Changing RSS readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing RSS readers

I love RSS. Specifically, I'm very attached to the way Apple's Mail handles RSS feeds: the feeds show up in the sidebar just like they were mailboxes, however many items are available that you haven't deleted show up IN those mailboxes (as opposed to stopping at, say, ten, no matter how many there really are), items you haven't read yet are marked as unread and add to the count in the dock just like emails, and the *content* (or at least a preview, depending on the site) is available right there in Mail, plain black text on a white background plus any formatting or images, just like an email, only with a "Read more..." link at the bottom to take you to the actual web page if you want to go there.

A work of beauty.

Apple's decided to kill it.

So, rather than wait until that happens, or else deciding never again to update my software, I'm trying to find a replacement that works the way I want. So far, I'm doing very badly... especially on the "don't have to go to the website" front. Anybody have good suggestions? (And no, "you still use RSS? Get with the times" is not a good suggestion.)

This is also a complaint in general about existing products *removing* perfectly useful functions as they're updated. Since it already works, what possible benefit is there in NOT having a feature available to those who like it?

(In fact, I seem to have found one which suits me very nicely... though still, it was a lot of trouble just to duplicate what I already HAVE for no good reason.)
    Last edited by HYHYBT; 06-09-2012, 04:53 AM.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
    This is also a complaint in general about existing products *removing* perfectly useful functions as they're updated. Since it already works, what possible benefit is there in NOT having a feature available to those who like it?
    Thiiiiis. Hate hate hate this!! Lovely working functional useful things wiped because the head-in-the-cloud developers think it's perfect to get rid of it to make room for their new POS innovation that NOBODY USES and NOBODY LIKES. It's why I don't like any internet browser out there.

It even happens with games. They took the Contests out of Pokémon...

It's almost as if they don't listen to the consumer!! But why would they want to do that? They're only the people who the product is aimed at after all, their opinion doesn't matter

Comment

Working...
    X