No announcement yet.

Selective Cheapness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How could I forget roommates. I lived in a room with no heat if the door was closed and my roomate didn't want to pay to heat my room if i wasn't home. So I would get back from class and he couldn't figure out why I was pissed when the water on my desk was fucking frozen. Quickly installed a lock to keep my personal heater on while I wasn't home. Real Irony was him never turning off secondary heat while he wasn't there long before I started leaving my only heat on. Greatest part he was months behind on rent and utilities and really should have just fucked himself and gotten a job instead of spending all day at home with the heat set to 80 and turning off my heat to balance the bill.

Comment

Don't try to tell my parents that repeatedly fucking with the temp setting is worse than leaving it on at the same temp all day......it's because I DARE move it to under 80 degrees. How. Dare. I.

I get that these people grew up in the 60s and 70s in homes without A/C. This was also before we had summers with multiple weeks of heat indices of over 110 FUCKING DEGREES. Pardonnez mon Francais, but that's HOT. I betcha ya'lls didn't have that back in the day, did you? Nope. Newsflash, cheapskates......it was hot enough the past few weeks, to buckle pavement and really MESS SHIT UP electrically. NO WONDER the bill is so high. EVERYONE'S bill is higher!!

Oh wait, I forgot...I'm talking about the people who, despite watching the news religiously, tend to "forget" that every year, electric rates tend to climb a good few percent each season!

Comment

Funny thing.... my latest electric bill is higher, too... and my AC quit working months ago! Plus one week of that month I wasn't even home, so nothing got used at all. I have no idea how that happened.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Apparently, I don't know the difference between truly being "too hot", and just panicking, thinking I'm too hot. And I don't utilize "natural" ways of keeping myself cool. Nevermind that I'm not allowed to use natural ways, like darkening rooms.

Because, ya know, it makes so much more sense to lay on the couch with ice packs than it does to turn the A/C on, or lower the room temp. It makes so much more sense to go around turning fans on and off while you enter/exit rooms and strategically place them as you move about, and it makes so much more sense to just sit there and try to tell yourself that you aren't hot.

Comment

Holly hell honey, how do your parents have the gall to blame you for the high electric bill when the temps have been in the 90’s and 100’s? Even I’m running the A.C. in certain rooms and keeping it on. And I like the heat. Everyone’s all for saving a buck, but not to the point that your passing out because of heat stroke.

Maybe if their so passionate about staying organic and earth friendly you can introduce them to a cave after you move. After all they stay around the 50s year round, but no electric bills at all.

Comment

Having suffered heat stroke once when I was a teenager (working at Magic Mountain, in one of their un-cooled food establishments), I have full sympathy for overheating. I hope you get a resolution that doesn't require you to sweat out every day!

Comment

Ugh, my little cousins are over and they have been in and out of the house. Every time they go inside or out, they leave the door open. My mom and my aunt, who were both sitting outside next to the door on the porch, didn't say anything and wouldn't close the door. Um, they are letting all the cool air out. Wasting so much power.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                  Having suffered heat stroke once when I was a teenager (working at Magic Mountain, in one of their un-cooled food establishments), I have full sympathy for overheating.
                  Me too. I get migraines if it's too hot in the house. Plus, I don't want the kitties to pass out and/or barf everywhere. So, the A/C is running if its seriously hot out. Not only do we have the 100-plus temps to deal with, but high humidity as well. Miserable conditions, in other words. I figure, the few dollars to run the unit all day is worth it.

Last week, it was well over 100, and I'm outside working on the damn car. All I was doing, was using a wire brush to remove rust from some suspension bits. Standing at the workbench, running a spinning brush over those parts had me sweating like a pig. I could understand if I was doing manual labor...but I was barely moving, and standing in the damn shade!

Comment

We won't even start on the pets or anyone else in the house. Everyone is fine. Uh huh.

And then they wonder why I will just park it in front of a fan and not move. Or just spend all day somewhere in an air conditioned store, or friend's house.

Comment

Working...
                    X