When I am a temp.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I am a temp.....

When I am a temp I hate the co-trainees of mine that are permanent employees that violate these two rules of mine:

1) Do not tell me that you needed the permanent position more than I did because you do not know my situation nor how much I need it.

2) Do not try to tell me that being a permanent employee in an uncertain economy is the exact same thing as being a temp. It's not. The company plans on keeping you and temps will be let go first if they start laying people off. You will have plenty of warning me I don't even know how long my contract will last.

Seriously this woman in my training class tried to equate her situation with mine. Part of why it pissed me off is at no point did I say any of the above.

What I said was, "I am glad I am in this training class that most temps apparently don't get because it means my chances for getting hired on permanently are better. I am working hard to make that happen." after finding out they themselves had been hired on permanently.

She then responded with the above statements. Seriously I get saying that shit if I had been whining about it sucks being a temp or something like that but instead I was merely reacting to the brand new information that the trainer just gave me advising me that having a temp go through a full training class was rare by expressing that I was glad of that fact as it makes my decision to continue to try and make the work permanent instead of seeking opportunities elsewhere a much better one in light of that.
    Last edited by jackfaire; 06-27-2012, 02:29 AM.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

*applauds* Hear hear!!

The way some people - both employers and co-workers - treat temps is abysmal.

Comment

I'm a temp right now, and my co-workers treat me like anyone else. (It may help that I'm at my hubby's workplace.) The only difference is that I'm hourly and they're all salaried.

Comment

Is the other woman in your class trying to "apologize" for being permanent or something? Why can't people just treat each other with respect and STFU? When I temped I was treated very well by other employees, as if I was one of them.

The way I see it, we're all there to do a job. Unless I'm a supervisor, someone else's employment status is none of my damn business.

Comment

The last time I was a temp I was in a place where everyone was a temp so we treated each other fine The company on the other hand....
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The last temp agency I worked for was Randstad back in 2001.

The company I was working with was going to hire me on after 8 months of temping.

Then they had to let go of all temps.

Then the entire office shut down.

They liked me so much at the company, that they told the temp agency they would like to let me know they had to let me go. It was an emotional meeting all around.

I don't really remember what it was like dealing with Randstad themselves. I never really had any problems. I know they didn't have direct deposit at the time though, which was annoying because I had to pick up my check from the agency office every week.

(By the way, it was for a stock/securities firm. I really liked the job and the environment. Too bad the industry is so volatile.)

Comment

Just wow, those comments make my hackles raise.

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
              1) Do not tell me that you needed the permanent position more than I did because you do not know my situation nor how much I need it.
              SCW: I needed the position more than you.
              Me: *looks at SCW* My kid has cancer.
              SCW:

Okay, I actually don't have kids and it's terrible to make up such a lie. But seriously, what a vile comment for your scummy co-worker to make.

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
              2) Do not try to tell me that being a permanent employee in an uncertain economy is the exact same thing as being a temp.
              *raises eyebrow* Just...wow. What an insensitive ass. Oh sure, you should go ahead and feel sorry for her getting that steady paycheck in a down economy.

And good luck becoming permanent!

Comment

Working...
              X