besides, she keeps the prime minister from having to act as head of state, and last I heard, the royal family is actually *profitable* for the treasury (or whatever it's called over there) so complaints about lavish spending don't make a lot of sense either.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

They complain about the Jubilee because 'it costs the taxpayer monies!!' ...even though in the big documentary that was released for the occasion they say she costs the taxpayer 40p a year each. XP (I don't have a better cite unfortunately.) 'It blocks the roads and makes a big mess - plus no-one will ever go to see it anyway!!' Uhh seventy thousand people on her front drive last night for the concert?!

They complain about the Monarchy because they call them inbred hicks (Middleton put paid to that), lazy and unconcerned (nope), and seriously think that some guy we have to elect every X years would be better than a solid, stable, quiet and determined Head of State. Seriously?!

The ones on FB are out in full force, they use all these points but mostly the basic argument of 'I just don't like them and neither should you'. It's the ad hominem which makes me want to rip their heads off...also their solid determination to cast the entire country into pointless chaos. Oh for the time when this would have been considered low treason...

Comment

Yeah, the last time we had Republicans take over... look at how well THAT turned out.

Prince William and Kate are very popular; not just with the English, but with a lot of Americans, too.
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

How much of this is not liking British republicans, or just those who are offensive about how they make their point (which is certainly where calling them inbred would fall)?

I'm one and I'm certainly not one to criticise those who think the monarchy is a good thing and the current incumbent is doing a good job. I'd like to disagree on the first point, and not be completely in agreement with the latter (I think some things she has done well, yet I'd want to see her doing some things differently).

I think the cost arguments are rather misleading however you care to present them. The 40p per person per year I think only relates to some of the costs involved and is on the whole population, not the taxpayers. Though even if you go for the higher estimations it's still only a couple of pounds a year. Not sure about how much they bring in directly or what couldn't be replaced, for instance could more money not be made from Buckingham Palace if they were gone?

However, I don't base my opinion on the above, I just don't feel in a democracy it's right to have the head of state selected purely by birth, particularly as the environment they grow up in has such an effect upon their outlook. It would be good to see someone who is more reflective of my background and isn't used to privilige. I know if I diagree with the position of the governent I will get a chance to vote them out and if large enough proportion of the rest of the electorate agree with me then they will go. I'd like that for my head of state.

We don't have to lose all the excuses to celebrate what is good about being British, some of the ceremonies both modern and very historical could stay and there is the opportunity for others, e.g. a national celebration to recognise a new republic.

I'd favour something more ceremonial as a replacement, perhaps looking at the Irish or Swiss for inspiration and there wouldn't be anything to stop members of the Windsor family standing. If people still want them then they'll have the opportunity to appoint them.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
                    Oh for the time when this would have been considered low treason...
                    Actually, it would have been High Treason. The only other kind of Treason is petty Treason, and that was in the Feudal days, when it meant you attacked your Lord, but not the King. Apparently it used to be considered a good time to go out with the family to see someone get executed in those days.

Comment

Petty Treason often refered to any woman who dared to kill her Lord and Master, ie her husband. Women who were convicted of petty treason were strangled and burned. Not as humane as it sounds; sometimes it went wrong, such as in the case of Catherine Hayes.
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Jubilee - Thames Pageant

I am completely anti-Royalty. The notion that there is a sliding scale of quality of people based solely on parentage is obscene to me, and totally contrary to democracy and egalitarianism.

However, I did ask friends with cable to PVR the Thames Pageant for me, and participated in two Jubilee parties over the weekend. I made a lovely elderflower fizz from a recipe in the Sunday Times.

A diamond jubilee is about as rare as a transit of Venus.

Comment

Songs has calmed down now. ^^ I dislike the BRs who go BLARRRRGH and are rude and don't know how to argue. Sane BRs like you two are much nicer and seem much rarer. ^^ *hugs* I do see the major point you're making - my friend Ed, who is the only BR I know IRL and who is lovely, makes the same point. But there we'll have to agree to disagree because I see little wrong with it ^^ and - Oooh elderflower fizz? Can I have some?

Were you able to watch the concert? I thought it was pretty awesome. There was a moment Housemate and I went 'uh oh' because when the Queen arrived she looked a little miserable and was wearing a black coat, and with her hubby in the hospital....but it was a false alarm.

I found out that the next Jubilee would be a Platinum Jubilee, at 70... >.<

Comment

Originally posted by Pinecone View Post

A diamond jubilee is about as rare as a transit of Venus.
                            Don't worry, Harry or William will be having one certainly (I can't remember which is first in line after Charles). Unless we're going to have a 2xDiamond Jubilee for 120 years on the throne as Queen Elizabeth just won't die or abdicate the throne.

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
                              Don't worry, Harry or William will be having one certainly (I can't remember which is first in line after Charles).
                              "After Charles" being important. I don't think it's at all likely whichever of them it is would reign 60 years, because it's not likely they'll *begin* any time soon.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X