And yet, more Job Application Bullshit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet, more Job Application Bullshit

Like having to have my own account for each application program. I can't just apply, I need to have several different accounts with complex passwords (because simple easy to remember passwords make it too easy). Just now, I was applying somewhere, filled out all the information, submitted it, but because I already had an account, it wouldn't submit unless I remembered my old password. I ended up having to start the whole thing over again!

It's like they're deliberatly making it difficult.

And don't get me started on those fields you HAVE to answer. Even if you have no job experience, they won't let you complete the application until you give something. Heck, even if you put all the info in the resume, they demand that you answer the question in the way they want it. How much money do I want? Well I always answer "Negotiable", but some of the application software demands that I put in a specific amount. They expect absolute, one size fits all answers, even though life does not work that way.

The more applications I fill out, the more I sympathize with the deadbeats.

I almost think this could go into the 'Social Woes' section.

I have filled out a lot of applications the past few years. What I like even more are those 'tests' that have no right or wrong answers. If there were no right or wrong answers, then they wouldn't have a test would they?

Comment

Oh but it's not what you answer, it's how you answer.

Seriously, WTF does that even mean?

Comment

One that especially gets me: I use Snagajob. I will read all the requirements listed before applying. So why is it that sometimes, after I've spent most of an hour filling out an application, they say they won't send it on to the employer because I don't fit their requirements? What POSSIBLE reason could there be for withholding said requirements from applicants? It serves, as far as I can see, no purpose whatsoever except to make people you won't even look at applications from fill them out.

Also, forms which have multiple choice options for certain answers with no way of saying "other" and nothing that quite matches the truth, then say at the end the usual business that if your application turns out not to be completely accurate they'll fire you.

Also, online applications which claim to use the information from your uploaded resume, only it's scrambled so horribly you have to do more work to make sure none of the errors the site created get through than it would have been to fill out the form from scratch.

Also, sites which don't *ask* for a returning applicant username and password at the beginning, but instead wait until you've filled out pages of info and *then* say "wait, you've been here before, you'll have to log in and start over." Then make you fill most of it in again anyway.

I have a couple of standard usernames and passwords for these things... and an Excel file keeping track of where I've applied and when those expire, with space to add those if a site's requirements don't fit my usuals.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Also, forms which have multiple choice options for certain answers with no way of saying "other" and nothing that quite matches the truth, then say at the end the usual business that if your application turns out not to be completely accurate they'll fire you.
          If I had a dollar for every time I ran into that problem. Most of the problems I have with applications stem from this.

Also, online applications which claim to use the information from your uploaded resume, only it's scrambled so horribly you have to do more work to make sure none of the errors the site created get through than it would have been to fill out the form from scratch.
          Which is why they should just allow you to send the damn resume and skip those steps. If the information is on the resume, than there shouldn't be any need to fill those boxes.

Also, sites which don't *ask* for a returning applicant username and password at the beginning, but instead wait until you've filled out pages of info and *then* say "wait, you've been here before, you'll have to log in and start over." Then make you fill most of it in again anyway.
          That's exactly what happened to me today. They didn't even have the curtiousy to tell me I needed a user name until after I filled it out.

I suspect a lot of this is just a patience test to filter more applicants. It's a real dirty trick, but it's right up their alley.

Comment

I have applied to a few jobs that wait until you get to the end of an hour long application to tell you that their system only works with Internet Explorer and that if you are using a different browser that you will have to start over using IE. This sucks since I use Firefox. Unless it is a job I REALLY want, I don't bother to go back and do it over.

Comment

Originally posted by freeatlast View Post
              I have applied to a few jobs that wait until you get to the end of an hour long application to tell you that their system only works with Internet Explorer and that if you are using a different browser that you will have to start over using IE. This sucks since I use Firefox. Unless it is a job I REALLY want, I don't bother to go back and do it over.
              Oooohhhh... I've run into that as well. If your site has specific system requirements, *list them up front!*

One other I'd forgotten about: it was either Dish Network or DirecTV, they let you do first the hour-long personality test, then the application... THEN they give additional requirements such as having to be under a certain weight. Now, I can understand the weight restriction for a job that's going to involve crawl spaces and ladders... but what possible reason could they have had for waiting until the end to mention it?

Which is why they should just allow you to send the damn resume and skip those steps. If the information is on the resume, than there shouldn't be any need to fill those boxes.
              I see it the other way around: if I'm going to have to fill out the boxes, why do you want me to attach a resume? For the people doing the hiring, though, the form is much more useful: it contains exactly the information they want, arranged the same way for each applicant. Whereas everyone's resume is a bit different, and yours probably includes items they don't care about and might well also leave off information they *do* want.

(As for multiple choice forms that don't cover enough possibilities: Wal-Mart seems to be the worst about this. Try filling out the sections on work experience if you don't believe me...)
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I have encountered the double-dipping on several occasions.

When I've applied for jobs online, not only have I had to submit a resume, but I've also had to fill out the EXACT same information on my resume in the boxes. Including the names of my referees! -.-

(Thankfully the place I am training at now is going to let me submit a resume without needing to fill out the stupid application form)

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                  I have encountered the double-dipping on several occasions.

When I've applied for jobs online, not only have I had to submit a resume, but I've also had to fill out the EXACT same information on my resume in the boxes. Including the names of my referees! -.-
                  Partially because there's stuff we need to know which may or may not be on your C.V : and partially because we check C.V against application form to see if you lied on your C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                    Partially because there's stuff we need to know which may or may not be on your C.V : and partially because we check C.V against application form to see if you lied on your C.V.
                    I'll split your response up and address both points:

-The stuff they're asking for is already on my resume. Basically my resume covers the basic details, my education, my previous work history, my certifications (which will be updated soon because of my swimming instructor certification) and my referees. They ask for ALL of that. Usually the stuff that's not on my resume that they ask for are things like why I left my last job, who my manager was (because I worked more shifts with the night supervisors, they were my references, rather than my actual line manager), what I would do if faced with <x> situation and my availability and whatnot. THAT I can understand. (ETA: oh and mode of transport. While I do have my drivers licence, it doesn't necessarily mean I HAVE a car )

-This might sound a bit strange, but have you ever actually come across people who've done that? Because if I planned for that, I would've made up a resume, put all the correct information in about my qualifications and whatnot and hoped I got an interview

Comment

Those online applications probably autofill into an easily searchable spreadsheet so that the hiring manager/HR person/office flunky doing the initial cull can scan through easily and mark out the people who don't have the basic qualifications. Once someone has made it through the first or second cut does someone actually go through the cover letters and resumes/CVs.

Comment

I haven't been in the job search for a long time, but I'm curious. Are these website forms to apply directly to a company, or are they from some intirim company that will apply for you, or something like that?

Because if it was the later, I'd be wary about those companies (unless they have a lot of good history) since they're basically loading up their DB's with lots of information on people for whatever purposes they may want.

Comment

Working...
                        X