No announcement yet.

Judgmental jerks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passover *requires* wine, and there's no way, until the 19th century, it could have been unfermented grape juice because it occurs at the wrong time of the year. The Last Supper was a Passover meal. Throw in those and there's no point in saying the other positive references to wine aren't referring to alcohol.

Personally... I have a somewhat-related problem that crops up when people find out I don't drink. With some people, at least. They just can't seem to comprehend that a person might simply not enjoy it (which is the true reason, in my case) but instead insist there has to be some other reason behind it, like being a recovering alcoholic or objecting on religious grounds.

She is also heavy into drugs and is just so judgmental of everyone, but yet, acts as if her poop don't stink.
    Perhaps the drugs have damaged her olfactory nerve.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
      I'm tired of hearing some friends of mine brag about how they don't drink or engage in sexual intercourse because they're super-Christians, or they stay pure, or whatever. And what sucks is, I used to be one of them. I used to be "that guy". The guy who would tell you how he never drank or did anything that might make God upset.
      I knew a couple like that when I was in college. A "couple" because these two twits were dating. They were constantly going on about "no sex before marriage," "no drinking," etc. Yet...these two were constantly all over each other. We had members actually *quit* the service fraternity, simply because they didn't like the holier-than-thou couple's antics. Trust me, there's a time for "touchy-feely" and it's *not* at frat meetings!

But, what *really* pissed most of us off, is the lectures. Seriously, it's *none* of your business what goes on in others' bedrooms. Plus, we all know that you're getting it on, so quit preaching. Quite a few of us saw both of you leaving certain dorms at night. ("Dorms," because the college I went to didn't have coed dorms at the time.)

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Personally... I have a somewhat-related problem that crops up when people find out I don't drink. With some people, at least. They just can't seem to comprehend that a person might simply not enjoy it (which is the true reason, in my case) but instead insist there has to be some other reason behind it, like being a recovering alcoholic or objecting on religious grounds.
        Or, in my case (think of 2 stereotypes - I have both in my background, one from each side of the family), just being a cheapskate. In University, the campus pub had a daily "burger, fries, and soda" special, and a daily beer special. Both were the same price. On days when I had a late extracurricular activity, I'd buy lunch, and have my "brown bag" for dinner. To me, booze was just a waste of money - I don't need chemical help to get loud and obnoxious.

Comment

I really don't care if somebody else drinks or not. I can have a good time with or without alcohol. If you don't like it, then whatever man, you're making better life decisions than me How could I hold that against you? It's just when people look down on me because I do like to drink with my friends, or other things which they find don't conform with their worldview.

Comment

Or, in my case (think of 2 stereotypes - I have both in my background, one from each side of the family), just being a cheapskate.
            Two stereotypes... you're a comedian, and you play the violin?
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Passover *requires* wine, and there's no way, until the 19th century, it could have been unfermented grape juice because it occurs at the wrong time of the year. The Last Supper was a Passover meal. Throw in those and there's no point in saying the other positive references to wine aren't referring to alcohol.
              Dumb question, but for the Seder, do kids just drink grape juice?

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                Didn't someone in the Bible turn water into wine?
                Yeah, the same guy that said blessed are the cheesemakers and something about a rich guy getting into heaven at about the same time as a camel will fit through the eye of a needle. (now I realize the needle in this case is the little door off to the side of the main gate but that is still a pretty daunting task).

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                  With my family (my step Grandfather is Hebrew) I drank grape juice. I actually loved doing Passover more than anything. It was fun for me. Haven't done it in years since everyone is spread out. I don't know how everyone else does it with the wine/grape juice thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                    Yeah, the same guy that said blessed are the cheesemakers and something about a rich guy getting into heaven at about the same time as a camel will fit through the eye of a needle. (now I realize the needle in this case is the little door off to the side of the main gate but that is still a pretty daunting task).
                    There never was any such gate.

Comment

I thought the Eye of a Needle story referred to getting a rope made out of camel hair through the said eye. O.o Yay random Bible interpretations XD

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                        I knew a couple like that when I was in college. A "couple" because these two twits were dating. They were constantly going on about "no sex before marriage," "no drinking," etc. Yet...these two were constantly all over each other. We had members actually *quit* the service fraternity, simply because they didn't like the holier-than-thou couple's antics. Trust me, there's a time for "touchy-feely" and it's *not* at frat meetings!

But, what *really* pissed most of us off, is the lectures. Seriously, it's *none* of your business what goes on in others' bedrooms. Plus, we all know that you're getting it on, so quit preaching. Quite a few of us saw both of you leaving certain dorms at night. ("Dorms," because the college I went to didn't have coed dorms at the time.)
                        Twits: sounds like they were very sexually active. Even if the woman still had her hymen.

As for bedrooms... depends. If it's in a dorm then that all depends on how much noise they're making. *grin*

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                          I've been to two. I don't remember if it was for the first but for the second they did have both juice and wine available.

I remember because the second one was on base and they had recruits present. One of my acquaintances spoke to them and told them that they were indeed allowed to have the wine because it was part of a religious ceremony but they declined. I suspect (as did he) that the boot camp supervisors hinted that they'd be in serious trouble if they came back with wine on their breath.

Comment

Originally posted by bex1218 View Post
                            With my family (my step Grandfather is Hebrew) I drank grape juice. I actually loved doing Passover more than anything. It was fun for me. Haven't done it in years since everyone is spread out. I don't know how everyone else does it with the wine/grape juice thing.
                            Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                            I've been to two. I don't remember if it was for the first but for the second they did have both juice and wine available.

I remember because the second one was on base and they had recruits present. One of my acquaintances spoke to them and told them that they were indeed allowed to have the wine because it was part of a religious ceremony but they declined. I suspect (as did he) that the boot camp supervisors hinted that they'd be in serious trouble if they came back with wine on their breath.
                            Thank you for clearing that up guys. South Australia does not have a particularly huge Jewish community. (the main pockets are in Victoria and New South Wales. We have a grand total of two synagogues and up until recently, one Jewish school)

Comment

Working...
                            X